U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2015, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,094 posts, read 99,210,314 times
Reputation: 31569

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm not aware, I'm not that old or feel as odd as you've painted, but, I think you are missing what I'm asking. I tried to be very clear and want to know what the agenda in getting what you want from anti vaxers is. It effects us regular people, like myself as well. I'm done aiding in your arguments, I just really want to know what your fight comes down to.


The question I asked is not, in my opinion a "communist under every bush" mantra. I'm just a regular mom, asking what legislation are pro vaxers going to try and pass because it effects me, I'm a parent who delayed vaccines for a year because of health concerns, I'm glad I had the choice. I like rights protected for woman, parents, men, homosexuals, the religious, all kinds of things. I usually stand on the side of freedom to make these choices, I like that part of America. I would be asking these same questions if someone wanted to prevent abortion by legislation or prevent gays from living their life. It's just my personal desire, to keep choice available. I've learned that most people do what's right, and don't try to harm others by their decisions. They make them carefully. We have a high vaccine rate because people are making good choices, that's my opinion. As you've stated, the sky isn't falling because a few people don't get vaccinated to me. They can gladly have my herd immunity if they are that worried about their kids having vaccines.
Thanks for your reply.
Well, I'm old enough to remember the JBS. I'm not "fighting". I've said this before-I'm a "mythbuster".
As for your list:
School mandates? Yes. Have been on record here on CD about this.

Refusal to doctors offices? No, ditto.

No exemptions for religion? I cannot find one religion that has a church policy of non-immunization. I'm a religious person myself. I'm inclined to go with "no" because of that. I think God has given us the brains to figure out how to keep ourselves healthy, and I think immunizations are a part of it. There was not one religious exemption to immunization in Colorado schools last year, this in the state with the lowest immunization rate in the country. (Though there are some issues with how Colorado collects statistics.)

Bills in congress for laws and mandates regarding vaccine schedules? Probably not a national issue.

Fines? Like they have for lack of health insurance. I'd prefer more of a carrot approach, e.g.some sort of financial benefit for immunizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ah, nevermind, I'll try but seems silly to attempt. Why on earth would I say vaccines cause lymphoma or the rest of it? Kids WITH those illnesses and their parents delay vaccines because of it. If I'm not clear enough for you just skip it, please. No big deal, you don't have to answer my questions.
I don't know, lots of people think immunizations cause all sorts of diseases. I gather you think I'm just dense. Sure sounds like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
:d:d
Re: respectfulness-Pot meet Kettle.

 
Old 02-10-2015, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,619 posts, read 26,307,193 times
Reputation: 26715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Mandatory childhood vaccination laws in Congress for children? Sad. Problem with that one is that vaccinated children will eventually become adults who require boosters. Forced vaccination of children will not give Herd Immunity when there are adults (like with the Disney outbreaks) who are walking around either unvaccinated themselves or not up to date on boosters. Pie in the sky thinking. There is no PANDEMIC of measles or anything else to universally mandate vaccinations on the entire population (adults included). Children are just the easier target.
Vaccinated children grow up to become adults who are immune.

Most adults do not need regular boosters against childhood diseases. One Tdap. That's it. Why do you keep harping on this topic when what you are saying is not true?
 
Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,094 posts, read 99,210,314 times
Reputation: 31569
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Vaccinated children grow up to become adults who are immune.

Most adults do not need regular boosters against childhood diseases. One Tdap. That's it. Why do you keep harping on this topic when what you are saying is not true?
Some people like this philosophy:
“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”
 
Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,306,263 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm not aware, I'm not that old or feel as odd as you've painted, but, I think you are missing what I'm asking. I tried to be very clear and want to know what the agenda in getting what you want from anti vaxers is. It effects us regular people, like myself as well. I'm done aiding in your arguments, I just really want to know what your fight comes down to.

School mandates?
Refusal to doctors offices?
No exemptions for religion?
Bills in congress for laws and mandates regarding vaccine schedules?
Fines? Like they have for lack of health insurance.

