Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

A Maryland 911 operator has been disciplined after telling a traumatized teen to "stop whining." CNN affiliate WBAL has more

911 operator tells caller to 'stop whining' - CNN Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I had about the same thing happen a few months ago. A car almost hit me in traffic and as I was following him it was obvious the guy was drunk. Kept swerving from lane to lane, running off the edge of the road, etc.

I got on my cell phone and dialed 911 and the dispatcher was a total ass. I was trying to give him the license number and location, all the while trying to drive, and he kept telling me to answer his questions and not to give him the info I was trying to give him. I tried to explain we were in heavy traffic and I was trying to drive, so I needed to get the info out to him as quickly as I could, but he kept stopping me and generally being rude.

The other car finally got away from me in traffic, but I called the Sheriff's office and registered a complaint against the 911 guy. Here I was, trying to be a good citizen and keep an accident from happening, and the dispatcher wouldn't take the info I was providing.

Don

Old 02-07-2015, 10:42 AM

421 posts, read 410,988 times
OMG that brings me back to my 911 call as my husband was dying. The operator kept up with the questions "was I alone-how old was he-how did I know he was having a heart attack...all the time I am, trying to find out the correct way to give cpr and she was not letting me speak. Finally I just put down the dam phone and gave him cpr the best I knew how to. I eventually picked up the phone(it was 15 min before ambulance came) and she said "are you giving him cpr? and I screamed
"yes I am, no thanks to you you B<<tch! I did a lot of screaming and name calling and would have reported her if I was in my right mind. People should report bad operators. There is no room for an inefficient 911 operator.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:52 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
911 operators are completely incompetent. If I'm not mistaken the girl in the above story was only 13 years old and had just watched her father get hit by a car. Telling her repeatedly to "stop whining" is completely unprofessional. I hope the person gets fired.

I remember a case where a girl was fighting off an intruder in her apartment. She managed to dial 911 on her cell phone, however the 911 operator thought she was playing a prank and didn't prioritize the call. The girl ended up being strangled. They either need to get better training for these people or hire people who actually have a brain in their head and can think under pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events