Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times

Advertisements

Racism is not nice. I suspect he felt that he had nothing to lose when he was dying and vented all of his anger that he bottled up over the years...

Quote:
A Newmarket, Ont., judge made legal history this week by overturning a man’s last will and testament because his deathbed pleas were overtly racist.

Judge C.A. Gilmore overturned Jamaican-born Rector Emanuel (Eric) Spence’s will, because he had disinherited a daughter who gave birth to a white man’s child.

It is the first known example of a judge nullifying an entire will on the grounds that the motivations of the dead offended “public policy.”

Mr. Spence, who died alone in 2013, disowned his daughter when he found out she was carrying the infant. Instead, he left $400,000 to another daughter whom he barely knew in the U.K., largely out of anger and spite.

The court documents show that Mr. Spence and his daughter, Verolin, had an excellent relationship until 2002.
Judge rejects Ontario man’s ‘racist will’ that disinherited daughter for having ‘bastard white son’ | National Post

Here's his obit...
Rector "Eric" Spence Obituary - Jerrett Funeral Homes | Toronto ON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 AM

774 posts, read 744,856 times
Wow. It was his money to do with what he wanted for whatever reason. The decision will be overturned in a heartbeat.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Wow. It was his money to do with what he wanted for whatever reason. The decision will be overturned in a heartbeat.
So you're quite the expert on Canadian jurisprudence, eh?

From the article:
Quote:
Previous precedents have also overruled wills that tried to grant posthumous gifts to entities that judges have deemed contrary to “public policy,” as well. Last year, for example, a New Brunswick court violated the will of coin collector Robert McCorkill, who bequeathed his fortune to a West-Virginia neo-Nazi group.
Also, actually reading the linked article helps.

Again, from the (apparently unread) article:
Quote:
Because Donna Spence has so far been unwilling to participate in the proceedings, it’s unlikely the ruling will ever be challenged.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
So, apparently black people can be racists, too.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:16 AM

377 posts, read 670,301 times
I think the judge is a moron. Yes it was racist but this man should've been able to do whatever he wanted with HIS money. If I want to leave all my money to the freaking KKK that is MY RIGHT! (and no I do not support the KKK in ANY way this is just to make a point)

I'm so sick of the courts getting involved in this crap. I feel like freedoms are being stripped away one by one. When are we going to say enough is enough?

Old 02-06-2015, 07:27 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Jim B. In Toronto.
Of course. Every group has racists; there is no race that is exempt from this. In fact, some of the worst racists I've personally met have been non-white people.

However, in general, people of color do get the short end of the stick more often, especially because they also face racism from people of their own race. White-on-white racism pales in comparison; it's almost insignificant. Then there's also the fact that the system, not just in white majority countries but also in other countries, tends to favor white people. Visiting China? Have fun if you're white (or Chinese), but watch out if you're black.

The issue of who is more racist and who suffers more from racism are related but not exactly the same thing.

Getting off-topic here...

Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Avocado View Post
I think the judge is a moron. Yes it was racist but this man should've been able to do whatever he wanted with HIS money. If I want to leave all my money to the freaking KKK that is MY RIGHT! (and no I do not support the KKK in ANY way this is just to make a point)

I'm so sick of the courts getting involved in this crap. I feel like freedoms are being stripped away one by one. When are we going to say enough is enough?
I agree, the man was a racist, but it was his money to do with what he chose. Considering he basically had no contact with the daughter in the UK it was mean and spiteful but still HIS money.
Guess the only way around this is start to bequeath while you still draw breath.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Who are any of you to tell the Canadians how their legal system should work? If you are from Canada fine. If not, its really none of our business as Americans.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:54 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Even though I'm glad she got a portion of the money, I don't like the fact that a CA judge can change one's wishes. I don't think that's fair.

Quote:

Jim B. In Toronto.
Were you being sarcastic?

Um, yes we can. I thought this was a known fact. Lol, if you don't believe me lurk on some black forums and read what they say about white people.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:08 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:

Jim B. In Toronto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Were you being sarcastic?

Um, yes we can. I thought this was a known fact. Lol, if you don't believe me lurk on some black forums and read what they say about white people.
Of course he was being sarcastic.

Not sure about Canadian media but the American media is more of a propoganda machine than news reporting source.

We very rarely hear about black racism towards whites in the American MSM. The American MSM acts as if it doesn't exist.

Black teen criminals are usually referred to as youths or teens. The knockout game has been largely ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events