Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I am also in favor of some modest gun control. I think there should be universal background checks and a more thorough paper trail. If you're going to purchase a deadly weapon I see no problem making people wait a few more days and fill out some more paperwork. I generally approve of the post-Sandy Hook gun laws that Connecticut passed which mostly involve increased registration and an assault weapons ban.

I really don't get what the gun owners are afraid of.
This line of thinking will get you tarred and feathered and run off this thread on a rail. Nobody wants to hear about beefing up the NICS system or cleaning up the anarchy at gun shows (particularly in the Southwest).

You're up against people like Tamara, who desperately wants knives to be just as dangerous as guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Evel Knievel couldn't make that logical leap.
But Evel Knievel did carry a gun. LOL.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
I was right. The shooter was an ex-husband. He stormed into the house of his ex-wife, her boyfriend and children, shot the adults and wounded the kids, then shot himself.

I knew from the initial story this was not random.

Someone that deranged would have used any weapon.

5 die in Douglas: Teen pleaded with father to stop shooting | www.ajc.com
Douglas County shooter described as 'mysterious' man | www.ajc.com

Not long ago in my town, a domestic dispute turned into a swat appearance when a guy chased his wife down the street with a gun. I should have added domestic issues to drugs as the kinds of crime where guns are involved. This kind of thing had not happened in that town for 20 years according to the deputy interviewed.

Last edited by redguard57; 02-09-2015 at 03:21 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This line of thinking will get you tarred and feathered and run off this thread on a rail. Nobody wants to hear about beefing up the NICS system or cleaning up the anarchy at gun shows (particularly in the Southwest).

You're up against people like Tamara, who desperately wants knives to be just as dangerous as guns.
I know. Tightening up gun shows is something Connecticut did. They still have gun shows but now vendors have to have the equipment to run background checks. The horror. The only part of what Connecticut did that I disagree with was banning 20-round magazines, which I kind of like, although you can still have one in your home or on a range, you can just not go anywhere else with it loaded. I still find that reasonable.

People act as if that's 1984.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:27 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:

People act as if that's 1984.
You mean that people want it to be like 1984.

Americans (some of them) are the only people on the planet who gladly advocate for giving up rights. I chalk it up to lack of education myself.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You mean that people want it to be like 1984.

Americans (some of them) are the only people on the planet who gladly advocate for giving up rights. I chalk it up to lack of education myself.
While the 2nd amendment is a right in the constitution confirmed by the supreme court to apply to individuals, they also have clearly stated that it can be limited by state and federal governments, by a considerable amount if they wish.

Mass shootings need to stop. I'm a gun owner and I'm ashamed at the other gun owners who wrap themselves in the flag of the 2nd amendment in the wake of events like Newtown. Last year a kid at my local high school shot himself in front of his class. http://www.bendbulletin.com/localsta...cide?related=1

Another one at a high school 3 hours away from me shot a kid in the boys locker room and would have shot dozens if not stopped by a teacher, security guards and police. He had brought an AR-15, a handgun and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in 9 magazines stuffed in a guitar case. Had he not been stopped he could have shot dozens. http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/in...-reynolds.html

Kids, and none of us in a civilized country for that matter, should have to be subjected to someone committing suicide by gun in front of them, or to a heavily armed rampaging lunatic!

Again, I am ashamed at people who think this is okay and we should just tolerate it as a price of freedom with the 2nd amendment. No. It's unacceptable and intolerable.

Last edited by redguard57; 02-09-2015 at 04:27 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
...........Again, I am ashamed at people who think this is okay and we should just tolerate it as a price of freedom with the 2nd amendment. No. It's unacceptable and intolerable.
What do you suggest?

How far do you want to go to stop mass killings, be it shooting, arson, hydrogen sulfide, etc?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:27 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
People die in swimming pools too, let's ban 'em?
Man, your arguments aren't logic, because we're talking about guns only
I think you totally misunderstood the person you quoted:
They were saying that getting rid of guns is about as dumb as getting rid of cars that people have a license to drive yet kill another with - or with pools that people drown in.. .they weren't REALLY wanting or suggesting to get rid of pools...

Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
We do live a quasi-police state and the American military is the most powerful force in the world. You already gave up liberty for security. You honestly think some guns in the hands of average citizens and nuts is going to stop a tyrannical American government?
They can come and take my guns... But they're gonna get my ammo first! Multiple rounds at a time!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Why is this such a popular statement? The police/military would wipe out people who rebelled overnight. You are so far outgunned that there is literally no resistance you can put up to APCs, choppers, and tanks.

People act as if they have some secret military tactics and weapons training inside them that'll kick in all of the sudden. Just because you can shoot a defenseless deer doesn't mean you can stand half a chance against a trained killer with an assault rifle.
You don't think that people would hear about this kind of thing going down and then band together? I don't think you are appreciating the sheer number of citizens who would fight for their right to bear arms. Even if only 20 million of the 200+million gun owners did, police would get decimated. And there are no tanks or attack helicopters, that's military and the military wouldn't support a government who tried to legit disarm everybody (they swore to defend the constitution not the government). Lets not forget what a bunch of cave dwellers with AK's and home made IED's did to our military.

Most of the police wouldn't enforce it anyway. They all have friends who are responsible gun owners, they have families to go home to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events