U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,767,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I read this and felt like a bum. And apparently he hadn't missed a day in 10 years or something crazy like that.
They guy is clearly mentally ill. This went on for 10 years. It's either b.s. or he has mental problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 05:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,767,915 times
I have a hard time believing he couldn't find another job in 10 years or relocate out of that hellhole in detroit. Especially since he has a full time job with no car payment! If this insanity went on for a month or two that's one thing, but 10 years....get real.

This to me sounds like right wing propaganda pointing to this guy.....and saying "see you lazy bums...look what he does!"

Clear as day that's what it is.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 PM

18,859 posts, read 13,616,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Ummm, jobs are not that easy to come by up in Detroit. Plus with 12 years on the job he may be working towards some type of retirement benefit or something.
Min wage jobs are not that hard to come by and if they are in Detroit then move. This is an absurd story that for 12+ years shouldn't garner this attention

Old 02-03-2015, 07:02 PM

118 posts, read 131,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
They guy is clearly mentally ill. This went on for 10 years. It's either b.s. or he has mental problems.

I am wondering about the BS part. Too many of these viral news stories especially the ones that end up with HUGE free money giveaways turn out to be phonies.

PS- anyone else tired of the public begging (I know this guy didn't start a gofundme for himself- I'm just talking here)?? I am REAL sick of it. Look at that liar waitress who made up a story (more than one waitress- there was the lesbian and then the black woman who claimed someone wrote "ni***r" on receipt) that both made thousands in free monies online set up by donations.

Want to donate money? Great!! just don't give FREE MONEY to TOTAL STRANGERS you know NOTHING about. Give to organizations or ???

Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 PM

505 posts, read 527,933 times
I'm from Michigan and I think the guy's story is true. He lives in Detroit where the public bus system is terrible (sometimes they are 3 hours late!) and is going way, way out to a northern suburb. In his interview he said that he does get rides occasionally. I think the guy is sincere actually.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:09 PM

505 posts, read 527,933 times
Also, the 21 miles is round trip. Housing in Detroit is cheap but taxes are insanely high. Insurance for cars or houses is insanely high. Housing prices out side of Detroit (and in the suburb he works in) are very high; doubt that he could afford an apartment there.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:41 PM

11,192 posts, read 10,213,122 times
As of tonight, there has been a little over $257,000.00 raised to get Mr. Robinson a car. After this, I think he'll be able to buy a couple of cars and maybe even a house.

This story is inspiring. This man deserves all the goodness he receives after his dedication to working so hard without asking for help.

Help James Robertson Get a Car by Evan Leedy - GoFundMe

Old 02-03-2015, 07:58 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,547,708 times
This is just so awesome and inspiring. I was going to donate yesterday, but as it was approaching $75k, I figured that more than enough had been raised and my measely $5 wasn't going to help much.

Then, Dang, they are at $200k now! I'm so happy for Mr. Robertson and I'm sure he's going to be helped by people administering the money to better help him find a car, pay for the outrageous insurance rates in detroit, gas, and maintenance (and other personal stuff).

My hat is off to all the beautiful people who donated.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,591,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
As of tonight, there has been a little over $257,000.00 raised to get Mr. Robinson a car. After this, I think he'll be able to buy a couple of cars and maybe even a house.

This story is inspiring. This man deserves all the goodness he receives after his dedication to working so hard without asking for help.

Help James Robertson Get a Car by Evan Leedy - GoFundMe
As you typed that someone is probably already plotting to part him from this money.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 PM

10,164 posts, read 6,276,711 times
Now I do understand $10.55 an hour is not much of a wage, that is still $21k a year. I'm assuming his girlfriend works. They live in a house she inherited. Sure they have to pay taxes and utilities which should not be a problem. So food is pretty much the only other expense ...which brings it back around to 10 years of this and he couldn't change his situation?? Come on now really? Two hours of sleep a night ...again really? I don't think we are getting the whole story. Glad it is inspirational and touches the hearts of some ...and kudos to him on his cash bonus. Hopefully he does something smart with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or