Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 05:19 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times

Advertisements

Today in Marietta, GA (metro-Atlanta area), a 2014 2014 Chrysler Town and Country minivan drove onto the sidewalk and the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant. Investigators believe that the driver, Carol Shipley (age 67) was attempting to pull into a parking spot at the Buffalo Wild Wings on Barrett Parkway. The driver was not injured and will be facing charges.

Two people were taken to WellStar's Kennestone Hospital:
-22 year-old, Lindsey Terronez; an employee
-19 year-old William Barton; a student a Kennesaw State University (was in critical condition but didn't survive)

Source

What are your thoughts on the case? Do you think she shouldn't be held responsible because of her age (assuming no medical conditions)?

I do believe the driver should be held responsible. While I do not think 67 is "old"; I do think once someone retires they should be required to retest for their driver's license on an annual basis. This is because the folks that get up every day and do something are delaying any cognitive delays (as opposed to those who sit at home and watch TV all day).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:36 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I do believe the driver should be held responsible. While I do not think 67 is "old"; I do think once someone retires they should be required to retest for their driver's license on an annual basis. This is because the folks that get up every day and do something are delaying any cognitive delays (as opposed to those who sit at home and watch TV all day).
So what about unemployed 30-year olds?

As far as this case is concerned, could it be that this particular franchise just happened to put their drive-through sign in the wrong spot? Someone needs to check that...

Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, you have no idea what was going on with the driver. This might have nothing at all to do with age or employment status. It could well be that the driver was employed. What's that got to do with anything?

Wow. Just wow. Why don't you wait until the facts of the case are determined before labeling a 67-year-old as incompetent?

Old 02-08-2015, 09:20 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Age has nothing to do with it.

I think drivers need to be held more responsible for their actions than they are across the board. Eg, I was in a fatality accident where the driver who caused the accident was doing 100 mph on a provisional license with a car full of teenagers around midnight. No charges. I mean, it's an awful situation but really? No charges? You just killed someone. I'm not saying first degree homicide and try them as an adult, but there needs to be some criminal liability for doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events