Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 PM

983 posts, read 995,187 times

Advertisements

U.S. Senator: Allow restaurant employees to skip hand-washing | National & World News | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Has anyone seen this yet? OMG, I don't know what to say.

Wait, I got an idea. All employees of the US Senate dining room, don't wash your hands. Too much governemnt regulations, away with them all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
U.S. Senator: Allow restaurant employees to skip hand-washing | National & World News | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Has anyone seen this yet? OMG, I don't know what to say.

Wait, I got an idea. All employees of the US Senate dining room, don't wash your hands. Too much governemnt regulations, away with them all!
Actually, if you think about it, posting a sign that 'we don't follow the hand-washing rule' would be better. At least you would know up front that they aren't doing it. The way it is now (with the rule requiring it in place) you have no way to know if the business is actually following the rule or not. And I suspect many aren't.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 PM

26 posts, read 33,776 times
I gave up many years ago trying to delude myself into thinking all food employees are decent people who actually care about personal hygiene and sterile food preparation.

Reality says they usually never wash hands after taking a dump or draining the bladder, and all those bodily secretions end up in our food. It's all organic substances anyway, so no biggie. I do worry about STD's and other nasty bacteria getting in my grub. Who wants to eat a burger infested with herpes?

I heard most food manufacturers readily admit that their products contain rat meat, spiders, cockroaches, snakes, etc? It's impossible to keep those critters out of most food processing facilities.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:57 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Actually, if you think about it, posting a sign that 'we don't follow the hand-washing rule' would be better. At least you would know up front that they aren't doing it. The way it is now (with the rule requiring it in place) you have no way to know if the business is actually following the rule or not. And I suspect many aren't.
There's a problem with his logic though. He's arguing that there should be less regulation of businesses, but his example would just be exchanging one regulation for another. After all, there would have to be some sort of requirement for businesses to post a sign that they don't require washing their hands. What business would do it voluntarily?

The man is an embarrassment to NC.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
What makes anyone think those employees are washing their hands after going to the restroom. How many people have you seen walk out of a stall and head right to the door? Why would food workers be any different. If you think they all do it then your living in a fantasy land. That is why so many people get food poisoning, from e-coli contaminated workers preparing your food. Dirty hands may have fecal matter on them, if they touch food then so does your food. Ingested fecal matter could get you a few days on the commode. Employees also cut their hands, or have sores on them exposing you to blood born disease. I once saw a fast food worker tell her boss that she could work today because the puss was "yellow instead of green". The manager said ok and she went back to making food. She said this in front of a line of customers. I walked out and have never been back to that place. There is nothing clean or sanitary about restaurants or even grocery stores. The only food you know is safe is the deer you shot in the woods, or the veggies you grew yourself. Any food you get from the store or a restaurant is only clean if nasty people have not come into contact with it. Bon appetite!

Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
America sure has a low bar for its politicians.
There may be some point to be made about government regulations but washing your hands after using the bathroom is quite possibly the stupidest example to use.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:20 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
From the article:
Quote:
Tillis raised the issue when speaking Monday to the Bipartisan Policy Center in Washington. Restaurant chains such as Starbucks should be able to skip obligatory hand-washing by workers, he said, "as long as they post a sign" and take other steps to alert the public.

"Let them decide" such issues, Tillis said, adding: "That's probably one where every business that did that would go out of business. But I think it's good to illustrate the point, that that's the sort of mentality we need to have to reduce the regulatory burden on this country."
I didn't realize requiring employees to wash their hands was a 'regulatory burden'. How crippling that must be to restaurant business models...

Do these people want any kind of rules at all? Oh, yeah... rules that allow gay people to do much of anything - like exist - are needed, otherwise civilization will collapse, right? But basic hygiene in the food services industry? That should be optional?

And to top it all off, the blithering idiot thinks that replacing one requirement (basic hygiene) with another requirement (posting signs to the effect that we don't bother with basic hygiene) is a reduction in regulations.

Who voted for this clown?

Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Add not having you kids vaccinated for the formerly common childhood diseases to the list of American Stupidities. I heard they no longer require pigs to be checked for Trichinosis before being processed. That was an undue burden on the Pork industry.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
There's a problem with his logic though. He's arguing that there should be less regulation of businesses, but his example would just be exchanging one regulation for another. After all, there would have to be some sort of requirement for businesses to post a sign that they don't require washing their hands. What business would do it voluntarily?

The man is an embarrassment to NC.
Good point. I see a new Congressional mindset in the making- 'regulating our regulations'. A never ending cycle that could continue on forever, giving our elected officials an even better excuse for their existence.
On second thought, maybe this isn't so 'new' after all.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:19 PM

240 posts, read 252,371 times
I wonder how many commentators actually read that article and gave it two-seconds of thought before spitting out their opinion? LMAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events