U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,150,964 times

Advertisements

What a shame. He is my preferred anchor re: voice and demeanor so it would be sad if he has to go. I'm fairly certain that most reporters - more unwillingly than willingly - fudge the facts. That's kinda why the media has had a bad reputation since, oh, say about the time of Gutenberg... Still, it's likely not the end of his career - I'm sure CNN would happily take him on... as they did with Piers Morgan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:11 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,292,341 times
Its just seems public figure begin to believe their on BS. He wanted clearly to make himself a heroic figure for whatever reason. Now he suffers the consequences of lying; which isn't good when trust in what your saying is your job.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:16 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,428,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
What a shame. He is my preferred anchor re: voice and demeanor so it would be sad if he has to go. I'm fairly certain that most reporters - more unwillingly than willingly - fudge the facts. That's kinda why the media has had a bad reputation since, oh, say about the time of Gutenberg... Still, it's likely not the end of his career - I'm sure CNN would happily take him on... as they did with Piers Morgan.
There is a difference between fudging the facts and lying about them. Ask anyone who has ever been under fire and see if they forgot being so?

He willing lied, this wasn't some misunderstanding or cloudy memory. This would have been a life event, not some casual encounter in the desert with a donkey or camel.

He also didn't apologize willingly. It was only after being called out by the crews involved in the operation that he figured his little gig was up and that he had to say something before someone else did.

Who believes this guy didn't know he lied when he opened his mouth?

He didn't even have the decency to make a straight out apology, instead be stated that he was trying to honor others. Anyone would need to be a humpback whale to swallow that line. These glamour journalists pick and choose their assignments to bolster their reputations and credentials. Now he can add liar to his list.

Think we'll see him making the talk show rounds to fall on his sword in more than a justification of his flawed character? Of course he can't now tell the truth, that he made the story up in the way he described it.

One lie after another. Now he's covering it up with justifications about honoring others. Just how many times has he done this? I doubt it is a single incident. Liars rarely lie just once.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:18 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,740,598 times
people watch brian williams?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 PM

13,717 posts, read 13,615,688 times
He's a plonker.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 PM

9,206 posts, read 5,717,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
He should be fired for lying to the public. Case closed for me.
Absolutely !

Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,477,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't think he's "despicable", I just think he is stupid. He has lost all of his credibility now, so he might as well retire.
This pretty much nails it.

He's probably not a bad guy, but as a news anchor of one of the most prestigious, long-running news programs, following in the footsteps of Tom Brokaw, it was a disastrous thing to do for his career. If I were a network exec, I'd fire him. The only question is whether to do it right away or to let him sail off quietly into the night over the next few weeks and months. But this is probably the beginning of the end for Pete, which is a shame because he had established himself as a reputable reporter, and I think it was probably nothing more than a split-second moment of stupidity that ended up having long-term consequences.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 5,162,185 times
This is what happens when the journalist/news anchor becomes more important than the news story they are supposed to be covering. The news networks are constantly promoting their 'stars', and they will use anything (true or not) to pump up their image & ratings. Most likely not the first time a journalist has lied to make himself look good to his audience. Brian Williams got caught lying, so now he's apologizing for his 'mistake' in a lame effort at damage control. Good luck with that, Brian.

Last edited by catdad7x; 02-05-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 01:27 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,656,468 times
Very nave of him to think he would not be found out. I wonder what he's told in the past that hasn't caught up with him?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:28 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,726,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
He should be fired for lying to the public. Case closed for me.
Well than you wouldn't have anybody on the air reporting the "news".

CNN is the worst culprit. Pretending to be places when they're using green screens. If you can't just say you're in the studio and pretend to be elsewhere, well what else isn't the truth.

Even the recent big snowstorm, Don Lemon was pretending to outside with another guy, problem was there was no visible breath...LOL. And the screen behind them no one was looking over at the camera, it was clearly fake.

The news media in this country is now owned by 4 or 5 corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events