U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,699,789 times

Advertisements

I think this is all one giant mistake.

The news media would NEVER lie to their viewers, fabricate any stories, exaggerate information, or paint anyone in a bad way. NEVER EVER!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,303,406 times
Now anything he reports is suspect. Credibility is gone.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:27 AM

10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times
And NBC has way too much money invested in the Brian Williams product to do anything. This will be swept under the rug. Anyway, people today are so used to being lied to by everyone and everything, it will be forgotten in a few days.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,382,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
And NBC has way too much money invested in the Brian Williams product to do anything. This will be swept under the rug. Anyway, people today are so used to being lied to by everyone and everything, it will be forgotten in a few days.
They do have to do something because they will see a change in the amount of money companies are willing to pay for advertising. Williams not only damaged himself, he represents NBC so he damaged them as well. NBC can't disassociate itself from Williams and this isn't being lost on the other major networks.

NBC is paying Williams too much money just to let it wash. While they aren't going to do something immediately, to save face, they will no doubt do something, perhaps over the next few months after seeing how long this drags out.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, the onion peeling is just getting started. Williams entire career on the national networks will be analyzed to see if there are any other lies to be uncovered.

Just watching the news you can see more and more of the story coming out. The claims about the rescue are now making the rounds. There was no rescue as Williams told it. He lied about that too.

Then, he wasn't behind the helo that got hit, he was traveling in the opposite direction. These facts are hard to dismiss and his so called lapse in memory are laughable.

What Williams wanted everyone to believe is little different than if someone was driving on the freeway southbound at 5pm and at 4pm on the Northbound lane there was an accident that resulted in an ambulance being called, then years later recalling that they were in the car that got hit, that they were traveling South instead or North and that they were taken away in an ambulance.

That some call it a mistake is just as bad as what Williams did as they seem to think that calling a lie a lie is somehow wrong and in this day and age, no one should be called a liar, but attribute lies to failing memories.

What's next, Williams claiming he is ill and therefore can't remember life impacting events? Can he remember to check his bank account to insure his next appearance check got deposited and does he remember where he lives?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 AM

6,449 posts, read 6,458,930 times
Oh I think NBC has a huge problem on their hands...I would suspend him without pay...let him give media interviews...Williams has to say the "L" word (lied)...Williams has to profusely apologize...wait a few months...let it die down...bring him back with much fanfare about how he has been born again as a truth teller...America loves a comeback story...But NBC won't do any of this...they will hope it blows over...as long as ratings don't decline Williams will be fine...damaged somewhat...but he can rebuild it...

Old 02-06-2015, 10:23 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,491,378 times
Wow, i'm really surprised by the harsh response. To me, the key factor is "intent". If his intent was to clearly deceive and somehow benefit from that, then he should be penalized. But I don't feel like that was his intent. now before anyone fires off a retort that I'm wrong, realize that NOBODY will ever really know the answer but him. The best we can do is weigh the evidence and form our own opinions.

In is hard to imagine how he could make that mistake, but to me it is not impossible. He was in a war zone and people/helicopters around him were shot. If it were me i would be scared s^&*less and could very easily lose some of the detail after 10 years. The human memory is a funny thing. I'm sure we have all been positive something was said or done, only to find we were wrong? Studies are always showing that witnesses of crime often make amazingly incorrect observations when recalling their story. Hi stress and pressure situations and the way the brain recalls them is not really understood well, but anecdotal evidence sure supports that most people have done this. And again, then it comes back to intent and if it was a conscious decision to deceive. I believe he had no intent to deceive and really believed it happened that way.

And as for no longer being able to read the news, that's ridiculous. News anchors are human, not Gods. He came forward on his own and readily admitted the mistake, not the sign of a man with an integrity issue. Besides, he literally READS the news to you...he doesn't speak for all of NBC in making whatever political statements he wants. If you blindly accept everything he reads as the truth then I guess I could see your point if he ever shared personal experiences, but not to READ the news of the world that doesn't involve him. Its starting to sound like a witch hunt and we will all lose if he is removed from this position for a error in memory that was not done for any gain, had no malicious intent and for which he readily admitted and apologized. I suspect many people in this forum wouldn't show that same level of integrity.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:53 AM

7,588 posts, read 5,102,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Wow, i'm really surprised by the harsh response. To me, the key factor is "intent". If his intent was to clearly deceive and somehow benefit from that, then he should be penalized. But I don't feel like that was his intent. now before anyone fires off a retort that I'm wrong, realize that NOBODY will ever really know the answer but him. The best we can do is weigh the evidence and form our own opinions.

In is hard to imagine how he could make that mistake, but to me it is not impossible. He was in a war zone and people/helicopters around him were shot. If it were me i would be scared s^&*less and could very easily lose some of the detail after 10 years. The human memory is a funny thing. I'm sure we have all been positive something was said or done, only to find we were wrong? Studies are always showing that witnesses of crime often make amazingly incorrect observations when recalling their story. Hi stress and pressure situations and the way the brain recalls them is not really understood well, but anecdotal evidence sure supports that most people have done this. And again, then it comes back to intent and if it was a conscious decision to deceive. I believe he had no intent to deceive and really believed it happened that way.

And as for no longer being able to read the news, that's ridiculous. News anchors are human, not Gods. He came forward on his own and readily admitted the mistake, not the sign of a man with an integrity issue. Besides, he literally READS the news to you...he doesn't speak for all of NBC in making whatever political statements he wants. If you blindly accept everything he reads as the truth then I guess I could see your point if he ever shared personal experiences, but not to READ the news of the world that doesn't involve him. Its starting to sound like a witch hunt and we will all lose if he is removed from this position for a error in memory that was not done for any gain, had no malicious intent and for which he readily admitted and apologized. I suspect many people in this forum wouldn't show that same level of integrity.
If I understand correctly, he told the lie back in 2003 right after it happened, and has retold it ever since. As for benefiting from the lie, he is paid (handsomely) every time he opens his mouth, and anything that boosts his ratings directly benefits him. He knew what he was doing, he just didn't think anyone would call him out on it.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 AM

9,060 posts, read 5,656,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
If I understand correctly, he told the lie back in 2003 right after it happened, and has retold it ever since. As for benefiting from the lie, he is paid (handsomely) every time he opens his mouth, and anything that boosts his ratings directly benefits him. He knew what he was doing, he just didn't think anyone would call him out on it.
Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned he should be out of a job.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:04 AM

12,620 posts, read 10,732,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
NBC
A mistake? .
He is IMO despicable and should be shamed publicly.
He was wrong.
It is unprofessional.
He is unprofessional
He may be a huge storyteller at parties, he crossed that line...ok....he is just human...so
I'm not quite as harsh...I expect this from people...anybody and everybody...they
are flawed, oh well, what's new!

I think the question is-- is he losing money for NBC now?
I think yes....will they fire him?
I wonder...because all they care about is the bottom line, imo, no harm, that's
what a business is...there
won't be any loyalty from the execs, I bet.

I also wonder if the opinions here could be weighed as: Females not so harsh.
Males very harsh....a sociological survey.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:10 AM

12,620 posts, read 10,732,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Now anything he reports is suspect. Credibility is gone.
And I think the opposite...he will never lie again!

In fact, if he looked into the camera and said that...it would do alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events