U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:31 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well the liberal media isn't about to expose one of their own. He should be fired. But NBC being what it is, he will probably get a pay raise.

Disgusting.
Ummm, MSNBC, CNN, Huffington Post, etc are all reporting this. Get out of your bubble. There is no "liberal media" conspiring to cover this up, ya nut.
As for the actual lie, who actually cares? He lied about an irrelevant thing for the purpose of self-aggrandizing. Could we please stop throwing fake outrage tantrums in the name of "the troops"? I'm a veteran and I really don't care. We would much rather you get outraged over the struggles so many vets face after coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 PM

3,832 posts, read 2,897,741 times
I'm just shocked that he thought he could get away with this.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
He's been making the story more exaggerated for a decade so he probably started to believe it.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,051,355 times
The cupcakes will buy his apology and move on, for those of us who know better, his credibility is shot. To pretend that he was with Delta Shooters onboard the Black hawk that was carrying Tier-1 operators is beyond a mistake. It's "morally irrehensible" .

To say he was on and hit by enemy fire and then was forced to land? what an @ss hat..

Last edited by Knightly Knight; 02-05-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 01:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 5,099,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Ummm, MSNBC, CNN, Huffington Post, etc are all reporting this. Get out of your bubble. There is no "liberal media" conspiring to cover this up, ya nut.
As for the actual lie, who actually cares? He lied about an irrelevant thing for the purpose of self-aggrandizing. Could we please stop throwing fake outrage tantrums in the name of "the troops"? I'm a veteran and I really don't care. We would much rather you get outraged over the struggles so many vets face after coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan.
You may not care, but I do... and yes I'm a combat veteran like you. I'm not 'outraged' by this, but am disgusted and a little angry when someone steals credit or recognition that they don't deserve, then put it out for public consumption for their own advancement. I'm not going to lose any sleep over Brian Williams and the lie he told. It may or may not hurt his career, but perhaps his public humiliation will make someone else think twice about doing it.
For the record, I am outraged by the way this government takes care of it's veterans needs, and it's every citizen's fault for not demanding changes long ago. But what Bryan Williams did was a slap in the face to those struggling veterans.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You may not care, but I do... and yes I'm a combat veteran like you. I'm not 'outraged' by this, but am disgusted and a little angry when someone steals credit or recognition that they don't deserve, then put it out for public consumption for their own advancement. I'm not going to lose any sleep over Brian Williams and the lie he told. It may or may not hurt his career, but perhaps his public humiliation will make someone else think twice about doing it.
For the record, I am outraged by the way this government takes care of it's veterans needs, and it's every citizen's fault for not demanding changes long ago. But what Bryan Williams did was a slap in the face to those struggling veterans.
I can't count the number of combat vets I've known who have exaggerated or falsified stories for self-aggrandizement. Williams was just dumb enough to do it very publicly. I think if he ever knowingly tells a lie in his reporting he should be fired, but this is just a dude trying to make himself seem cooler than he is.

I also want to clarify that I'm not a combat veteran, just a veteran. I was in the Air Force in a com-combat capacity, specifically operations intelligence and public affairs.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:48 PM

3,697 posts, read 6,712,673 times
Was he dodging sniper fire when his chopper was down?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:14 PM

15,568 posts, read 9,642,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

I'm shocked that news people don't tell the truth !!!!!! Oh, wait, no, I am not shocked they don't tell the truth. Where is Walter Cronkite when we need him ?

Don

Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM

160 posts, read 167,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
He should be fired for lying to the public. Case closed for me.
In fairness, if "lying to the public" were the standard by which people keep or lose their jobs, there wouldn't be many politicians, cops, or other civil servants left.

But I agree completely with you that Williams has destroyed what journalistic credibility he ever had.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM

12,628 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You should care.

His lie has nothing to do with it being a combat situation, it has to do with the integrity of him being a journalist and the media in general.

The media, through people like him, serve as the gatekeeper for a lot of information for people to base their opinions and decisions on. This lie is just yet another case where a well regarded journalist/media got caught red handed. He lied about this, what else has he lied about? What "spin" as he put on other stories? Is this a media wide issue? How do we really know what is going on on the other side of the world?

For example the edited Zimmerman-Martin 911 call; how does any of us know that this kind of spin is not being done in other areas, areas much less able to verify? When the Iranian leader says something, did the media really interpret it correctly? When the US does something, is that what really happened? Is the story behind actions real? Or is there spin involved?

Newsweek had a while ago where they put more smoke in a photo of an Israeli airstrike, they did this to make the impact that much greater because the airstrike was rather trivial. How many other doctored stories are there and never discovered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events