U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,141,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
When Russia, Japan, China, Israel and everyone decides to declare war on ISIS, only then would I want to see the USA join the fight. It will take a combined world effort to stop them.
Yes, I agree with this. It will also take resolve from the middle eastern countries that surround ISIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:08 AM

1,046 posts, read 718,578 times
Turkey, loser country that we help, needs to get off their a**es and stop the trash coming back and forth across their border.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM

6,949 posts, read 2,609,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
...you understand that Muslims make up roughly 25% of the world's population, correct? You think you're inherently better than over 1.5 BILLION people - spread out across just about every country on this planet - because you don't practice their religion?
I do.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 AM

1,972 posts, read 2,546,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Turkey, loser country that we help, needs to get off their a**es and stop the trash coming back and forth across their border.
Turkey should never be allowed into the European Union. They support ISIS because they are killing the Kurds. The Kurds are brave enough to fight ISIS, not run away with their tails tucked between their legs. If anything, the US needs to offer more support to the Kurds by giving them proper supplies and weaponry.

Last edited by escapenc; 02-05-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 AM

18,638 posts, read 13,791,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I think you need to learn at least something about the countries surrounding the portions of Syria and Iraq that are controlled by ISIS. There is no way they could do what you're proposing. Let's go through them:

Syria - Ummm....yeah. Assad is already fighting them as best he can.
Iraq - We basically got nothing out of the Iraqi military after spending a trillion dollars and close to a decade training them. ISIS routed them in a matter of weeks and took their weapons, supplies, and money (all supplied by us).
Jordan - Jordan is a tiny country that is currently overwhelmed by Syrian refugees. Even in the best of times they don't have the capabilities to take out ISIS, and this is far from the best of times for them. They are doing quite a bit though.
Turkey - Turkey could, and should, be doing more. The current Turkish government is sort of Islamist lite, and probably has some elements that support ISIS. They also don't mind seeing Assad taken down, as well as Kurdish groups in the region suffering losses against ISIS.

So that's pretty much all of "the countries surrounding them". Other countries in the region are doing a fair amount to fight ISIS - Iran and Kurdish groups in Iraq in particular. In terms of what we should do, I think we should support and train Kurdish forces, do the same for moderate elements of the Syrian rebels, offer aid and support to Jordan, step away from Turkey, and support any attempts to take down ISIS through air and intelligence support. We shouldn't have troops on the ground.
Good Synopsis all the way around.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 PM

18,638 posts, read 13,791,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Turkey should never be allowed into the European Union. They support ISIS because they are killing the Kurds. The Kurds are brave enough to fight ISIS, not run away with their tails tucked between their legs. If anything, the US needs to offer more support to the Kurds by giving them proper supplies and weaponry.
I'm sure Turkey has had some real problems with the Kurds and that it's not all Turkey's fault. Anyway, as Turkey becomes More religous their problems will only increase.

We sould also support Iraqi Christian,Yazidi, and Shabak paramilitary groups, as they are the ones who were Killed, raped and enslaved by ISIS.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/pers...inst-ISIS.html

Last edited by LS Jaun; 02-05-2015 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 01:27 PM

11,856 posts, read 7,791,075 times
ISIS - Same rinse/repeat movement as any conquering group from the beginning of civilization there. We are only looking back in time.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:23 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,810,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Because the countries there have LOTS of secret sympathizers for violent jihad, it's sort of a sport over their like football is for us, and they have significant influence on the govts. Plus they keep holding back hoping that the US will intervene and foot the bill.
What is the difference between them and the American Revolution? The Civil War? Right or wrong (and believe me, I think ISIS are completely in the wrong) the bottom line is that they have convictions in what they are doing and how, in their minds, that makes them right. No amount of Western intervention will change that. As Americans it is easy for us to point the finger and shout "bad guy", but they do the same towards us. In fact, they cite Western intervention and influence as the reason for their fight. It could be BS, sure, some people just like to FSU. Just like we want the terrorism to stop, they want the Western world to leave them alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
They want the west to take care of their problems and clean up their messes, so they can absolve themselves of any responsibility of killing other Muslims. Their problems go away, and the infidels are blamed for the carnage. A win-win in their view. The problem is, we keep falling for it.
Muslims come in all different flavors, some get along, and others do not. You also got to keep in mind Nationality, too. Think of it this way, all Christians might be Christians, but not all Christians get along. Look at Northern U.K. Or the U.S. Sure, things in the U.S. are no where near as extreme but let's face it, some Christian groups are considered more "wrong" than others. The irony is that Allah and God are the same person, Muslims believe in some of the same historical figures as Christians, and a few others.

