U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 05:50 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,427,163 times

Advertisements

i'm only chiming in here just to ask why politicians and media people use the term "mis-remembered"

a person can't "mis-remember" stuff like being in a helicopter or being under attack

it's like if someone says "i served in the us army for 6 years" then come to find out the person never was in the military. then when confronted they say "you right, i mis-remembered"

it's just like they think everybody on earth is stupider than them and will believe whatever they say

normally when folks tell lies in general there is a reason for it, maybe they are trying to cover their azz for something or they are trying not to hurt someone feelings. but when you tell an elaborate lie for no apparent reason it makes me think something is wrong with you mentally and i just find it annoying.

smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 06:01 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,438,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Just keep Matt Laurer off the damn broadcast! It's bad enough that he's still on Today. I think Holt will be the new anchor imho
Lauer??? No WAY would I watch if he was on. But the rumors continue -- now Katie Couric is gunning for the job. What a laugh! Holt would be a good choice, though.

I'm bummed by the whole debacle. I really like Brian Williams, but if you can't trust what he says… it's over!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:04 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,666,982 times
What amazes me about this whole issue is the naivety of the public.

They actually think "TV News" is Truth based on Reality.

When in fact, it is entertainment designed to sell products or positions.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,513,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Perhaps? LOL

Brian Williams is a liar. There is no other issue except for attempts to whitewash it.
Sorry, I thought you were sharp enough to understand the use of "perhaps' In this context. I guess in-context responses are tough for you? In this instance, perhaps was not the acknowledgment that what you said may be right, as you clearly assumed. Instead it was a polite way to keep the conversation on track with out getting banned, which is what would have happened had I said what I wanted about your comprehension and debate skills.

Also, I think what you meant to say, in order to have any semblance of credibility is "Brian Williams is a liar in my opinion", because that's all it really is, your opinion. Unless you want to nitpick the detailed definition of a lie, in which case he is, but so are you and me and everyone else. Easier and more defensible as the former over the latter. Also there are lots of other issues, though they may be difficult for you to understand and follow along on point. This is a dead horse now, but if you want to PM I can pass along some great tips for staying on topic. I'm here to help.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:23 PM

39,509 posts, read 15,860,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Sorry, I thought you were sharp enough to understand the use of "perhaps' In this context. I guess in-context responses are tough for you? In this instance, perhaps was not the acknowledgment that what you said may be right, as you clearly assumed. Instead it was a polite way to keep the conversation on track with out getting banned, which is what would have happened had I said what I wanted about your comprehension and debate skills.

Also, I think what you meant to say, in order to have any semblance of credibility is "Brian Williams is a liar in my opinion", because that's all it really is, your opinion. Unless you want to nitpick the detailed definition of a lie, in which case he is, but so are you and me and everyone else. Easier and more defensible as the former over the latter. Also there are lots of other issues, though they may be difficult for you to understand and follow along on point. This is a dead horse now, but if you want to PM I can pass along some great tips for staying on topic. I'm here to help.
Staying on topic? Well.... That doesn't include long diatribes on the definition and uses of the word "perhaps". It's a distraction fallacy created to avoid dealing with the point. So I will pass on your offer of tips. You haven't demonstrated any qualifications on the matter.

The topic at hand, BTW, is Brian Williams. He is a liar and valor thief. It's not opinion as you state. He has admitted to it. It's no more complicated than that no matter how much you try.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:24 PM

13,335 posts, read 5,566,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't think he's "despicable", I just think he is stupid. He has lost all of his credibility now, so he might as well retire.
I don't think he's despicable either, just an embellisher. We all know the person who stretches a story to make it more interesting, the tall tale. However, saying that stuff at cocktail parties just makes interesting stories. Saying it repeatedly on the news, at events, and in speeches, while being the lead anchor of a national network news show shows a lack of integrity and ruins his credibility.

I wonder why people like Brian Williams and Hillary Clinton say things like this when they're so easily verifiable. Now it's going to ruin his career. I just don't see how he recovers from this. He'll probably go on to be a pundit or write books, but this is going to eventually swallow his news career, and rightly so.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:30 PM

13,335 posts, read 5,566,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There is a difference between fudging the facts and lying about them. Ask anyone who has ever been under fire and see if they forgot being so?

He willing lied, this wasn't some misunderstanding or cloudy memory. This would have been a life event, not some casual encounter in the desert with a donkey or camel.

He also didn't apologize willingly. It was only after being called out by the crews involved in the operation that he figured his little gig was up and that he had to say something before someone else did.

Who believes this guy didn't know he lied when he opened his mouth?

He didn't even have the decency to make a straight out apology, instead be stated that he was trying to honor others. Anyone would need to be a humpback whale to swallow that line. These glamour journalists pick and choose their assignments to bolster their reputations and credentials. Now he can add liar to his list.

Think we'll see him making the talk show rounds to fall on his sword in more than a justification of his flawed character? Of course he can't now tell the truth, that he made the story up in the way he described it.

One lie after another. Now he's covering it up with justifications about honoring others. Just how many times has he done this? I doubt it is a single incident. Liars rarely lie just once.
I read on NPR that there are now serious questions about his tales in New Orleans after Katrina. He said he was in the French Quarter and saw a body float by face down, when there was no water in the high ground of the French Quarter. He also said he "accidentally" swallowed some flood water and got dysentery. Beside the obvious question of how does one "accidentally" swallow flood water, a doctor has said that he saw no cases of dysentery, even in the dogs who regularly drank the flood water.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:10 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,156,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't think he's despicable either, just an embellisher. We all know the person who stretches a story to make it more interesting, the tall tale. However, saying that stuff at cocktail parties just makes interesting stories. Saying it repeatedly on the news, at events, and in speeches, while being the lead anchor of a national network news show shows a lack of integrity and ruins his credibility.

I wonder why people like Brian Williams and Hillary Clinton say things like this when they're so easily verifiable. Now it's going to ruin his career. I just don't see how he recovers from this. He'll probably go on to be a pundit or write books, but this is going to eventually swallow his news career, and rightly so.
If someone said they sired your children when they are not your husband or the real father, would that be embellishment or a lie?

Old 02-07-2015, 01:39 PM

13,227 posts, read 11,006,891 times
There will always be the people who see black and white.
There will always be people that see the gray areas.

The people that see the gray areas came from seeing black and white.
They have now chosen a higher way to 'be'...in doing so, they also still see
the black and white thinking...but never want to go back there.
You bet, MLK and Gandhi also saw the black and white thinking, for example.

The people that see the layers, and thus, have forgiveness in them...do not
excuse mistakes or the lying of others...we/they just see that we are all
in a process.

Brian learned a big lesson on his Path...how cool is that.
So now, ok...condemn him?
... And be part of the jealousy, the scratching for ackowledgment, the fear/ego based
thought system that got him into this? No.
As humans we just can't keep perpetuating fear and retribution.

The world has a system of consequences, Spirit has a system of forgiveness when contrite.

Oh boy, is this going to make the ego-mind/intellectual thought system angry. Ha!
Oh well.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:03 PM

419 posts, read 1,009,803 times
Saturday Night Live should have fun with this story tonight.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events