U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:13 PM

17,645 posts, read 12,259,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I read the article on CNN and it says that he does take the bus part of the commute. It also has an interview with the plant manager where he works. As for the distance he walks, it is possible he enjoys the walk and that it is therapeutic.

Donations pour in for Detroit man who walks 21 miles for his daily commute - CNN.com

He is reported to sleep 2 hours a day, I guess that's cool if you relax on your 21 mile walk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,041,641 times
More than 5 years of walking to work and he COULDN'T save up a few hundreds to buy himself another car or get his previous car fixed. Tsk Tsk.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:59 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,781,180 times
I'm reading the comments section on this story and it's striking how many wet blankets are out there. Really miserable people who hate the fact that so many people wanted to help by sending this guy money, and even worse are the whiners who are literally asking for a hand-out or posting their own GoFundMe links to the story to because they too are 'suffering' in some way.

They don't get it. People responded to Mr. Robertson's situation because he is humble, a hard-worker, and he never asked for anything – the exact opposite of these other people with a sense of entitlement – "I had cancer, where's MY money?" "He's not the only one who walks to work everyday, I need a car too!" Seriously?

It's all in the attitude. Mr. Robertson has the right attitude. The whiners don't.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,415,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
More than 5 years of walking to work and he COULDN'T save up a few hundreds to buy himself another car or get his previous car fixed. Tsk Tsk.
It isn't just the repairs. It is the additional costs of insurance, gas, further maintenance, etc. This all adds up and when you are making 10 bucks an hour, every dollar counts.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:07 PM

9,125 posts, read 5,681,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'm reading the comments section on this story and it's striking how many wet blankets are out there. Really miserable people who hate the fact that so many people wanted to help by sending this guy money, and even worse are the whiners who are literally asking for a hand-out or posting their own GoFundMe links to the story to because they too are 'suffering' in some way.

They don't get it. People responded to Mr. Robertson's situation because he is humble, a hard-worker, and he never asked for anything – the exact opposite of these other people with a sense of entitlement – "I had cancer, where's MY money?" "He's not the only one who walks to work everyday, I need a car too!" Seriously?

It's all in the attitude. Mr. Robertson has the right attitude. The whiners don't.
I do have to agree with you on this. Personally I don't care how much money he ends up with, a co-worker here just mentioned that it is over $200k now. Good for him. I just still am a little skeptical on the facts of the story as a whole.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 PM

1,938 posts, read 1,165,356 times
It did say in the article that insurance, because he lives in Detroit with high crime? would cost about $2,200 every 6 months. Some guy making low wages can't afford $4k per year taken out to own a car, let alone gas and maintenance.

I have to go hmmm... at the 2 hours of sleep per night, but there are tons of people in this country who cant afford a car even if they do work. I hope with the money they do give him financial advice and set up funds for certain things like the banker in the article said.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:27 PM

9,202 posts, read 10,164,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
don't focus on that, logic sucks and just brings things down. Focus on his solid work ethic , it really is inspirational !
What makes you think he works? If he really does work why can't he afford a car? If he really does work and and can't drive why doesn't he arrange something with a fellow worker?

His employer is never mentioned. I wonder why.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
It did say in the article that insurance, because he lives in Detroit with high crime? would cost about $2,200 every 6 months. Some guy making low wages can't afford $4k per year taken out to own a car, let alone gas and maintenance.

I have to go hmmm... at the 2 hours of sleep per night, but there are tons of people in this country who cant afford a car even if they do work. I hope with the money they do give him financial advice and set up funds for certain things like the banker in the article said.
PLPD (the absolute basic to drive)on a $500 car would not cost $2,200 every 6 months. Not buying that. Now if he has DUI's or something possibly, but not just because of his local. It would be higher but not that.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What makes you think he works? If he really does work why can't he afford a car? If he really does work and and can't drive why doesn't he arrange something with a fellow worker?

His employer is never mentioned. I wonder why.
My post was being sarcastic.

Just to answer your questions though :

He has been employed by the same place for 12 years, the name of the company and his supervisor is stated in the article.

None of his fellow employees work anywhere near him, also stated in the article.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:37 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,894,083 times
Maybe he likes the exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or