U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2015, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
8,869 posts, read 10,336,546 times
Reputation: 9277

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
It's clearly because of illegal immigrants who illegally crossed our borders. Nobody knows what vaccinations those people have had, if any. It's not like they bring their health records with them when they sneak over here through the desert with only the clothes on their back.
Why do people keep saying this? It's silly. We have international airports all over the USA with thousands of people from all over the world moving through them every day. I'm currently planning a trip to Mexico this summer, as a US citizen I need no proof of immunization to go or come back. Viruses do not care if you cross a border illegally or not. The Ebola scare in Dallas recently? All legal entries. Think, people!

 
Old 02-09-2015, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,564 posts, read 26,190,928 times
Reputation: 26618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
It's clearly because of illegal immigrants who illegally crossed our borders. Nobody knows what vaccinations those people have had, if any. It's not like they bring their health records with them when they sneak over here through the desert with only the clothes on their back.


Many of the unaccompanied children who came across the border last year did bring immunization records with them. There were some cases of chickenpox, some colds and diarrhea, scabies and head lice, but no active tuberculosis. Those for whom immunizations were indicated received them.

Vectors or Victims? Docs Slam Rumors That Migrants Carry Disease - NBC News

"World Bank statistics indicate that some of the countries that the kids are traveling from actually have higher vaccination rates than the United States. The U.S. has a 92 percent vaccination rate for measles. Mexico vaccinates 99 percent of its children; Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras all have a 93 percent vaccination rate.

In fact, many of the children and adults are carrying their vaccination cards with them, says Dr. Martin Garza, a Texas pediatrician who is caring for immigrants in McAllen, Texas. “They are up to date in their countries,” Garza told NBC News. 'This is not the poorest of the poor kids that we are seeing. In fact, they are what might be described as middle class. They have had medical care. They have been vaccinated.'

He said that while some of the kids are sick, it’s nothing unusual.

'The illnesses are pretty much what I see on a daily basis at my regular office,' Garza said. They have common colds and other respiratory infections that kids get every day, stomach pain and constipation or diarrhea. 'Some of it might come from the fact that they haven’t had a really good meal for months and then we suddenly feed them one,' he said.

Garza said he has not seen a case of active tuberculosis. People can be infected latently, meaning they don't show symptoms, but they also will not spread TB if they are infected in that way.Garza said he has seen some overwrought news reports about scabies and head lice.

'People have some real confused notions about what scabies or head lice are. Those things are more of a nuisance than actual problems,' Garza said, noting that head lice are so common and so harmless that the American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that kids not even be kept out of school because of them."
 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 AM
 
38,349 posts, read 15,386,340 times
Reputation: 16933
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Why do people keep saying this? It's silly. We have international airports all over the USA with thousands of people from all over the world moving through them every day. I'm currently planning a trip to Mexico this summer, as a US citizen I need no proof of immunization to go or come back. Viruses do not care if you cross a border illegally or not. The Ebola scare in Dallas recently? All legal entries. Think, people!
It's not silly.

It's the lowest on the rung of society in these 3rd world countries that are crossing the border and most likely the ones that have not been vaccinated and most likely to have been exposed to disease. Furthermore their are illegal aliens who are crossing the border from countries further south of Mexico that have far far more desperate situations than even the worst of Mexico.

I agree with you however the ones well off enough to use the airlines to come into the USA are low risk.
 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:28 AM
 
38,349 posts, read 15,386,340 times
Reputation: 16933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
....

Oh well, so many are so far gone on the topic they'll never change their mind even after the Wakefield fraud got uncovered so many doubled down on conspiracy.
Indeed. I have not heard one argument here, beyond fallacy, distraction and nonsense for not getting vaccinated. It's only when their kids are laying in the hospital that the light bulb finally goes off. Well so be it. Darwin at work again.
 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:31 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,626 posts, read 14,005,339 times
Reputation: 18674
Like it or not, if you think that all the illegal aliens being allowed to enter this country are NOT bringing with them diseases that we here in the USA thought were eradicated, you are sadly mistaken. TB is a HUGE issue in Mexico, and you will see more of that in active outbreaks as well. Those here in the US not getting vaccinated by choice will only help spread the problem unfortunately.

VACCINES work, it is proven, and that is why it is "required".....

http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/tb-illega...deadly-threat/
 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
8,869 posts, read 10,336,546 times
Reputation: 9277
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's not silly.

It's the lowest on the rung of society in these 3rd world countries that are crossing the border and most likely the ones that have not been vaccinated and most likely to have been exposed to disease. Furthermore their are illegal aliens who are crossing the border from countries further south of Mexico that have far far more desperate situations than even the worst of Mexico.

I agree with you however the ones well off enough to use the airlines to come into the USA are low risk.
Our local outbreak in 2013 Texas Megachurch At Center Of Measles Outbreak : NPR. One person traveling (legally) and a church that did not believe in vaccines. That's all it took. I could be one of them (I'm not, but let's say for arguments sake), traveling to Mexico and bringing it back.
 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
8,869 posts, read 10,336,546 times
Reputation: 9277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Like it or not, if you think that all the illegal aliens being allowed to enter this country are NOT bringing with them diseases that we here in the USA thought were eradicated, you are sadly mistaken. TB is a HUGE issue in Mexico, and you will see more of that in active outbreaks as well. Those here in the US not getting vaccinated by choice will only help spread the problem unfortunately.

