U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:50 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,204,809 times

Advertisements

Just one make news story to fill the gap until the next one. By the time this is all over he'll have more money than most of you. Every once in a while these stories get some traction because people need a distraction . It really isn't anything more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,743,255 times
AND everything you read on the internet is REAL...

This is probably just another PM story....

Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,218,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
PLPD (the absolute basic to drive)on a $500 car would not cost $2,200 every 6 months. Not buying that. Now if he has DUI's or something possibly, but not just because of his local. It would be higher but not that.
Just to chime in here. If you go with The General auto insurance, that figure is quite close. Just sayin

Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,852,555 times
Quote:
Can one actually survive on only 2 (which is what one news source stated) hours of sleep for 10 years ? doesn't seem possible.
You're missing the obvious. He's a sleepwalker!

Old 02-05-2015, 01:41 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times
With the money raised I bet he can buy a nice house near his job. From what they said his job is in the suburbs of Detroit, and he lives in Detroit proper. Makes sense to be closer to work and to live in a better area. This guys solid work ethic has paid off for him. I do hope he gets some good financial advise, I bet he has little experience with managing money like that. A place like Detroit is filled with crooked people who are likely waiting to prey upon him.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:05 AM

936 posts, read 1,057,320 times
Gotta get ready for work, no time for research now but I have many questions.

1. I assumed when you raised money for something all of the money had to go to that thing or else its called fraud. But reading some comments it sounds like only the original goal amount has to go to the recipient, the original fundraiser gets to keep the rest ?1?

2. That amount of walking is insane. 21 miles- I know people in insanse shape who need to train for months to run 13-26 miles. Now I understand he rides the bus or gets rides for part of the commute but still that is alot of walking especially in winter. And he hasn't missed a day of work- how does he not have frostbite on some parts of his body?

3. Part of me doesn't want to believe this story. On first read I think "wow good for you" but then it becomes sad. I understand buying a car on that salary is not doable. But walking that far for YEARS has got to be brutal so I have to believe he really had no other options. That's just sad that we have come to such a state that this is the only way someone can have a job?

The gentleman is impressive. The story is poorly done and incomplete. The situation is disheartening.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 AM

10,164 posts, read 6,276,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Just to chime in here. If you go with The General auto insurance, that figure is quite close. Just sayin
I just find that so hard to believe considering the amount of vehicles driving around in the D. Everyone but this guy must have a 6 figure job.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,218,600 times
Quote:
I just find that so hard to believe considering the amount of vehicles driving around in the D. Everyone but this guy must have a 6 figure job.
Ever since insurance companies began relying more on credit scores they've been given a free pass to charge whatever they feel like charging. If you refuse to give your credit score, they can ramp the price up "to mitigate risk".

Then there's the fact that insurance companies will charge you based on the region. Wawanesa in California was dirt cheap for me, when I moved to Washington State and saw the prices I was stunned, but that's because people don't know how to drive out here, thus the higher rates. Same thing with Nevada/Las Vegas.

Doesn't take a 6-figure anything to pay $4k/year. It's outrageous, but unfortunately legal and quite common.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,368,328 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNlMtqrYS0

Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,795,345 times
It's a perfect little touch that a friendly "banker" has been giving him lifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or