U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 AM

78,149 posts, read 70,049,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You are obviously the kind of guy who drives a Prius ! If you were a car nut, you would understand. If someone tried to steal one of my cars I would do whatever I could to stop them.
I thought he had a point. Someone steals your truck, you get the insurance money, and go out and buy another fancy truck.

And btw, did the brothers ever file a police report? They'd have to, to get the insurance money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 AM

29,188 posts, read 15,340,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, the article said the thieves were chased to the area of West Road and a freeway. So it sounds like they were near a freeway entrance, but apparently they didn't get on the freeway. That wasn't entirely clear from the article. Still, anyone could have got caught in the crossfire.
Like I've said many times, I would have disengaged once I saw them pointing a gun at me; however, they had the right to protect themselves as they pursued their stolen property.

If a fleeing suspect points a gun at police, should the cops not be allowed to protect themselves by firing at the thief?

Quote:
Well, it will be interesting to see how the court case turns out. And now the accomplice has a grudge against them, and he knows where they live. Let's hope he doesn't decide to follow up.
My guess is the accomplice will try to distance himself as far as possible. If he is ever identified, he could be charged with murder.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I thought he had a point. Someone steals your truck, you get the insurance money, and go out and buy another fancy truck.

And btw, did the brothers ever file a police report? They'd have to, to get the insurance money.
How do you know they had theft insurance?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Uh, you mean the men and women who are trained and paid to act in such a situation?

Yeah, I'm okay with that.

And to the post that Ruth4Truth quoted, they were not in a desolate area. There is a good number of retail (Wal-Mart, Ross, Whataburger, etc) and residential properties in the area.
So only police should be allowed to defend themselves?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM

774 posts, read 939,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
It is most likely that they would eventually get their truck back eventually It is hard to hide a truck fromt the police. They might have another car or be able to get a ride for a while but no forgot that it is better that someone loses their life instead.
really ? My dad's truck was stolen 15 years ago, it has never been found. It was his retirement truck. 74 F-100, Perfect body and interior,custom graphics, running boards and rails, factory new engine and transmission, it was supposed to last him the rest of his life. 6 months after he retired it was stolen. Oh insurance "paid" for the truck, all the insurance paid for was a ratted out POS that we had to put a rebuilt engine into.

Stolen trucks and cars do not get returned, insurance does not cover your losses, and the insurance company does not lose money, you get to pay for claims with higher rates, along with everyone else. Think about how much rates might go down if there was no car or truck theft claims ?

Sorry, anybody caught stealing should be at risk of being shot, call it part of the hazards of being a thief. Don't want to risk being shot, don't steal, seems simple enough to me.

78,149 posts, read 70,049,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Like I've said many times, I would have disengaged once I saw them pointing a gun at me; however, they had the right to protect themselves as they pursued their stolen property.

If a fleeing suspect points a gun at police, should the cops not be allowed to protect themselves by firing at the thief?
No, they didn't have the right to protect themselves. They should have dropped back immediately (which the other driver expected them to do, clearly, since he didn't shoot), and could have continued to follow from a distance, staying on the phone with 911.

It's law enforcement's job to get the bad guys, so they have to be armed. It was not the brothers' job to take the law into their own hands. That's the part you're missing, here. Strange that you equate the two situations, and can't see the difference.

7,452 posts, read 7,995,527 times
Quote:
What if they couldn't afford insurance?
Lets see
you can't afford car insurance, but you can afford 2 Hand canons with bullets to shoot at would be Thief's

Quote:
With the laws in Texas, it could go either way.

If I were on the Grand Jury, I'd no-bill them. (Based on the limited information I've read at this point)
If i were on the Grand Jury i would send these two clowns to Jail for a little while. As gun owner myself, the last thing we need are, vigilante clowns making all us responsible gun owners look bad.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:12 AM

6,742 posts, read 4,111,260 times
Quote:
So only police should be allowed to defend themselves?

In certain situations when you are putting bystanders in danger, and when you are not TRAINED or MENTALLY EQUIPPED to handle a situation like police officers should be, then no, defer to the police. Your whatever that was stolen is not worth the life of some innocent bystander caught in the crossfire. End of discussion.

Some of you are so blinded by the 2nd amendment right, it really cuts off your ability to think logically and understand which situations are okay to reasonably defend yourself and when to defer to the proper authorities because the risk far outweighs the reward.

Sheesh.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 AM

14,589 posts, read 8,413,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
So, your saying that because someone stole my truck, and I file a claim with my insurance company that causes MY rates to go up because someone stole my truck, that if I catch them in the act, I have no right to defend my property ?
It is simple, the truck is mine, if someone tries to steal it, they will be dealt with with the harshest means possible, if they don't wish this, then the answer is easy, DON"T STEAL.
Negative. I hate car thieves as much as the next law abiding citizen. Car theft is a regular hobby for many people in this huge city, unfortunately. As a matter of fact, I've lived in Houston forever and a day, and when I was a young kid, my mother had one of her vehicles stolen THREE TIMES. That's right, three times. Somehow, we got it back twice. It finally ended up passing away by drowning in a shallow lake in Wyoming.

About ten years ago, my gf had her cool '74 Caprice Classic stolen right out of the Target parking lot while we were shopping for useless crap. We came outside and thought we were insane because we couldn't find the gigantic boat car. We searched all over the huge parking lot, over and over, until it finally dawned on us that some scumbag had made off with it. Nevertheless, you can't fire on these clowns if they're running away with your car, UNLESS they're firing at you. Did the other thief really fire at the brothers? That is the million dollar question

Old 02-10-2015, 11:58 AM

1,431 posts, read 708,045 times
After reading all the posts from the people defending the thief, I still don't feel bad for him simply because we have idiots in our society that think they can sue people that they rob.

5 Victims of Horrible Crimes (Who Got Sued by the Criminal) | Cracked.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or