Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 01:17 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Nobody said you couldn't be nice. What he was originally told was not to offend people by bringing his religious beliefs into their workplace. This may surprise you, but even in Georgia there are people who aren't religious, and believe it or not, some of them are even repubelicans.

Its an insult...its not a positive comment to many, that's what you aren't understanding.

So obviously absurd...you know that isn't the issue.

Because when you say that, it makes me feel that you are asking your God to smile on me and somehow make my day better. I don't like your God. I think your believe in God is a crutch for the weak minded people who need support to get through life. I dislike everything about your God, churches, policies, leaders etc. So when you "bless me" you are pushing all of that into my face, when all I really wanted was some milk and book.

While Walmart has softened their position, I would not shop at this store again if i lived in the area. It's the same when religious zealots put little fish signs in their windows, advertisements and business cards. Its a red flag to me to stay far away. Believe what you want and I'll believe what I want. Don't push, share, or promote your beliefs on me and we will get along fabulously.
And with that obvious lack of tolerance towards anything or anyone who doesn't march in lockstep with your beliefs ( or lack of same), which it would appear you carry on a large chip on your shoulder, I'd imagine these folks are just as happy NOT to see you at their establishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It just amazes me that one person can complain about something so innocuous that it would cause a major corporation to shake in its boots. Like that whole "Merry Christmas" debacle .

Me thinks everyone is too thin skinned these days.

Reminds me, years ago, I told a female co-worker "Good morning. You look nice today". Yup, I got a harassment complaint filed on me and had to attend "sensitivity" training.

It seems you are not permitted to smile, acknowledge, or say anything nice to anyone anymore.
Unless there is more to the story than you are reporting, that seems a shame.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Lets be clear about something else....you have no idea how something might be offensive to someone else. What you may be trying to say is they didn't intend to insult me, but that didn't work with racism and it doesn't work here. It's unlike anything else because its religion and people are passionate about religion. People die for religion and people kill for religion. When you say this to me, I am insulted. I don't want your blessing. I don't want your God to even know I exist, let alone interfere with my life by blessing me. Its no different to me than me telling you to "F off" as a greeting. As others have said, if I reply with "may Allah be with you today", people are going to freak out. So keep your religion to yourself in all aspects, and we will be fine.
Far as I can see, if someone is offended by a remark made by someone else that was obviously meant simply as a greeting, and NOT meant as an offense, the one offended is the one with the problem.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
Sadly I don't doubt the veracity of this story one bit. I was a temporary wal-mart greeter over the holidays to earn some extra cash. Since I was in Minnesota, which is well known to be the most liberal of all american states, we greeters received a mandatory PC training in which we were instructed to say "Seasons Greetings." I screwed up once, on Christmas Eve and said "Merry Christmas." I was immediately taken off the job and my paycheck was withheld until I purchased a DVD of Season 4 of Modern Family and passed a multiple choice quiz to prove I had watched every episode.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, my brother referred to these folks as "Walmart greeters and loss prevention" people some years ago, as he spoke his opinion about the greeters also being on the lookout for shoplifting too. I don't know if this is true, or my brother was kidding, but if it's true maybe greeters were brought back as an attempt to control shoplifting? Who knows?
That's what I thought. They aren't supposed to check anybody who 1) doesn't set off the security scanner or 2) has all their items in bags. The ONLY time they are supposed to check anything is when there are items not bagged...cases of soda and beer, cases of water or big bags of pet food...or if the scanner goes off. And that's NOT to check if they are shoplifting but to make sure the cashier caught it all. I know I've missed things before. Sometimes items, especially electronics, don't demagnetize completely at the register so it will set off the scanner. And yes, our losses went through the roof when they moved our greeters further into the store.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Sadly I don't doubt the veracity of this story one bit. I was a temporary wal-mart greeter over the holidays to earn some extra cash. Since I was in Minnesota, which is well known to be the most liberal of all american states, we greeters received a mandatory PC training in which we were instructed to say "Seasons Greetings." I screwed up once, on Christmas Eve and said "Merry Christmas." I was immediately taken off the job and my paycheck was withheld until I purchased a DVD of Season 4 of Modern Family and passed a multiple choice quiz to prove I had watched every episode.
Wow, that's brutal. Nothing like that has ever happened in my store. I heard everybody saying Merry Christmas...employees and customers. Nobody complained and nobody got called on it either.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:37 PM

35,665 posts, read 21,025,987 times
just some very mean shoppers-out there -who are very indignant arrogant and self serving ones- I had things thrown at me- yelled and cursed at and looked down as I am shorter from some tall guy acting like a 2 yr old child. I actually told one to leave the darn store-just GET OUT. they push carts at ya- just very very childish ignorant people. Glad not needing to part time any more-

Old 02-05-2015, 07:20 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
OK. I grew up in the "good old days" - or what lots of middle aged people are nostalgic for. I was born in the late 50s, and grew up in the 60s and 70s.

It was a great time to grow up.

However, I do not remember anyone at a secular store telling customers to have a " blessed day" nor do I remember all of the hyper religiosity and sanctimonious behavior that has emerged in the past 30 years.

We were working towards racial and religious tolerance.

Then came Reagan.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
More political correctness. I bet if a Muslim said it, none of the liberals would've complained.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
just some very mean shoppers-out there -who are very indignant arrogant and self serving ones- I had things thrown at me- yelled and cursed at and looked down as I am shorter from some tall guy acting like a 2 yr old child. I actually told one to leave the darn store-just GET OUT. they push carts at ya- just very very childish ignorant people. Glad not needing to part time any more-
I've never been treated that badly, thankfully. Most of my customers are really nice people. Because of that I can take the ones who aren't with a grain of salt and go on with business.

I did have one guy who left a bag of stuff and came back about an hour later to get it. He shook his finger in my face and told me it was all my fault! I told him that yes, it was my fault, since I didn't do the 'last turn' of the bag carousel. That wasn't good enough for him and he complained to one of the CSMs. They told me about it but that was all. It's not like that stuff doesn't happen all day long. Our left behind book is always full! Lucky for me it's rare for that to happen because I AM diligent about that 'last turn'. I just wish the customers would take a bit of personal responsibility as well. They always ask "Did I get everything?" and I want to say, "Did you check?". But no, I don't say that. I DO sometimes ask them is they 'got everything' just to turn the tables a little bit. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events