The problem with ISIS is that while the group may be a singular organization, its membership is from all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

there will be an interruption in the petroleum production for a couple of decades but that is not all that big a problem. Other non-Arab sources of oil have been found and developed so the Western economies will not be out of oil. They will just have to pay more. The oil in Arabia and the middle east will not be available but will still be there stored safely underground. After this and the next generations of fanatic
You do realize that the U.S. only imports roughly 40% of its oil? And that the majority of imported oil comes from Canada? Next in line are Nigeria, Angola, Venezuela, and Mexico. The U.S. gets very little of its oil from the Middle East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why are people still talking about ISIS?
I know, I thought they changed their name to ISIL. No, wait, they are back to ISIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One reason why religious fanatics are extremely dangerous to the future of the human race is that they expect their rewards in Heaven and aren't motivated to preserve life on Earth. Therefore they're much more likely than other groups to use weapons of mass destruction to destroy the entire human race.
Westboro Baptist Church? Extreme Fundamental Christians who kill "abortion doctors"? Christian Identity?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:06 PM

8,188 posts, read 21,810,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Yes, I agree with this. It will also take resolve from the middle eastern countries that surround ISIL.
The problem is that Iran and Iraq do not like each other, so I doubt there will be an alliance. Besides, both Iraq and Iran are majority Shia (ISIS is 100% Shia, at least in belief). Syria is, perhaps ironically, the second most Liberal Arabian country (Jordan being the first) and may be the only ones to step in alongside Jordan (who seem to be only country with cajones right now). Saudi Arabia? Right....even though Saudi Arabia has officially designated ISIS a terrorist group they are most likely to be funding ISIS. Turkey has a sizable Christian population (and is also another country in the region to formally recognize ISIS as a terrorist group) meaning that if Turkey gets involved it could turn into another Bosnia/Kosovo/Croatia war.

I am sure Israel would love to get involved. Only problem is that Israel and Jordan have a history of not really getting along. Besides, I bet that Iran is just itching for Israel to get involved. Iraq is currently too screwed up to really do anything itself and keep in mind that ISIS stands for Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (Technically, it is the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham. ISIL is the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant). They have been around since 2008 in the least, and have their seeds as far back as 2003, are close to Al-Queda, and as far as I know Sunnis are completely against ISIS (something like 90% of Muslims worldwide are Sunnis, yet, Shia Muslims are dominant in Iraq and Iran).

The issue that most are not seeming to grasp is that Shias have a tendency to believe that the only way to create a pure Islamic Nation is to die in battle. I am sure Russia would like to see that happen, too, as they probably dislike Muslims more and I am sure they would love their oil, too.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:44 PM

12,844 posts, read 12,205,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The problem is that Iran and Iraq do not like each other, so I doubt there will be an alliance. Besides, both Iraq and Iran are majority Shia (ISIS is 100% Shia, at least in belief). Syria is, perhaps ironically, the second most Liberal Arabian country (Jordan being the first) and may be the only ones to step in alongside Jordan (who seem to be only country with cajones right now). Saudi Arabia? Right....even though Saudi Arabia has officially designated ISIS a terrorist group they are most likely to be funding ISIS. Turkey has a sizable Christian population (and is also another country in the region to formally recognize ISIS as a terrorist group) meaning that if Turkey gets involved it could turn into another Bosnia/Kosovo/Croatia war.

I am sure Israel would love to get involved. Only problem is that Israel and Jordan have a history of not really getting along. Besides, I bet that Iran is just itching for Israel to get involved. Iraq is currently too screwed up to really do anything itself and keep in mind that ISIS stands for Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (Technically, it is the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham. ISIL is the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant). They have been around since 2008 in the least, and have their seeds as far back as 2003, are close to Al-Queda, and as far as I know Sunnis are completely against ISIS (something like 90% of Muslims worldwide are Sunnis, yet, Shia Muslims are dominant in Iraq and Iran).

The issue that most are not seeming to grasp is that Shias have a tendency to believe that the only way to create a pure Islamic Nation is to die in battle. I am sure Russia would like to see that happen, too, as they probably dislike Muslims more and I am sure they would love their oil, too.
The ISIS are not Shia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or