U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 PM

5,194 posts, read 3,015,647 times

Advertisements

I'm a strong believer in keeping evidence of our history as it was. We live in the area where the USA-Dakota Indian Conflict of 1862 took place and there are some people here who would like to close the historic forts and battle sites to public visitation.

Yikes. What part of "forgetting history condemns us to repeat it" don't they understand?

The hand-wringing is optional and also very personal. What No Kudzu did with her children sounds like an inspired idea and I wish I'd thought of it in the day. Allowing people to explore their feelings about what they are learning seems really healthy. Particularly for children.

But when it comes to shaming or preaching language at our historical sites I lose patience. And I've seen it. Turns me off. I've continue my own soul-searching journey and balk at anything that smacks of government conditioning. Closing these places down or making changes in the truth is equally offensive to me.

The best presentation I've ever seen was at the site of The Battle of Little Big Horn. Three rangers spoke. One of them had Native heritage. The information was provided appropriately matter-of-factly and by the end of the day many of us were moved to tears by the story of the struggle, the suffering and the human errors.

It would have been a loss, indeed, to have had that grim story lost to humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 PM

11,401 posts, read 6,813,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Only in America...
Agreed! Only in America would the media have the freedom, the incentive, and the audience to call attention to an oversight from an era that answered to a different set of rules .... or would the community have the resources to correct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events