VACCINES work, it is proven, and that is why it is "required".....

TB: Illegals bring deadly threat
We don't vaccinate for TB in the US, they do in Central and South America. Otherwise, I agree. Choosing not to vaccinate is foolish.
 
Old 02-09-2015, 03:13 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,564 posts, read 26,190,928 times
Reputation: 26618
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's not silly.

It's the lowest on the rung of society in these 3rd world countries that are crossing the border and most likely the ones that have not been vaccinated and most likely to have been exposed to disease. Furthermore their are illegal aliens who are crossing the border from countries further south of Mexico that have far far more desperate situations than even the worst of Mexico.

I agree with you however the ones well off enough to use the airlines to come into the USA are low risk.
The people bringing measles are coming in on airplanes. They are returning American citizens and legal visitors.

The countries south of us do vaccinate.

Apparently you did not read this, a few posts above:

Vectors or Victims? Docs Slam Rumors That Migrants Carry Disease - NBC News

"World Bank statistics indicate that some of the countries that the kids are traveling from actually have higher vaccination rates than the United States. The U.S. has a 92 percent vaccination rate for measles. Mexico vaccinates 99 percent of its children; Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras all have a 93 percent vaccination rate.

In fact, many of the children and adults are carrying their vaccination cards with them, says Dr. Martin Garza, a Texas pediatrician who is caring for immigrants in McAllen, Texas. “They are up to date in their countries,” Garza told NBC News. 'This is not the poorest of the poor kids that we are seeing. In fact, they are what might be described as middle class. They have had medical care. They have been vaccinated.'

He said that while some of the kids are sick, it’s nothing unusual.

'The illnesses are pretty much what I see on a daily basis at my regular office,' Garza said. They have common colds and other respiratory infections that kids get every day, stomach pain and constipation or diarrhea. 'Some of it might come from the fact that they haven’t had a really good meal for months and then we suddenly feed them one,' he said.

Garza said he has not seen a case of active tuberculosis. People can be infected latently, meaning they don't show symptoms, but they also will not spread TB if they are infected in that way.Garza said he has seen some overwrought news reports about scabies and head lice.

'People have some real confused notions about what scabies or head lice are. Those things are more of a nuisance than actual problems,' Garza said, noting that head lice are so common and so harmless that the American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends that kids not even be kept out of school because of them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Like it or not, if you think that all the illegal aliens being allowed to enter this country are NOT bringing with them diseases that we here in the USA thought were eradicated, you are sadly mistaken. TB is a HUGE issue in Mexico, and you will see more of that in active outbreaks as well. Those here in the US not getting vaccinated by choice will only help spread the problem unfortunately.

VACCINES work, it is proven, and that is why it is "required".....
I am all for vaccination and immigration reform, but it does not help either of those concerns to blame illegal immigrants when they are not bringing vaccine preventable diseases here.

The US does not vaccinate for tuberculosis.

While it is true that most TB in this country is in foreign born people, most of those are here legally. Tuberculosis incidence is declining, not increasing.

CDC | TB | Fact Sheets | Trends in Tuberculosis – United States

"A total of 9,582 TB cases (a rate of 3.0 cases per 100,000 persons) were reported in the United States in 2013. Both the number of TB cases reported and the case rate decreased; this represents a 3.6% and 4.3% decline, respectively, compared to 2012."

In order to export measles to this country, there has to measles in the countries south of us.

This map shows where measles outbreaks were last year, and the US had a whole lot more than Mexico, Central, or South America.

Map: Vaccine-Preventable Outbreaks | Introduction

Select measles from the list on the left, click apply, and slide the pointer above the years to 2014. Notice where measles outbreaks are conspicuously absent.
 
Old 02-09-2015, 04:44 AM
 
282 posts, read 325,623 times
Reputation: 368
1) The measles virus.
2) Measles "vaccinations".

It has been scientifically and historically proven that areas which are highly vaccinated have more cases of the measles than less or non-vaccinated places.

Moreover, it's good to get the measles. Measles survivors have been shows to have a stronger immune system and be immune to things like breast cancer.

Last edited by SoCalSun; 02-09-2015 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: typo
 
Old 02-09-2015, 04:52 AM
 
38,349 posts, read 15,386,340 times
Reputation: 16933
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
....Apparently you did not read this, a few posts above:Vectors or Victims? Docs Slam Rumors That Migrants Carry Disease - NBC News
.....
Of course I didn't read it. I don't do battle of the web links. If you can't describe your point with a few simple paragraphs at most instead of pointing to someone else's opinion articles then you are are on very shaky ground. Cutting & pasting other people's stuff isn't a substitute for proving your point. All you are proving there is that you have faith in someone else's beliefs.

What I said was simple enough. You simply chose not to address it.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 02-09-2015 at 05:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top