The question I asked is not, in my opinion a "communist under every bush" mantra. I'm just a regular mom, asking what legislation are pro vaxers going to try and pass because it effects me, I'm a parent who delayed vaccines for a year because of health concerns, I'm glad I had the choice. I like rights protected for woman, parents, men, homosexuals, the religious, all kinds of things. I usually stand on the side of freedom to make these choices, I like that part of America. I would be asking these same questions if someone wanted to prevent abortion by legislation or prevent gays from living their life. It's just my personal desire, to keep choice available. I've learned that most people do what's right, and don't try to harm others by their decisions. They make them carefully. We have a high vaccine rate because people are making good choices, that's my opinion. As you've stated, the sky isn't falling because a few people don't get vaccinated to me. They can gladly have my herd immunity if they are that worried about their kids having vaccines.
Thanks for your reply.
Another great post. I especially agree with the bolded portion.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,582,254 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Well, I'm old enough to remember the JBS. I'm not "fighting". I've said this before-I'm a "mythbuster".
As for your list:
School mandates? Yes. Have been on record here on CD about this.

Refusal to doctors offices? No, ditto.

No exemptions for religion? I cannot find one religion that has a church policy of non-immunization. I'm a religious person myself. I'm inclined to go with "no" because of that. I think God has given us the brains to figure out how to keep ourselves healthy, and I think immunizations are a part of it. There was not one religious exemption to immunization in Colorado schools last year, this in the state with the lowest immunization rate in the country. (Though there are some issues with how Colorado collects statistics.)

Bills in congress for laws and mandates regarding vaccine schedules? Probably not a national issue.

Fines? Like they have for lack of health insurance. I'd prefer more of a carrot approach, e.g.some sort of financial benefit for immunizing.



I don't know, lots of people think immunizations cause all sorts of diseases. I gather you think I'm just dense. Sure sounds like it.



Re: respectfulness-Pot meet Kettle.
Thanks for the first reply, not sure what to think of the second and those were suppose to be smiley faces for her nice comment. : But, for some reason they didn't show up. Pot meet kettle, well she's nice and easy to talk to, so I guess that comment is just awesome.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,094 posts, read 99,210,314 times
Reputation: 31569
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Thanks for the first reply, not sure what to think of the second and those were suppose to be smiley faces for her nice comment. : But, for some reason they didn't show up. Pot meet kettle, well she's nice and easy to talk to, so I guess that comment is just awesome.
Sorry I misinterpreted. I thought you were implying I wasn't being respectful, and that you thought I was dense. You said I didn't have to answer your questions; I sensed an edge in there like you didn't want to hear my answers b/c I see things too "black and white".
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,582,254 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Another great post. I especially agree with the bolded portion.
Thanks Terri, I feel strongly about it.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,582,254 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Sorry I misinterpreted. I thought you were implying I wasn't being respectful, and that you thought I was dense. You said I didn't have to answer your questions; I sensed an edge in there like you didn't want to hear my answers b/c I see things too "black and white".
Naw, I meant it wasn't that important. I'm on my ipad and my post don't always make sense. No problem. I'm honestly trying not to be aggressive.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,094 posts, read 99,210,314 times
Reputation: 31569
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Naw, I meant it wasn't that important. I'm on my ipad and my post don't always make sense. No problem. I'm honestly trying not to be aggressive.
Got it! And I wanted to answer your questions. I've gone on record as saying most of that stuff.
 
Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,173,716 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Last I heard 102+ cases in the USA and 7 in Canada. So far the relationship between the 7 in Canada is unclear, other than 6 being in Toronto and the other being someone who had recently been in Toronto several times. It looks as though governments are going to crack down on people who refuse vaccinations on religious and personal liberty grounds. In the last few days people who have opposed vaccinations claiming they cause serious health problems in some cases have been being stridently attacked. One example is Queen's University (Canada) professor Melody Torcolacci. So what's going on here? Is the outbreak a "natural" event, a bio-terror attack, or a black op? First we have an unprecedented ebola outbreak, then a complete fubar with the flu vaccine, now a rapidly worsening measels outbreak all within the last six months.
It has much less to do with "black ops" than it does dumb-as-rocks anti-vaxxers who seem to think Jenny McCarthy knows more about medicine than someone who has actually attended medical school.

FWIW, many students and peers of Queen's University professor Melody Torcolacci are calling for her ouster, claiming she is just another tin-foil hat wearing nutjob who shouldn't be standing in front of a classroom spouting paranoid nonsense. As such, she isn't exactly the glowing example of oppression she is making herself out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top