U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 06:15 AM

13,140 posts, read 7,393,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Last time I checked if you get caught stealing you get put in jail for a long time you do not get put on Death Row and killed so society has already decided that someone stealing does not equal being killed as punishment. Do you think it is just if an employer finds out an employee is stealing from the business and decides I am gonna shoot that person?
Yes, car theft is a felony because the person is stealing an item worth more than a certian amount of money, usually $1000. However, car theft is not a crime against another person, as homicide is. If the brothers wanted to hurt the thieves to prevent the theft from occurring, they should have shot him in a nonvital area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 AM

3,720 posts, read 1,667,677 times
Trucks are modern day horses..

Old 02-10-2015, 06:38 AM

15,574 posts, read 9,650,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Why do people care if their car is stolen?

That's why I have insurance.

Hell, I don't care if my house burns down, as long as my family gets out unharmed.

Is it really necessary to chase someone and start firing off rounds (I'm a gun owner, BTW) on a public street just to "teach them a lesson?"

That's just ridiculous.

"Things" are just that, THINGS. It makes no sense for me to put my life in danger (which is what the brothers did) to try to recover a stolen car or to teach the thieves a lesson.

It's an old TRUCK, morons. It's not like they kidnapped your child.

You are obviously the kind of guy who drives a Prius ! If you were a car nut, you would understand. If someone tried to steal one of my cars I would do whatever I could to stop them.

But the bigger point is, lots of us are sick of crime and criminals who get away with it. I am very sad over this story..........sad that the second thief got away alive !

Don

Old 02-10-2015, 06:57 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,127,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Many more people rely on public transportation to get to work to make a living. Should a commuter be allowed to kill someone who impedes a bus or subway? After all, a momentary disruption is enough to kill someone if it's a truck.
Wow, how clueless.

When someone disrupts the bus, another one comes by in 10 minutes.

Where do you live? I'd like to know what in which city when your truck gets stolen someone shows up with a replacement truck in 10 minutes. Please tell us where this magical land is located.

Quote:
So they didn't do the right thing.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying I, me personally, would have done something different.
That doesn't mean the brothers must do what I would have done.

Quote:
Where does it end? Death for shoplifting? For totaling someone's car in an accident? For being discourteous?
It ends when thugs don't try to STEAL something possibly disrupting the ability of a person to feed his family.

There are different consequences for different situations. Do you feel that a shoplifter should receive the same punishment as a person who steals a car at gun point?

Quote:
No, they were the thugs who chased after a man and shot him to death. Call me crazy, but in my book murder is worse than grand theft auto.
It was the CHOICE of the thieves to risk their lives to STEAL the potential livelihood of another.

Quote:
Then they shouldn't have been driving. If they didn't have insurance then they broke the law every time they drove and put other people's well being at risk since they wouldn't be able to meet their financial burden should they cause an accident.
Wow, you are so ignorant in regards to insurance. There is NO STATE, COUNTY OR CITY that requires you to have insurance for car theft if you drive. You have to have LIABILITY insurance that pays the damage you cause to others.

I guess you have it in your imaginary city were replacement trucks show up 10 minutes after yours is stolen.

Quote:
You run the risk of death every time to get behind the wheel of a car. Should a man who runs you off the road and causes your death be given a free pass because driving is inherently risky?
Logic has never crossed your path.

Quote:
So an increased insurance bill is good enough to murder someone? Do I get to kill the CEO of the energy company when my bill goes up?
If the CEO breaks into your home, points a gun at you as he's turning on all of your appliances, YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You think killing someone is reasonable punishment for theft?
No. But if someone is stealing your livelihood at gunpoint, yes.

Quote:
Why do people care if their car is stolen?

Hell, I don't care if my house burns down, as long as my family gets out unharmed.

What if they didn't have insurance on the truck because they couldn't afford full coverage?

Quote:
Is it really necessary to chase someone and start firing off rounds (I'm a gun owner, BTW) on a public street just to "teach them a lesson?"
It's not necessary to chase down the person who stole your car, but it is acceptable. It is not necessary to shoot someone who aims a gun at you, but I won't say someone can't defend themselves.

Do you think it should be illegal to pursue your stolen property?

Do you think it should be illegal to shoot someone who threatens you with a gun?

Quote:
"Things" are just that, THINGS. It makes no sense for me to put my life in danger (which is what the brothers did) to try to recover a stolen car or to teach the thieves a lesson.

It's an old TRUCK, morons. It's not like they kidnapped your child.
Just because you refuse to stop thieves that have endangered your ability to provide for your family doesn't mean that no one else should be allowed to safe guard their livelihood.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 AM

8,124 posts, read 5,697,149 times
The moral of this story is if you are a thief, or you a sympathetic to thieves, stay out of Texas.

Actually, we should use this as a litmus test for northerners who want to move here. Send them the article and if they still want to move, they are probably OK.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 AM

48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
If it were somebody breaking into his garage and stealing some power tools, that's one thing as it could be a more amature theif, a younger kid that is redeemable.

But no, this is a professional.

This is someone that is a career criminal and part of an organized crime ring where that truck is going to be sold south of the border or parted out.

They make their living doing this ALL THE TIME costing ALL of us in terms of auto rates, deductibles etc.

They're a pro, getting shot is a hazard of the job. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Let's post up the car thiefs rap sheet?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,473,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
hopefully the thug brothers will spend the remainder of their baby-making years in prison and unable to produce any other thug babies...am I doing this right?
I think if all those that think along these lines and want to help the situation then y'all should go park your cars in one of the more dangerous neighborhoods nearest your home with the keys left in the ignition thereby donating YOUR car to the dirtbags who think it's ok to take others stuff.
I mean, why not? You've either got great insurance or plenty of resources to replace the property right?

That way future loss of life could be prevented by those that just feel the need to take things from others.
See what I'm getting at?
Win-win right?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Trucks are modern day horses..
Yeeeeee-HA! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 AM

48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think if all those that think along these lines and want to help the situation then y'all should go park your cars in one of the more dangerous neighborhoods nearest your home with the keys left in the ignition thereby donating YOUR car to the dirtbags who think it's ok to take others stuff.
I mean, why not? You've either got great insurance or plenty of resources to replace the property right?

That way future loss of life could be prevented by those that just feel the need to take things from others.
See what I'm getting at?
Win-win right?
They should do it without insurance IMO. Let them eat the entire loss.

That 30,000 truck means they pay their $500 deductible and everyone else in their town pitches in to pay the 29,500 in increased insurance rates.

That's the piece everyone is missing.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,127,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Yeeeeee-HA! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!
I'm sure that is how a person who will always be a victim would see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or