U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 AM

23,398 posts, read 28,234,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My g-grandparents lost a 20 year old daughter to a measles outbreak during the early days of the Civil War - the same outbreak led to the deaths of many young soldiers mustering at Fort Smith, Arkansas, not far from where my ancestral family lived. Great Aunt Tish, a young wife, left a toddler daughter who was also ill, but who survived - motherless.
I have people in my family tree who died from measles, too, including one several times great uncle who was a Confederate soldier.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 PM

9,182 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have people in my family tree who died from measles, too, including one several times great uncle who was a Confederate soldier.
Two out of three deaths during the Civil War were not from fighting. They were from disease.

We really forget how much vaccination and public health measures have changed the world in which we live.

All that has happened just in the last 150 years.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe...death-numbers/

Last edited by markg91359; 02-07-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 12:16 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Hmm. I have a great-grandfather who was a Union soldier, 26th Wisconsin infantry. He helped burn down Atlanta (not that that's something to be proud of). Just sayin'. He did not die of measles, but three of his kids died in three weeks from diphtheria.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:21 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,450,741 times
I was looking at my medical records recently and I noticed I did have a vaccine in my late 20's, ahead of having any kids, and noted rubella on it. Not sure if it was because I had no record of it from my childhood, if it was a booster, or if it somehow showed up in a blood test that I had no immunity. But there you go. I was born in 1958 and was on a modified vaccine program because of a health issue I had as an infant. I didn't get the small pox vax because of it.

I had the measles and mumps as a kid and the chicken pox in my 30's.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:50 PM

405 posts, read 471,937 times
I always hear the same illogical arguments against vaccinations.

1) Pharmaceutical companies make the vaccines, therefore we shouldn't take them

2) Polio is gone so why should we get vaccinated for it?

3) Who cares if my kids are vaccinated as long as yours are

4) The number of children diagnosed with autism has increased since the latest vaccines came on the market, therefore vaccines cause autism

I don't know if these people are anti-science or if they are taking confirmation bias to a new extreme, but I hope it doesn't take an epidemic to wake these people up.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:52 PM

22,259 posts, read 9,461,111 times
Some people are so overcome with bipartisan hate and cannot think clearly. They do not see shades of gray.

The anti-vaxxer movement: Uniting the tea party with limousine liberals - The Washington Post

Old 02-07-2015, 01:10 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,205,200 times
Then outbreaks should originate at places like Disneyland on a regular basis. Time will tell how it was really introduced, but I think many of us are rightfully skeptical about "official" pronouncements by the "experts" and government.

Quote:
The number of cases in an outbreak will depend on the population into which it is introduced. If that population is largely unvaccinated, there will be more cases. That is what happened at Disneyland: one outbreak, a large number of cases.
Actually given how contagious measels is said to be, the allegedly significant proportion of the population that is under- or unvaccinated, and our society's generally unrestricted and ease of mobility, continued increase should be the case.

Quote:
There is no reason to expect a linear relationship between the number of unvaccinated people and the number of cases. There were 17 outbreaks in the US in 2011, 11 in 2013, and 23 last year. In 2012, there were only a few outbreaks and 55 total cases.

If the initial case has contact with mostly vaccinated people, the outbreak will be small. If the initial case infects people who have contact with many unvaccinated people, the outbreak will be larger.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 PM

9,986 posts, read 16,655,709 times
I was born in the 40s and had the 'hard' measles. I was a healthy robust kid but was out of school for 3 months in the 3rd grade, one ear drained puss from my inner ear - almost lost hearing, and had significant weight loss. It took almost 5 months to regain my strength.

My kids got their shots on time. I would never risk measles when it can be prevented.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:40 PM

22,851 posts, read 19,286,589 times
Foreigners coming into the country illegally and bringing their germs with them, stupid people who don't get their children immunized with a DPT shot and measles vaccine. I, too, fully expect to see polio make a comeback.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:42 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,354,718 times
When I was a child in the late 40's and early 50's every kid, including me, caught measles and chicken pox. Way too many got polio. (One of the few things that really frightens me is visions of rank and file of kids in mechanical breathing tanks.) I was vaccinated with any vaccine that came along. What ever the schools didn't do the Navy did. I never got tuberculosis but test positive for it.

What is behind these minor (a real outbreak would be thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths) outbreaks of communicable disease is a mix of ignorance (these diseases no longer exist) and wishful thinking (my child will never be exposed) or pure foolishness. The result is a population that has become vulnerable to major epidemic of preventable disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or