U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 03:58 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,356,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As another poster alluded, considering that a truck is a component to how many people earn their living and put food on the family table, the desire to steal a truck and jeopardize a person's living is an excuse to get yourself shot.
Many more people rely on public transportation to get to work to make a living. Should a commuter be allowed to kill someone who impedes a bus or subway? After all, a momentary disruption is enough to kill someone if it's a truck.

Quote:
I don't feel sorry for the dead man at all. I just don't like how the brothers appear to have put other lives in danger.
If I were in their situation, I would have done the same thing by chasing after them while calling 911. Once I saw a gun, I would have disengaged and reported to 911 that they were armed and pointed a gun at me.
So they didn't do the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
Don't want to die? Don't steal someone's car.
Where does it end? Death for shoplifting? For totaling someone's car in an accident? For being discourteous?

Quote:
The brothers were NOT the thugs who stole the truck.
No, they were the thugs who chased after a man and shot him to death. Call me crazy, but in my book murder is worse than grand theft auto.

Quote:
What if they couldn't afford insurance?
Then they shouldn't have been driving. If they didn't have insurance then they broke the law every time they drove and put other people's well being at risk since they wouldn't be able to meet their financial burden should they cause an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Sorry, I disagree, you steal a truck, and are caught by the owner with a gun, they can expect to die, it is a chance they take.
You run the risk of death every time to get behind the wheel of a car. Should a man who runs you off the road and causes your death be given a free pass because driving is inherently risky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
There is a reason horse thieves were hung, they were stealing a mans means to feed his family, well a truck or car is the same thing. I know some are going to say, it's insured, let the insurance pay for it, well, not everyone has theft insurance, and even if they do, most times if you file a claim for a loss, YOUR RATES go up. So you get to pay for being robbed. Dead car thief, no insurance rate hike and on less useless pice of scum wasting air.
So an increased insurance bill is good enough to murder someone? Do I get to kill the CEO of the energy company when my bill goes up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 04:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,911,704 times
Quote:
If you don't want to be killed stealing the property of another person, don't steal.
You think killing someone is reasonable punishment for theft?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:08 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,462,455 times
It's their livelihood they need the truck to earn a living

Old 02-09-2015, 04:18 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,875,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The article linked by the OP said nothing about innocent.bystanders. It happened at 1am on a highway. So without knowing these details, you are making up another hypothetical example that has no bearing here.
Actually, it does. By condoning this behavior, it could set a precedent where we see this more often.

And who's to say there wasn't any foot traffic or cars passing by? I'm not sure if you're familiar with this city called Houston, it's kind of a big city, this wasn't a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. There will always be traffic of some kind in this city at all hours of the day/night. West Road alone has over 17,000 VPD.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 PM

30 posts, read 18,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Off hand, It looks like you missed this:
"Deputies told Channel 2 the case would be referred to a grand jury; as of Sunday morning no charges had been filed."
So, AFTER the Grand Jury has made a decision in the case, you can rant all you want (IF appropriate).
Until the Grand Jury has spoken, though, your rant is asinine.
A murder? Actually, I think it's too hyperbole to kill a person only for a car, unless because of accident.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 PM

3,194 posts, read 4,244,617 times
For those of you who think it's only a theft and the thief shouldn't have died, it's people like you who have bred a victim rich mentality in our society.

Why should the rights of the criminal outweigh those of the law abiding? I worked for my material possessions, what gives some criminal a "right" to steal it? Insurance? So my insurance pays out, I pay higher premiums and so do all the other law abiding citizens.

If criminals were punished more or punished permanently like this, it'd be a huge detractor in being a criminal.

Stop being a victim, you're letting the bad guys win.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,498,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

"I caught him messing with my car so I shot him!" (What if it turns out the guy was putting a flyer under the wiper? It's not a far stretch from point A to point B.)
You don't drive off in the vehicle while putting out fliers.

The guys did goof in the way they handled it. They let them get away before shooting at them, for one thing.

I know, lots of folks have a problem with shooting just a thief, who is stealing your car worth thousands. After all, you likely have insurance, that will cover it, and cause the rest of us to payer higher premiums. And the Police get paid to do that job, if they can get there on time, and if they ever find the car after its gone, and if ....and if......

After all those thoughts, I came up with my solution a while back a few years, that works for me. Don't let me catch you stealing my vehicles or anything from my home if you have expectations of seeing another Birthday. You just have to be sure its "self defense" since most crooks carry a gun that would be found at the scene.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:49 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,498,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
For those of you who think it's only a theft and the thief shouldn't have died, it's people like you who have bred a victim rich mentality in our society.

Why should the rights of the criminal outweigh those of the law abiding? I worked for my material possessions, what gives some criminal a "right" to steal it? Insurance? So my insurance pays out, I pay higher premiums and so do all the other law abiding citizens.

If criminals were punished more or punished permanently like this, it'd be a huge detractor in being a criminal.

Good point. Plus the savings in tax dollars, court trials, and no chance of a repeat offender.

"Bleeding Heart Justice" is what breeds criminals, and allows them to do it over and over again. The only Bleeding Heart Justice that works is a triple tap to the chest, and a real bleeding heart.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,356,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Do you think maybe a barbaric system of justice has bred extremist cultures in Africa and the Middle-East? You want America to be more like that.

Quote:
Why should the rights of the criminal outweigh those of the law abiding?
It's not one or the other. They don't have a right to steal your stuff, but you also don't have the right to kill them for stealing your your stuff, you maniac.

Quote:
I worked for my material possessions, what gives some criminal a "right" to steal it? Insurance? So my insurance pays out, I pay higher premiums and so do all the other law abiding citizens.
So move to Saudi Arabia, where theft is punished as harshly as you like. Oh wait, nope, they just cut off thieves' hands. I guess you're too barbaric for countries where women are stoned to death for driving cars.

Quote:
If thieves were murdered instead of prosecuted for theft America would also be a disgusting nation of monsters.

Quote:
Stop being a craven lunatic. You're letting evil win.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:35 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,176,860 times
I never expected this thread to turn into such a laugh riot. All these internet tough guys have me rolling on the floor. Every time I check back on the new posts, there's another bunch of keyboard commandoes barking about what they're gonna do to that damned mailman if he ever comes into their yard. This is funnier than hell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or