U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 01:23 AM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
... You have no idea if he consciously said it and knew he was wrong, or if he really just remembered it wrong. I don't know either....only Brian Williams knows ...
But here's the thing — this helicopter incident isn't the only time he's said things in news reports that others there dispute. Many people in New Orleans say they complained to NBC about exaggerated statements he made during Hurricane Katrina that were false. He said he "watched bodies floating by" when, according to the hotel where he stayed in the French Quarter, there was never more than five inches of water on the street where they are located.

He also claimed, “My week, two weeks there was not helped by the fact that I accidentally ingested some of the floodwater. I became very sick with dysentery, our hotel was overrun with gangs, I was rescued in the stairwell of a five-star hotel in New Orleans by a young police officer. We are friends to this day. And uh, it just was uh, I look back at total agony.” The hotel disputes all of those statements and those are just some of the the highly dramatic pictures he painted that some believe were made up out of whole cloth.

NBC News anchor Brian Williams' comments about dead bodies, Hurricane Katrina starting to gain attention, draw scrutiny | News | The New Orleans Advocate — New Orleans, Louisiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 01:51 AM

7,903 posts, read 3,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
NBC

A mistake? How do you make a mistake about being in a helicopter that wasn't hit by enemy fire and forced to land? Then he has the gall to claim he was trying to honor service men and women when all this guy was trying to do was honor himself.

He is IMO despicable and should be shamed publicly. Now lets not drag out the names of others because this isn't about anyone else but Brian Williams ok? He is a journalist who is supposed to report facts, not fabricate lies to make himself important.

He is a shameful person, not worthy of reporting on the results of a dog race let alone the news. He has forever proven he can't be trusted.

There is no way he made a mistake, how could that be? Could you be a hour behind a car accident and then mistakenly remember that you were in the car that got hit? Really?
Maybe he was under sniper fire with Hillary, which was just as absurd a claim when she made it back in 2008.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:56 AM

8,592 posts, read 6,110,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
But here's the thing — this helicopter incident isn't the only time he's said things in news reports that others there dispute. Many people in New Orleans say they complained to NBC about exaggerated statements he made during Hurricane Katrina that were false. He said he "watched bodies floating by" when, according to the hotel where he stayed in the French Quarter, there was never more than five inches of water on the street where they are located.

He also claimed, “My week, two weeks there was not helped by the fact that I accidentally ingested some of the floodwater. I became very sick with dysentery, our hotel was overrun with gangs, I was rescued in the stairwell of a five-star hotel in New Orleans by a young police officer. We are friends to this day. And uh, it just was uh, I look back at total agony.” The hotel disputes all of those statements and those are just some of the the highly dramatic pictures he painted that some believe were made up out of whole cloth.

NBC News anchor Brian Williams' comments about dead bodies, Hurricane Katrina starting to gain attention, draw scrutiny | News | The New Orleans Advocate — New Orleans, Louisiana
I'd like to hear more about this.

Since he is interested in returning the man is truly living without a conscience. He is toast.

From the link:
Quote:
“We were told not to drink our bottled water in front of people because we could get killed for it.”
Yeah, right.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
It's amazing some posters here are so willing to let something like this slide by with excuses.
Must be we've become so inured to lying that it's become expected and accepted.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:57 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
I like Brian Williams and I hope he sticks around.

I've never expected him to be perfect and I can handle a few faux pas without feeling like he's been lying to me the entire time.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:16 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

I've never expected him to be perfect and I can handle a few faux pas without feeling like he's been lying to me the entire time.

faux pas??
He didn't just use the wrong fork.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:19 AM

30,405 posts, read 9,086,867 times
This is simply the latest example of Brian Williams' unsuitability for the job. His examples of bias and unprofessionalism are legion (remember his "aside" when reporting on Trump, that he'd "long ago taken the road to irrelevancy?") Sounds like a stick-to-the-facts reporter to me.

Now he's a liar, and he's been lying about and embroidering that tale for over a decade. We all know that's something a real hero (a veteran) wouldn't be doing.

And for that he decides to .....take a vacation.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:44 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,382,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Do you apply that standard to others you know, say friends and family members?

Just where do you draw the line in deciding what is a faux pas and what is a lie? Marriage vows or ???

Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,472,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Kind of like Al Gore's blatant lies about Vietnam?

You mean he lied about Vietnam in addition to lying about inventing the internet?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,472,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
If Ronald Reagan could take scenes from his films and put them in speeches as if they not only happened, but imply that he was there, I don't see the problem. Nobody said Reagan should be fired for "misremembering."

On Reagan: "For another thing, he sometimes described movie scenes as if they had happened in real life. Speaking to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society in December 1983, he told a World War II story of a B-17 captain whose plane had been hit and who was unable to drag his wounded young ball-turret gunner out of the turret; instead of parachuting to safety with the rest of the crew, the captain took the frightened boy's hand and said, "Never mind, son, we'll ride it down together." Reagan concluded by telling the society that the captain had been posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. But no such person existed: the story came from the 1946 movie A Wing and a Prayer. Within a month of this event Reagan told the Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir that the roots of his concern for Israel could be traced back to World War II, when he, as a Signal Corps photographer, had filmed the horrors of the Nazi death camps. Reagan, however, did not leave California during World War II; he had apparently seen a documentary about the camps. "

https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/...rald-blue.html

So the Gipper told a few white lies, big deal. Reagan made a few blunders (immigration, Afghanistan), but most important is that he made the country feel good after that no good Jimmy Carter drove the country and its optimism right into the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events