U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 PM

32 posts, read 77,301 times

Advertisements

Bless the taxi people who got struck, had the heart attack and recovered. Feels bad about the dead passengers and I hope Taiwan gets its aerospace issues figured out now than later. Same airline to have two failures in a year is either really bad luck or they're not doing some safety/precautionary measure correctly.

One thing that irks me regarding the comments that follow this situation is how some people seem to lump all the Asian airlines together as if they were one corporation, "I will never fly on an Asian airliner for the rest of my life, etc."
They aren't the same thing, please learn this. While it is not incorrect to call them Asian, it's also too broad. Indonesia is not =/= Malaysia =/= China =/= Taiwan =/= Korea =/= Japan =/= Vietnam and whatever else out there.

This analogy is akin to saying you'd never fly on an American airliner ever again, even if that includes Canadian and South American airplanes. It bugs me because it feels like the rest of the groups of Asians have to suffer for things that are not even in their control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:58 AM

10,053 posts, read 7,017,561 times
At least these TransAsia crashes (July 2014 crash and this one) happened on or near land, and that they give us a good number of survivors.

TransAsia planes seem rather safe during crash landing. Lots of planes (under more 'trusted' airlines) crash on land and rarely leave us any survivors. I find it miraculous that the last two Taiwanese crashes managed dozens of survivors.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:50 AM

30,374 posts, read 31,242,624 times
BBC News - TransAsia GE235: Taiwan crash plane 'lost engine power'

Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 AM

Flash - Taiwan 'hero' pilot found clutching joystick of c rashed plane - France 24

Old 02-06-2015, 10:39 AM

7,630 posts, read 5,123,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
At least these TransAsia crashes (July 2014 crash and this one) happened on or near land, and that they give us a good number of survivors.

TransAsia planes seem rather safe during crash landing. Lots of planes (under more 'trusted' airlines) crash on land and rarely leave us any survivors. I find it miraculous that the last two Taiwanese crashes managed dozens of survivors.
That's not a valid assumption. It totally depends on the circumstances of each individual event. This latest one involving the ATR plane that struck the bridge & went into the river, would have been much worse were it not for the skill of the pilot in avoiding the buildings. Had he not been able to do that, everyone on board, and many on the ground would have been killed. Also, if they had lost the engine at a higher altitude, the crash would probably have been less survivable. Again... circumstances. Had nothing to do with the type of plane the airline flies.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:47 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,657,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's debatable whether Taiwan ever made it out of 3rd world status. Could be a good thread topic.
How would that be a good thread topic?

I'd rather live in Taiwan than most parts of the United States. It's a stunningly beautiful place (the Portuguese named the place Ilha Formosa "beautiful island" for a reason.) They enjoy a more lively democracy than America does and most of their residents enjoy a better standard of living.

Taiwan is one of the best places I've visited. I'd go back in a split second.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:27 AM

6,551 posts, read 4,693,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

I'd rather live in Taiwan than most parts of the United States. It's a stunningly beautiful place (the Portuguese named the place Ilha Formosa "beautiful island" for a reason.) They enjoy a more lively democracy than America does and most of their residents enjoy a better standard of living.

I'm glad you like it here but we have LOTS of **** flowing around as well.
I don't think we're third world, though.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:56 AM

653 posts, read 503,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Me too, I would rather live in Taiwan than most other countries, even over the United States, China, Canada or Australia. I think most Taiwanese do enjoy a better standard of living than Americans and there is a still much stronger sense of civic consciousness among Taiwanese than most other countries.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:44 AM

6,551 posts, read 4,693,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Me too, I would rather live in Taiwan than most other countries, even over the United States, China, Canada or Australia. I think most Taiwanese do enjoy a better standard of living than Americans and there is a still much stronger sense of civic consciousness among Taiwanese than most other countries.
Really?
I can't really comment on the standard of living thing, there are many things that suck here but there are also really good things, so I guess it's subjective. We(myself included) often overlook the good parts and only see the bad parts, so many would find Taiwanese bizarrely self-loathing.

But civic consciousness? I do sense that we are more civic conscious than say, Japan(which happens to be a pretty indifferent country), from time to time, but I find it surprising that a foreigner would say our civic consciousness stands out compares to others.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:22 AM

TransAsia Plane Grounding Extended as Pilot Testing Continues After Taiwan Crash - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or