U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 PM

5,364 posts, read 6,037,516 times

Advertisements

Detroit's public transportation is trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 06:24 PM

3,687 posts, read 1,592,553 times
How come he walked so safely all these years?? But somehow I will be happy if someone raises funds for Detroit itself and bring it back on track.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:39 PM

8,208 posts, read 5,864,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Mr. Robinson received a car from the Suburban Ford dealership in Sterling Heights, Michigan. The dealership learned of this story and surprised him by giving him a 2015 Ford Taurus.

Detroit man with marathon walking commute surprised with new car

There's another good thing that's come out of this story. It's brought the Detroit's troubled transportation system to the spotlight. New discussion has been opened to see if this problem can be fixed. This will be of benefit to all the city's residents who have trouble getting around the area. Sometimes better things come from one person's dilemma.
Yeah, let's hope so.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:06 PM

79,184 posts, read 71,328,101 times
The insurance co. wanted to charge him $15,000/yr. for car insurance?? o.0

Old 02-07-2015, 12:44 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,001,891 times
I think we will find out this was a scam perpetrated by Mr. Banker in collusion with whatever Ford dealer just got huge exposure in coming weeks. Not in the sense that it was planned all along but in the sense that Mr. banker is using Mr. Robertson for exposure as are Ford and the Ford dealer. This is a cash cow for the media selling ad space and Ford just got the greatest free commercial/ad space ever. I do not think Mr. Robinson is guilt of anything nefarious but I do believe banker and dealer are going to gain a lot of revenue as a result of this story.

This is what I think. this is a dedicated hard working man, that is undisputed and confirmed. What I believe is that he likely has walked 21 miles a few times, but not every day. I had friend that had a DUI and he would brag that he walked 10 miles to work every day, that is true, but it was for one month not years, and many times he got a ride. Years later he would tell airman I used to walk 10 miles to work to show late airmen how dedicated he was and how he was a prime example that it is always possible to get to work on time. Nevermind the fact some really horrible decisions put him in that place he never should have been in. I don't doubt he walks part of the way, and I don't doubt that he walks more than most walking commuters but what I do doubt it veracity of the 21 miles claim. At first it was walks 21 miles every day for the last 10 years. Then it was takes the bus part way and walks 13 miles everyday. Now its takes bus and gets rides and walks 8 miles sometimes and 13 miles sometimes.

My problem is the media headlines are disingenuous at best. Man walks 21 miles to work grabs attention. Man walks a few miles sometimes and takes the bus and sometimes gets rides isn't grabbing headlines.

Right now the front headline on Yahoo! is 'Man with 21-mile walking commute gets new car.'

I wish the best for Mr. Robertson, but I fear that all this media attention has made him a bit too visible. His car is pretty rare and easily recognizable and his route is now well known, as is his employer. Everyone now knows about his wind fall, he lives in a very bad city for crime who knows what kind of neighborhood he is in. I just feel he is being used to make some unscrupulous people very rich with very little effort. Still $270k is a good haul and will change his life if he is frugal and smart with it.

I think Mr. Robertson is genuine and deserves this. This may be more about Detroit transit than anything. It could also be a bit of a "see white people do tons of great things for black people." Ferguson? Eric Garner? nooo no no. Think improving Detroit and James Robertson.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:53 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,610,070 times
Does he even have a valid driver's license?

Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 PM

79,184 posts, read 71,328,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Does he even have a valid driver's license?
He might. He might have kept renewing his license just to have ID. If not, he can now afford a few driving lessons, to take the exam.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:47 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,213,425 times
Well now, isn't great that he got a lot of cash because if the price of gas goes up, just how was he going to afford to put gas in the thing?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 13,764,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I think we will find out this was a scam perpetrated by Mr. Banker in collusion with whatever Ford dealer just got huge exposure in coming weeks. Not in the sense that it was planned all along but in the sense that Mr. banker is using Mr. Robertson for exposure as are Ford and the Ford dealer. This is a cash cow for the media selling ad space and Ford just got the greatest free commercial/ad space ever. I do not think Mr. Robinson is guilt of anything nefarious but I do believe banker and dealer are going to gain a lot of revenue as a result of this story.

This is what I think. this is a dedicated hard working man, that is undisputed and confirmed. What I believe is that he likely has walked 21 miles a few times, but not every day. I had friend that had a DUI and he would brag that he walked 10 miles to work every day, that is true, but it was for one month not years, and many times he got a ride. Years later he would tell airman I used to walk 10 miles to work to show late airmen how dedicated he was and how he was a prime example that it is always possible to get to work on time. Nevermind the fact some really horrible decisions put him in that place he never should have been in. I don't doubt he walks part of the way, and I don't doubt that he walks more than most walking commuters but what I do doubt it veracity of the 21 miles claim. At first it was walks 21 miles every day for the last 10 years. Then it was takes the bus part way and walks 13 miles everyday. Now its takes bus and gets rides and walks 8 miles sometimes and 13 miles sometimes.

My problem is the media headlines are disingenuous at best. Man walks 21 miles to work grabs attention. Man walks a few miles sometimes and takes the bus and sometimes gets rides isn't grabbing headlines.

Right now the front headline on Yahoo! is 'Man with 21-mile walking commute gets new car.'

I wish the best for Mr. Robertson, but I fear that all this media attention has made him a bit too visible. His car is pretty rare and easily recognizable and his route is now well known, as is his employer. Everyone now knows about his wind fall, he lives in a very bad city for crime who knows what kind of neighborhood he is in. I just feel he is being used to make some unscrupulous people very rich with very little effort. Still $270k is a good haul and will change his life if he is frugal and smart with it.

I think Mr. Robertson is genuine and deserves this. This may be more about Detroit transit than anything. It could also be a bit of a "see white people do tons of great things for black people." Ferguson? Eric Garner? nooo no no. Think improving Detroit and James Robertson.

It wasn't the banker who set the fundraising up and I don't think he'd risk his career(the banker) over so little money

Old 02-08-2015, 09:30 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,097,886 times
Something tells me that in the long run this will not work out so well for him.

I expect a gofundme to pay for his pending IRS problems in a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or