Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:02 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I recently researched this because I have a grandson born with SCID and immunizations for the whole family are critical.

What I learned is that if you were born in 1957 or after you need to get a booster. If you were born before 1957, you are considered to be immune because

"People born before 1957 lived through several years of epidemic measles before the first measles vaccine was licensed. As a result, these people are very likely to have had the measles disease. Surveys suggest that 95% to 98% of those born before 1957 are immune to measles. Note: The "1957 rule" applies only to measles and mumps—it does NOT apply to rubella."

That's from the CDC. Down at the bottom of the page.

While surveys are suggestive, unfortunately, they are not scientifically sound. It's worth noting.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
illegal immigration of all those children a few months back. In other words, Obama!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Foreigners coming into the country illegally and bringing their germs with them, stupid people who don't get their children immunized with a DPT shot and measles vaccine. I, too, fully expect to see polio make a comeback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Wouldn't have anything to do with "the great one" opening up the southern borders to kids from Latin America?
Nope. CDC info on outbreaks in recent years (over the last decade, which is as far as I dug) tracks them to people from or visiting Europe (France in particular), India, the Philippines rather than Mexico or other countries south of the border - here legally, in other words. That speculation is just political posturing (at best - at worst, it's not too well disguised bigotry), which this topic deserves far better than.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:48 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
If vaccination is only PART of the equation, how do you account for measles being eradicated for the past few decades?
Being eliminated from the U.S. like my previous posts have stated doesn't mean we don't or won't get small outbreaks. We have them every year. It just means it won't spread as much.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-07-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
That is bs. ^^^^^^

See my last post.
No, you can look at my last 3 or 4 posts or do more googling to see what it means to have Measles eliminated from America, which it still is to this day regardless of small outbreaks, so don't worry.
This is what happens when people focus on a single piece of the pie. You need to look at the whole picture to see why we will still get outbreaks here in America regardless of it being eliminated. It's not because of anti vaxers. Anti vaxer haven't brought Measles back to America, it comes in from outward sources, anti vaxers just gives us more cases and they can help it spread in America.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-07-2015 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 05:05 PM

I will post this again for those who wonder:

Has measles been eliminated from the United States?

A: Yes. In 2000, the United States declared that measles was eliminated from this country. The United States was able to eliminate measles because it has a highly effective measles vaccine, a strong vaccination program that achieves high vaccine coverage in children and a strong public health system for detecting and responding to measles cases and outbreaks
If measles is eliminated, why do people still get it in the United States?

A: Every year, measles is brought into the United States by unvaccinated travelers (Americans or foreign visitors) who get measles while they are in other countries. They can spread measles to other people who are not protected against measles, which sometimes leads to outbreaks. This can occur in communities with unvaccinated people.

Most people in the United States are protected against measles through vaccination, so measles cases in the U.S. are uncommon compared to the number of cases before a vaccine was available. Since 2000, when measles was declared eliminated from the U.S., the annual number of people reported to have measles ranged from a low of 37 people in 2004 to a high of 644 people in 2014.
Measles | Frequently Asked Questions about Measles in U.S. | CDC

Old 02-07-2015, 05:23 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
What we have is children of the baby boomers who, for some reason, doubt authorities on the subject of the benefits of vaccinations. Babyboomers and their children were vaccinated ... all of them ... as standard practice in Canada. Many of those children have chosen vegetarianism, and other health conscious lifestyles.

A report was released in Nature magazine (since purged) linking autism to early childhood vaccinations. The "doctor" has since been held high as a fraud. After reading the article, health conscious moms became afraid to vaccinate their children. The measles was not eradicated, but it was not in westernized countries. Today, the measles is spreading in Canada, a westernized country, because children of the baby boomers have not been vaccinating their children. Those children are in high school ... the unvaccinated grandchildren of the 1960s ... vulnerable to a disease which was always present in other countries. Global migration opens possibilities of bringing the virus into Canada, and unvaccinated children becoming ill.

Didn't this current outbreak originate in Disneyland?

Last edited by Lieneke; 02-07-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 06:26 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
Maybe not the best example. Medical advances may have resulted in few deaths by disease/illness and wounds just fifty years later during the First World War, but science led to the industrialization of warfare and therefore death on an unprecedented scale. Proponents of science are always quick to point out the supposedly dire consequences of not submitting to science and modern medical practices, but conveniently ignore all the death, suffering, and misery caused by science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Two out of three deaths during the Civil War were not from fighting. They were from disease.

We really forget how much vaccination and public health measures have changed the world in which we live.

All that has happened just in the last 150 years.

The Civil War By the Numbers . Death and the Civil War . WGBH American Experience | PBS

Old 02-07-2015, 06:35 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nope. CDC info on outbreaks in recent years (over the last decade, which is as far as I dug) tracks them to people from or visiting Europe (France in particular), India, the Philippines rather than Mexico or other countries south of the border - here legally, in other words. That speculation is just political posturing (at best - at worst, it's not too well disguised bigotry), which this topic deserves far better than.
Or maybe the poster was just not aware of the CDC info you stated here. That would not make it political or bigoted, but it would say something about your response, being political or bigoted.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:39 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
Based on your earlier response California is positively overrun with the unvaccinated, but somehow now I'm supposed to believe that during the last 15 or so years only one such person has gone to Disneyland -- the of the USA's biggest tourist traps. This person must have sneezing and coughing at an astonishing rate the whole time, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Because of the luck of the draw. No one with measles happened to choose to go to Disneyland before. Next time it might be some other tourist destination.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, because Disneyland is in a part of the country that has a relatively high number of unvaccinated people. Local people go to theme parks, too.
Yes, I was just thinking about this today while riding in the car. (A good place to think, IMO.) Anyway, it's hardly surprising (to me) that the current outbreak happened at Disney. It's full of unvaccinated babies and partially vaccinated toddlers and preschoolers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Again only part of the picture. You seem to be fixated on the anti vax crowd for some reason. While they are in the equation there are other culprits we might miss if our direction in based solely on those who choose not to vaccinate. Like I said, outbreaks will still occur with 100% vax rate so thats not the only solution to keeping the rest of our population that cant vax from getting the Measles, and I believe thats the goal.
You know, California had a big pertussis outbreak in 2010. For three years, the health authorities there insisted the unvaccinated people in CA played little part in this epidemic. Finally, in 2013, research showed that the unvaccinated did contribute to the epidemic. My point? You can go on and on about other factors, but I'd bet the farm that when all is said and done, the unvaccinated will be found to have contributed to this outbreak too.
Nonmedical Vaccine Exemptions and Pertussis in California, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
Personally, I don't think vaccines should be mandatory. I do think children who aren't vaccinated for non-medical reasons should not be allowed in public school. Public health trumps.
Voluntary measures seldom work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events