Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times

Advertisements

I don't know how everybody else feels about this, but from what I've noticed I'd say criminals are becoming younger and more brutal! And what rational killer would take a selfie with the body and incriminate himself?

Jeannette teen, charged with killing another, took 'selfie' with body | TribLIVE Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I think a lot of it has to do with upbringing. Too many parents want to be their childrens best friends instead of parent and there are the ones in which the father is out of their lives for whatever reason. It is a shame.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM

155 posts, read 445,423 times
Quite the opposite:

Juvenile Arrest Rate Trends

http://www.eji.org/node/825

http://johnjayresearch.org/rec/files...abit201304.pdf

Carry on with hysterical, misinformed premise that the youth of today are all out-of-control violent felons.

But note that the juvenile homicide arrest rate is 43% lower than it was in 1960, the supposed halcyon days of Ward and June-style child-rearing.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:05 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
Quite the opposite:

But carry on with hysterical, misinformed premise.
It's the 24-hour news-cycle, combined with a general nostalgia for the 'good old days', and the fact that recording devices are now ubiquitous and bound to preserve scenes that in the past would only have been described by printed words. Many people are informed by their vague impressions rather than objective facts.

Ironically, the fewer per capita crimes of today are more visible than the more numerous per capita crimes of preceding decades.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:05 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,215 times
wow, that is one stupid teen.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
Quite the opposite:

Juvenile Crime Rate Continues to Drop | Equal Justice Initiative

http://johnjayresearch.org/rec/files...abit201304.pdf

Carry on with hysterical, misinformed premise that the youth of today are all out-of-control violent felons.

But note that the juvenile homicide arrest rate is 43% lower than it was in 1960, the supposed halcyon days of Ward and June-style child-rearing.
I don't think I came across as "hysterical". I was simply posting what my perception has been from the news stories of late as opposed to, say, 20 years ago. No need to freak out. I was simply asking opinions.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:35 PM

155 posts, read 445,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I don't think I came across as "hysterical". I was simply posting what my perception has been from the news stories of late as opposed to, say, 20 years ago. No need to freak out. I was simply asking opinions.
Didn't mean to come across as attacking you, I just get annoyed with "kids these days" attitudes, not just online but in real life as well and I knew your post would inspire just such a stream of responses about the need for responsible parenting and whatnot. It's just not the case that kids are getting more violent or "worse" in any way. The sensational crimes are just more visible but statistics are as boring as they were 45 years ago. Based solely on hard fact kids and people in general are far "better" than they were in the 1960s in almost every measurable category.

Last edited by SonicYouth; 02-08-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 05:21 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
A general and unrestrained rise of narcissism in society. With an end result of people having little or no empathy for others.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
No doubt coddled by everyone around him. Special snowflake.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
We have a lot more access to news today than we did in previous generations - both good and bad. It skews perception because horrible news gets attention for days and weeks on end, while happy events are rarely newsworthy.

Quote:
I think a lot of it has to do with upbringing. Too many parents want to
be their childrens best friends instead of parent
I wondered how long it would take for this to roll around. It seems to whenever something awful happens. My thought is it's a lazy argument - easy to throw out there before knowing the whole story or the actual facts at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events