Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,990,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So what about the religious? Do you think we should march into the Amish community and force vaccination? The pro vaxers that are encouraging parents to tell their doctors not to accept unvaccinated patients or they won't come, so they are now doing this because of money, do you think this is on the right track? Is this all part of it? What about the time you get them? Do you also have to stay on schedule?
And what about the adults? Do you also have to get your immunity checked as an adult and get boosters if you aren't immune anymore?

I understand the amish don't go to public schools and they usually have their own drs and communitys do they not ? they mainly stay to themselves and I don't know if amish believe in vaccines or not . I cant speak for the amish . I watched a medical show and they are saying that if adults had their shots in the 60s they are fine however before 1958 you should have your immunitys checked . I hope this answered some of your ?s

Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 AM

10,194 posts, read 6,256,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I understand the amish don't go to public schools and they usually have their own drs and communitys do they not ? they mainly stay to themselves and I don't know if amish believe in vaccines or not . I cant speak for the amish . I watched a medical show and they are saying that if adults had their shots in the 60s they are fine however before 1958 you should have your immunitys checked . I hope this answered some of your ?s
The majority of people born before 1957 actually had measles as children. It was a common as getting a cold (or flu) back then.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:32 AM

26,655 posts, read 13,635,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Do you know how many people actually follow Jenny's advice on vaccinating in America for their reasons to exclude any vaccines? Is it that large of an amount?
I don't know anyone who follows Jenny McCarthy or who looks to her for advice on vaccines. I'm starting to think that her role in all of this is to discredit people who question vaccines. I don't know a single person who has read any of her books or even cares about what she thinks. People just use her as an excuse to put down people who question vaccines. They make blanket assumptions that we are all so stupid that we just blindly follow a celebrity. Their assumptions are false for most people who question vaccines.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,990,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The majority of people born before 1957 actually had measles as children. It was a common as getting a cold (or flu) back then.

Thanks I thought that might have been the case . I remember my dad telling me that he had the measles as a kid .

Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,560,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
They sell to the public, and I thought they vaccinated but someone above said an outbreak happened with the Amish. Wondering about religious exemption. Yes, thank you for answering.
Some vaccinated didnt get immunity from the vaccine, while low so are the people who fear an Autism connection.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,738,296 times
As with all things science, you need to cut to the chase.. You aren't going to learn science from the media or politicians. You have to go to the source. You have to read the original studies, you have to do what scientists call a "literature survey" - go back through the scientific journals, following the cited references until you get to the papers that other scientists base their assumptions on. You read those papers, you determine the scope, you look at the raw data and you analyze the conclusions. Only then will you understand the subject.. It's pointless to latch on to things the media says or agencies that regurgitate political agendas. Don't pay attention to anybody's *opinion* of raw data.. Look at the raw data yourself : the *original* raw data, ie.. Follow the references to the source. I most cases this is 6+ levels deep.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:48 AM

26,655 posts, read 13,635,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
As with all things science, you need to cut to the chase.. You aren't going to learn science from the media or politicians. You have to go to the source. You have to read the original studies, you have to do what scientists call a "literature survey" - go back through the scientific journals, following the cited references until you get to the papers that other scientists base their assumptions on. You read those papers, you determine the scope, you look at the raw data and you analyze the conclusions. Only then will you understand the subject.. It's pointless to latch on to things the media says or agencies that regurgitate political agendas. Don't pay attention to anybody's *opinion* of raw data.. Look at the raw data yourself : the *original* raw data, ie.. Follow the references to the source. I most cases this is 6+ levels deep.

I agree.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 AM

14,339 posts, read 14,158,344 times
Quote:

An excellent point. I have been trying for a long time to get those who oppose vaccination to do exactly this. They could do the following things for me:

1. Produce a list of all reputable medical journal articles that oppose vaccination.*

2. Produce a list of all licensed medical doctors (either M.D. or D.O), along with their board certification, who oppose vaccination.**

3. Cite all published (and not retracted) scientific studies that show that a vaccine, or vaccines are either ineffective or harmful.***

* Articles printed in naturopathic journals or conspiratorial publications are not reputable medical journals.
** If your list of licensed doctors who oppose vaccination contains no other names than "Mercola" or "Wakefield" it doesn't qualify.
*** A scientific study is different than simply referring to anecdotal reports to VAERS. Scientific studies involve large groups, controls, and the use of statistical methodology to reach a conclusion.

Until those who oppose vaccination can do what I have described, their position cannot be described as anything other than relying on gossip, rumors, hearsay, and innuendo. No rational person should give it any credence.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,560,321 times
Quote:
I agree as well. But, the media and politicians shape how society feels. Women couldn't vote, we had slaves, no science behind either just public opinion.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:06 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,348,196 times
I wonder, if a child dies or becomes incapacitated in any way because of contracting the measles due to the fact that his or her parent thought the vaccine was a bad idea, what would that parent think of that "bad idea" as a result of their decision?

This disease killed and crippled kids. Anyone who was around during those years might remember that. I don't doubt that the vaccine can cause some type of reaction in some children but which risk is greater, getting this disease that can kill or maim or getting a vaccine that is not very likely at all to do any damage but will do a lot of good? I just don't get some people's reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events