Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
That is not correct English. That is past tense and highly inappropriate for someone walking in the door. Have a blessed day, means well wishes. There are many people to where , no one ever gives them any thought all day/week/months/years-- in life.

Callous reality.
Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart is not only past tense. It can be present tense, as in thank you for choosing to shop at Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 05:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart is not only past tense. It can be present tense, as in thank you for choosing to shop at Wal-Mart.
That would be appropriate after they walk-out the door. No one needs a welcome ( because they are there) and no needs to hear a "thank-you" as soon as they arrive.

It would be a tough call really. I know in the Bentonville/Springdale/Fayetteville/Rogers/Centerton/Prairie Grove AR area ( including Jane. MO) the door greeters are not at the front door anymore. They are farther back than that.

Maybe this store hasn't changed their format yet.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
A friend does telephone customer service. She got written up because a customer said to her "have a blessed day" She said same for you. They said she was, essentially, saying have a blessed day to the customer, which violates their terms of religious statements.

Ok, she asked, what would be an appropriate response? Nothing, just say thank you for shopping with us....

Old 02-04-2015, 10:38 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,054 times
Any religion in your face is annoying, and I'm a Christian. It's like politics. Keep it to yourself, your family and friends.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:26 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Damn, we're really going downhill as a society when we're not even allowed to be nice anymore. I'm really surprised that in a state like Georgia anyone would have had an issue with the phrase in the first place. Let me guess, the person who complained was some ******* visiting from up North.
No one's saying he can't be nice. I like nice just fine. But I don't like, "Have a blessed day." First and foremost, precisely how would I accomplish that? If I could control blessings, I certainly wouldn't need him to tell me to do it. I would have blessed myself with enough cash I wouldn't need to shop at Walmart.

So since I can't control blessings, it implies to me that I need to pray or worship at some church or something that I'm not doing. If so, the message contains a certain rebuke. I don't live right. And If I'm supposed to think he's praying for me, I'd just as soon he didn't. There's a woman who says that on one of the home shopping networks and as soon as I see her, I turn the channel. It's a nonsensical thing to say.

The proper thing a "greeter" should be saying as far as I'm concerned is, "Welcome to Walmart." And if he wants to be extra nice, he could ask me if I need help with anything. The proper thing a clerk should be saying as I check out is, "Thank you for your purchase," "We appreciate your business," "Come again," or some such polite comment. That's customer service. Intruding on my spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof, is not.

And just for the record, I'm not from "up North." I live about as far South as one can get and still be in the U.S.A.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
No one's saying he can't be nice. I like nice just fine. But I don't like, "Have a blessed day." First and foremost, precisely how would I accomplish that? If I could control blessings, I certainly wouldn't need him to tell me to do it. I would have blessed myself with enough cash I wouldn't need to shop at Walmart.

So since I can't control blessings, it implies to me that I need to pray or worship at some church or something that I'm not doing. If so, the message contains a certain rebuke. I don't live right. And If I'm supposed to think he's praying for me, I'd just as soon he didn't. There's a woman who says that on one of the home shopping networks and as soon as I see her, I turn the channel. It's a nonsensical thing to say.

The proper thing a "greeter" should be saying as far as I'm concerned is, "Welcome to Walmart." And if he wants to be extra nice, he could ask me if I need help with anything. The proper thing a clerk should be saying as I check out is, "Thank you for your purchase," "We appreciate your business," "Come again," or some such polite comment. That's customer service. Intruding on my spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof, is not.

And just for the record, I'm not from "up North." I live about as far South as one can get and still be in the U.S.A.
TV

Yes! Great post!
Old black ladies in Brooklyn say "Have a blessed day" all the time. It makes no sense. Just some weird pointless jargon. If I walked into a business and was told that I'd wonder just what they are selling.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:16 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Although I do take notice of a phrase like this, I do understand the thought behind it and let it go.
What I wish cashiers and others interacting with customers would stop saying with a bright, cheery smile is
"How are you today?"
I don't want to appear grumpy and unfriendly but I do not enjoy to lying, even polite social lies, like the "Fine" most use as a response even when the true answer is "Lousy. I just came from the mortuary/hospital/huge fight with my best friend, etc, etc.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 AM

91 posts, read 212,392 times
Maybe the greeters should say Have a lousy day and make the Oscar the Grouches happy. LOL

Old 02-05-2015, 05:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Any religion in your face is annoying, and I'm a Christian. It's like politics. Keep it to yourself, your family and friends.
You summed that up very well in three sentences. My feelings exactly.

Don

Old 02-05-2015, 06:02 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
That would be appropriate after they walk-out the door. No one needs a welcome ( because they are there) and no needs to hear a "thank-you" as soon as they arrive.

It would be a tough call really. I know in the Bentonville/Springdale/Fayetteville/Rogers/Centerton/Prairie Grove AR area ( including Jane. MO) the door greeters are not at the front door anymore. They are farther back than that.

Maybe this store hasn't changed their format yet.
That's what they did at my store...for a while. They are back at the entrance now though. I used to be a greeter when I first started working there. I said "Hi how are you?" when they came in and "Have a good day!" when they left. As a cashier...the same. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events