Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 02:42 PM

723 posts, read 868,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I think you need to learn at least something about the countries surrounding the portions of Syria and Iraq that are controlled by ISIS. There is no way they could do what you're proposing. Let's go through them:

Syria - Ummm....yeah. Assad is already fighting them as best he can.
Iraq - We basically got nothing out of the Iraqi military after spending a trillion dollars and close to a decade training them. ISIS routed them in a matter of weeks and took their weapons, supplies, and money (all supplied by us).
Jordan - Jordan is a tiny country that is currently overwhelmed by Syrian refugees. Even in the best of times they don't have the capabilities to take out ISIS, and this is far from the best of times for them. They are doing quite a bit though.
Turkey - Turkey could, and should, be doing more. The current Turkish government is sort of Islamist lite, and probably has some elements that support ISIS. They also don't mind seeing Assad taken down, as well as Kurdish groups in the region suffering losses against ISIS.

So that's pretty much all of "the countries surrounding them". Other countries in the region are doing a fair amount to fight ISIS - Iran and Kurdish groups in Iraq in particular. In terms of what we should do, I think we should support and train Kurdish forces, do the same for moderate elements of the Syrian rebels, offer aid and support to Jordan, step away from Turkey, and support any attempts to take down ISIS through air and intelligence support. We shouldn't have troops on the ground.
Iraq and Syria aren't the countries surrounding Iraq and Syria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
To the armchair generals posting on here saying that "WE need to do something", I'm happy to inform you that you are more than free to grab a rifle and head on over. No one is stopping you. No one.

In addition to grabbing a rifle you are also free to open up your own wallet and use your own family's bank account to fund your little adventure. Please don't ask me to pay for your shenanigans & tomfoolery.

And who is this "we" you speak of? Ohhhhhh, what you actually meant to say was "I want someone else to do something" I had my two deployments. When are you going to take your turn? Oh you'll provide moral support? Gee, thanks.

When is John McCain going to see combat (aside from crashing a half dozen jets)? He and his ilk seem fairly adamant about war, war, and more war. But I don't see him or his buddies doing anything productive (aside from posing for a photo op with the predecessors of ISIS, but that's another issue) and I certainly don't see our Congress Clowns sending any of their sons to the party.

Why should a kid from Nebraska or Vermont or Oregon be sent to die or be maimed for life because Israel and America's Neocons/AIPAC want to destabilize the middle east? Sorry, but that region is none of MY business, not any longer, and in no way shape or form should it be "OUR" business either.

But if YOU want to fight, go ahead Mr. and Mrs. Armchair Generals, a rifle and parachute await thee (if your McTushies can even fit in the rig...)
ISIS is a military psy op.

By focusing on their brutality, they move public opinion towards supporting direct US military involvement in the war against Syria and Assad. The kidnappings and killings videos have done what the chemical weapons attacks could not.

Many of the news stories, videos, and photographs of ISIS atrocities are fakes. There is one government-funded 'think tank' called the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights that's constantly putting out news releases of atrocities that didnt' occur, such as the mass child beheadings, sex slave auctions, Mt. Sinjar massacre, or other battles. They often use videos and photos from old battles or unreleated events and misrepresent them as evidence of new atrocities.

The other intent of all this disinformation is to effect ethnic cleansing on the ground by scaring the civilian populations in Syria to flee without mass casualties taking place. The city Kobani was mostly empty of civilians when the battle against ISIS take place.

The overall strategy is to capture territory and to destroy Syrian infrastructure through aerial bombing for a potential conventional war against Assad.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:25 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
If something is to be done about ISIS it will have to be a joint coalition. Luckily ISIS is pissing off pretty much every developed nation so this coalition will be easy to form (Jordan with their burned alive pilot saying the only problem they'll have now is running out of oil and bullets to kill ISIS with, Japan with their beheaded guy who are now royally PO'ed, etc)

It will come to a head likely when ISIS successfully attacks someone, whether it's the US, Canada, Germany, Japan... A major attack that kills a lot of people will trigger a world wide stomp down on them.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:43 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Pedantic maybe ... but I refuse to call them 'ISIS/IS'. The term gives too much credibility to a bunch of superstitionist throwbacks. I urge everyone to consider doing the same - for me it's so-called IS/ISIS or Daesh (which apparently they hate).

Old 02-08-2015, 11:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,194 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PDw55N3KI

Watch this. You have to understand Islam, it's completely different from all other religions on earth. It's literally a religion of conquest and violence, including violence against members of Islam who don't practice the religion properly. It's a zero sum game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events