U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 10:56 PM

15,339 posts, read 15,328,850 times

Advertisements

If you look around, well, logically you could and probably should assume that the abuse of FOOD is the most destructive substance that a LOT of people abuse. Ciggies, wow, I cannot believe people still smoke them thingies..........and throw the dang butts anywhere and everywhere!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,292,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The article's reasoning is like saying that since more people die in car crashes than from jumping off of tall buildings, driving is more deadly than jumping off tall buildings. A lot more people smoke cigarettes than take heroin.
Agreed. Kind of conning yourself to believe ;my bad is as bad; so it must be OK.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:24 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,171,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
However, I would still say that typical cigarette use is more deadly than typical cocaine use.
In my youth I knew people that used cocaine on a recreational basis. This was typically a "once in a while thing" where they would buy a small amount to use on a Friday or Saturday night among friends. As such, it would be comparable to someone who smokes the occasional cigar on the weekend, or occasionally buys a pack of cigarettes when at the bar once in a while. None of these behaviours are likely to have any adverse effects on someone's health over the short nor the long term. Even chronic use of tobacco can be managed in society without any kind of adverse effect on your professional or social life.

However, if someone starts using cocaine at the same rate that a habitual smoker uses tobacco, I'd wager the cokehead has a far more likely chance of dying directly or indirectly as a course of his habit. Habitual tobacco use will lead to emphysema and/or cancer over the long term. Habitual cocaine use lends itself to crippling addiction, possible overdose, hepatitis/AIDS infection from dirty needles or prostitution, and possibly taking a bullet if you start trafficking in an effort to feed your habit. Cocaine not only carries with it the inherent heath risks, but an all-consuming addiction is inevitably going to create serious consequences in both your professional and social lives.

I have seen more than one snowblower completely ruin his or her life by letting "the occasional gram" get the best of them. I have yet to see a single person experience the same effect from tobacco.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,925,877 times
Yah, the problem with tobacco is the usage pattern. A drug you use every day without fail, 10 to 20 or even 40 times per day?!? Just weird.

Being honest with myself, I probably average about one cigarette every three weeks. Less than a pack a year. I enjoy it those rare times I have one. No tolerance, no nic fits.

Probably hit the hookah lounge every 5-6 months too.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:15 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,577,758 times
Well, let's make them legal and give it about 40 years, those numbers will change. A lot more people will use the last 3 if they are free to do so. It's all a problem really, including almost every other thing we do. I still think it should all be legal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or