U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:58 PM

8,461 posts, read 5,825,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I can't count the number of combat vets I've known who have exaggerated or falsified stories for self-aggrandizement. Williams was just dumb enough to do it very publicly. I think if he ever knowingly tells a lie in his reporting he should be fired, but this is just a dude trying to make himself seem cooler than he is.

I also want to clarify that I'm not a combat veteran, just a veteran. I was in the Air Force in a com-combat capacity, specifically operations intelligence and public affairs.
Doesn't matter, you are still a veteran the same as everyone who served in the military... combat or not.
I've also known a few guys who had a habit of exaggerating things quite a bit. Tried not to let it bother me most of the time. Fortunately, they weren't anyone I considered a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:08 PM

35,530 posts, read 10,525,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
He should be fired for lying to the public. Case closed for me.
And his "apology" sucked moose balls. He tried to make the lie sound insignificant by saying he was "following" on another helicopter. Yeah. He arrived an hour later.

Just like Nancy Snyderman "apologized" for not adhering to her Ebola self-quarantine by saying "our team" went out, they're all trying to keep their fig leaves on.

Give me a break.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 PM

16,398 posts, read 13,107,421 times
I just want to know which is most hated in the forum right now, McDonald's or this guy?
It should be called, "Current Hates" instead of events.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:42 PM

200 posts, read 135,359 times
I spent 3 years in the army, one in Viet Nam. I then worked in hospitals for 30 years.
I'm done with NBC. And I've been watching NBC since Walter Cronkite was reporting.
I'm done with Brian Williams and Dr. Nancy. I won't watch NBC news again until they're
both gone. The problem I have now is: Where do I get my news? I can't watch Fox.
O'reilly is a horses ass and Hannity is a knucklehead. And I can't watch Megyn Kelly until
she gets rid of those K-Mart extension that she stuck on her head. I guess I'm reduced to
watching ESPN and the weather channel. I don't know where I'm going to get my
hourly Kardashian update. Help!

Old 02-05-2015, 03:47 PM

8,461 posts, read 5,825,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I just want to know which is most hated in the forum right now, McDonald's or this guy?
It should be called, "Current Hates" instead of events.
It's a current event, and what he did was in the public eye and goes to his credibility. Seems a fair topic to me. For the record, I don't hate Williams but have lost any respect I might have had for him.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:13 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,880,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I can't count the number of combat vets I've known who have exaggerated or falsified stories for self-aggrandizement. Williams was just dumb enough to do it very publicly. I think if he ever knowingly tells a lie in his reporting he should be fired, but this is just a dude trying to make himself seem cooler than he is.

I also want to clarify that I'm not a combat veteran, just a veteran. I was in the Air Force in a com-combat capacity, specifically operations intelligence and public affairs.
How many of them make a lot of money doing the exaggeration? This wasn't exaggeration, why can't we say it like it is, an outright lie?

Williams makes about 10 million a year, in effect selling his reputation and the perception that he is believable. News anchors that aren't believable have short careers. Williams is very well compensated for what he does, very well indeed. He gets paid because of what he says and the way he says it. Liars lie. It is what they do.

This thing that he isn't a bad guy, liars are bad guys. Regardless, he enjoys a certain level of trust and has gone through great effort to maintain that relationship with the people that watch his reporting. The sponsors that buy time during the broadcasts he does also rely on his relationship with viewers so a lot of money is going into his pockets because of the relationship he has cultivated with his viewers, it is monetized.

Basically, Williams sells his reputation which is now dirt, as it should be.

Maybe the point that Williams reported this was lost? That is what he did. He wasn't someone trying to bolster his rep to some friends or the local pub, he went on air and said it. He wasn't being stupid, he was serious and knew what he was doing, how could he not?

The vets that might say they did things they didn't aren't on national TV using their lies to make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

One more thing, when someone is caught claiming military honors falsely, the penalties are very severe. There are General officers that get forced out because they claim to have earned honors they really didn't.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,818,560 times
Isn't NBC News in first place right now? Watch them drop to third real quick.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,880,520 times
Since Williams accepts money for what he says, this might be tantamount to fraud. He knew what he said wasn't true. He took money for his reporting. Seems like fraud to me.

I can see sponsors bailing now. They nearly nail companies to wooden planks when some CEO voices their opinion that crosses some line of popular thinking. This is far worse.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:33 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,592,717 times
Classic fish tale. Nothing for anyone to wring their hands over. The older I get the more I misremember things.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
I don't think this is anything about corporations or politics or anything else but him personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events