Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:25 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
I will have to respond to Suzy Q later, as I do not have the time now.

However, I will briefly add a link here that relates to your comments, AksarbeN.

Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption by Marcia Angell | The New York Review of Books

This article was written by Dr. Marcia Angell (she also has a book or two). She is a former Editor in Chief for the New England Journal of Medicine, and is now a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I will take her credentials over anyone else on this forum.

This is an excellent article! If anyone would choose to read only one link on this thread, I wish it would be this one. If I could, I would copy and paste the whole thing. Barring that, here are a few quotes I will paste:

BAM!

POW!

OUCH!

(bold, mine). Just what lowly, nobody me has been talking about...

This literally makes me feel sick to my stomach...but, no worries, I'm sure there's a pill for that...

Lol you're quickly turning out to be one of my favorite posters on here

Keep up the concise, accurate & amazing posts--
It's a breath of fresh air on these types of threads......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:44 AM

78,343 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Also the unbelievable prices charged for medicine in the US compared to Canada or Mexico….. but that’s another story.
That's because those governments put price caps on the drugs to free-load off the US market that has to cover all the R&D costs.

FYI- this happens in the US insurance markets too from time to time where large, powerful states use their market share to bully low to no profit margins on products for their consumers which is politically advantageous for obvious reasons. Other states therefore provide a disproportionate amount of the profits to the insurers.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Must be true because some nut site printed it. I think it was aliens visitors.In fact I think aliens are viruses in life form. All predicted long ago in Sci Fi movies .

Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Must be true because some nut site printed it. I think it was aliens visitors.In fact I think aliens are viruses in life form. All predicted long ago in Sci Fi movies .
Aw, you must have a reading comprehension problem.....
Maybe you should have skipped a few vaccines.

Now try again to comprehend how deceptive these pharmaceutical companies are.....
This is from the last link he posted (And it's not from a "nut site")

The first court case, United States v. Merck & Co., stems from claims by two former Merck scientists that Merck "fraudulently misled the government and omitted, concealed, and adulterated material information regarding the efficacy of its mumps vaccine in violation of the FCA [False Claims Act]."

According to the whistleblowers' court documents, Merck's misconduct was far-ranging: It "failed to disclose that its mumps vaccine was not as effective as Merck represented, (ii) used improper testing techniques, (iii) manipulated testing methodology, (iv) abandoned undesirable test results, (v) falsified test data, (vi) failed to adequately investigate and report the diminished efficacy of its mumps vaccine, (vii) falsely verified that each manufacturing lot of mumps vaccine would be as effective as identified in the labeling, (viii) falsely certified the accuracy of applications filed with the FDA, (ix) falsely certified compliance with the terms of the CDC purchase contract, (x) engaged in the fraud and concealment describe herein for the purpose of illegally monopolizing the U.S. market for mumps vaccine, (xi) mislabeled, misbranded, and falsely certified its mumps vaccine, and (xii) engaged in the other acts described herein to conceal the diminished efficacy of the vaccine the government was purchasing."

Old 02-10-2015, 01:12 PM

185 posts, read 184,740 times
Bumping this thread so I can come back and read it to my heart's content. :-P

Any of you all out there in pharmaceuticals perhaps? Its a wild world, no?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:56 PM

520 posts, read 775,609 times
Booo. I clicked on the link thinking this thread would be about chicken, veal and/or eggplant.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
I will have to respond to Suzy Q later, as I do not have the time now.

However, I will briefly add a link here that relates to your comments, AksarbeN.

Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption by Marcia Angell | The New York Review of Books

This article was written by Dr. Marcia Angell (she also has a book or two). She is a former Editor in Chief for the New England Journal of Medicine, and is now a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I will take her credentials over anyone else on this forum.

This is an excellent article! If anyone would choose to read only one link on this thread, I wish it would be this one ...
I don't doubt that some of Dr. Angell's complaints about the pharmaceutical industry are true. Pushing unnecessary drugs on the public? Of course. Manipulating the price of drugs for their own financial success? No doubt. Lying about how they need to charge high prices or R&D would disappear? Probably. I would love to see them challenged and reined in by having their right to lobby the government eliminated.

But is there any publication where Dr. Angell makes a valid medical argument that people should not vaccinate their children? Plenty of bottled water is over-priced and a waste of money. Does that mean I should stop drinking water?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:16 PM

685 posts, read 720,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I am simply unable to find anything of value or truth in sources like naturalnews.com. Just because a group of Luddites puts up a web site doesn't make it true.
Welcome to the wild wild world of the internet. You're right. That's why I try to check out the sources of the posts. The misinformation, lying, and deception is what wrought a lot of pain.

I used to write and do many things on some internet mags. We cheated. If we started a new issue - like how do you feel about vitamins, we seeded the site with responses to draw people in. I've seen medical websites delete what they consider negative information. It made that website untrustworthy... sort of like the FDA.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
Veal or chicken?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Booo. I clicked on the link thinking this thread would be about chicken, veal and/or eggplant.
Yeah. When I read "Big Parma", I was thinking this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events