U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:50 PM

86,871 posts, read 102,258,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
unvacinated immigrants
Oh, puh-lease! We've been over and over this. Maybe from Europe, where the anti-vax/pro-disease movement is stronger than it is here. Maybe from some African countries. But from the western hemisphere? No.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:09 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,855,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
History is probably my favorite subject. I find it so much more interesting at times than I find law. My approach to law though is an unusual one. I had few classmates in law school that viewed law from a "historical perspective". I was always the one that did. One of my favorite quotations is from Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes of the U.S. Supreme Court who said: "The life of the law has not been logic, it has been experience." Holmes sums of my views very well. Its one thing to sit around and logically reason about a subject. Its another entirely, to live through some sort of calamity and always have that in the back of your mind. Such events are far more important in formulating law and policy than simply logic has been.

If you take a look at this link, you'll see its a Wikipedia article that describes the major epidemics of disease that have occurred through recorded history.

Americans were no strangers to epidemic disease. We've experienced epidemics of smallpox, measles, polio, yellow fever, and the flu. The Spanish Flu of 1918-1919 is estimated to have claimed 500,000 lives. More people died from the Spanish Flu in this country than died in World War I which had just preceded it. Holmes and other Supreme Court Justices who upheld the constitutionality of mandatory vaccination were undoubtedly moved, in part, by epidemics of disease they observed in their youth and adulthood.

Polio and influenza have taken many lives within just the last 100 years.

I submit that vaccination has done nothing less than alter the course of history for the better. As a history professor, I would hope that you would see that.

List of epidemics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For one, I am not opposed to vaccines. I know viruses can be deadly.
Second, awesome!!! I remember in my youth helping my father, who was a professor of Southwest history write a book solely devoted to that subject. He was my inspiration, if you enjoy that topic send me a pm and I'll give you the link for amazon where you can buy it.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't get why the fuss is being about vaccination. It was normal health practice, considered important for public health. Now in the last decade or so some reason some people stopped vaccinating. Just go back to vaccination being standard? What's the issue or difficulty?
First of all, there have always been people who were pro-disease. They didn't vaccinate. This goes back to Edward Jenner and the smallpox vaccine, in 1798. When the polio vaccine first came out, there was even some resistance to that. In the 1980s/90s, there was a lot of blowback about DPT vaccine. It supposedly caused Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, dandruff and God knows what else. Phil Donahue did a number of pro-disease shows. Parents would come on with severely brain-damaged kids, and claim their problems were caused by DTP. Tom Brokaw did some News Entertainment show about it, too. I wouldn't let him into my house after that! The new Hib vaccine for meningitis got a lot of bad press from the pro-diseasers when it first came out in the mid-80s. Then the former Dr. Andrew Wakefield (now MISTER) did a phony study on MMR vaccine and autism, because he was trying to develop his own measles vaccine so he had to discredit what was already in use. He got a lot of parents freaked. That was in 1998. Some parents of autistic kids took off on that theme, and blame all kinds of vaccines for autism. You'd read articles in parenting and other mags about kids becoming autistic in the car on the way home from an immunization. The internet has exacerbated this hysteria.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I don't get why the fuss is being about vaccination. It was normal health practice, considered important for public health. Now in the last decade or so some reason some people stopped vaccinating. Just go back to vaccination being standard? What's the issue or difficulty?
Historically, people have always feared injecting virus into their bodies, it's nothing new. We have steadily decreased these fears and the large majority vaccinate. Only small groups don't. It has come a long way, and the fear of vaccination is no where near what it was when the vaccines first came out. No worries.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
That's because most vaccines hadn't been invented yet. Measles vaccine was made 1963 or so. Polio vaccine around the 50s, etc. From what I heard from my mom, measles was a rather common childhood disease, similar to how chickenpox was for my generation. Now measles isn't
Yes, it is. You're correct, what's changed is public opinion and vaccination. That's because most people vaccinate now.
When there's no vaccine for it the doctor assures you most people are ok and when they get a vaccine for it it's more deadly than before.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-11-2015 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,973 posts, read 41,743,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yes, it is. You're correct, what's changed is public opinion and vaccination. That's because most people vaccinate now.
When there's no vaccine for it the doctor assures you most people are ok and when they get a vaccine for it it's more deadly than before.
Don't think that's true. There was just nothing that could be done about diseases pre-vaccine. Now we have the technology to prevent them

Old 02-11-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Don't think that's true. There was just nothing that could be done about diseases pre-vaccine. Now we have the technology to prevent them
You are asking some good questions and making some good points, nei.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:54 PM

Now for a little humor. Not that the pro-disease people will find this funny!
Reductress FLOWCHART: Should I Vaccinate My Child?
From Immunize Colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or