U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2015, 12:59 PM
 
28,411 posts, read 14,149,034 times
Reputation: 19545

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Stealing a truck is no big deal. If you are so enamored with your truck you deserve to have it stolen.
Wow. Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 PM
 
7 posts, read 4,034 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
In the formerly sane world (in jurisdictions I am familiar with), this meant you are about to go to jail, as deadly force was not allowed to protect property.

These days with vengeance being the rule of the day, I'd say it now depends mostly on who the perps were and who the shooters are.
In Texas, it's legal to kill a thief stealing on your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,873,349 times
Reputation: 8522
To the people who need to Google search the definition of "Immediate" (you know who you are), this is a map of about where the incident took place and around where it ended.



From their subdivision into a dense retail corridor. Not immediate. Illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM
 
28,411 posts, read 14,149,034 times
Reputation: 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You said the truck was stolen at gunpoint. That was a blatant lie. You made up lies instead of arguing the facts.

Your reading comprehension is as wretched as your logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Second, the bothers did report that the thief in the suburban pointed a gun at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 PM
 
28,411 posts, read 14,149,034 times
Reputation: 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
To the people who need to Google search the definition of "Immediate" (you know who you are), this is a map of about where the incident took place and around where it ended.



From their subdivision into a dense retail corridor. Not immediate. Illegal.
That's about a 4 minute drive at regular speed. At high speed, probably 2 to 3 minutes.

Immediate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:13 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,355,398 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You should be allowed to speed through city streets, shooting wildly at vehicles on the road and face no consequences.
Wow. Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:15 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,355,398 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Your reading comprehension is as wretched as your logic.
You lied because your argument is illogical and based on nothing but your love of vengeance. The truck was not stolen at gunpoint, the brothers were never fired upon and we don't even know if the other driver even had a gun. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:16 PM
 
38,222 posts, read 15,339,527 times
Reputation: 16855
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
.

They did immediately go after them, however, when they shot and killed the thief, it wasn't an immediate action (shooting and killing the thief). The act of "chasing down" is not immediate. Not difficult to understand. If they chased these guys and at the time they shot and killed the thief was beyond an immediate action (which it appears to be), then they are no longer protected by law. What they did would be ILLEGAL.
Nah.

You are arm chair lawyering now with another hypothetical situation added for good measure. Your proclamation their actions were absolutely illegal has been proven to be absolutely wrong.

Let the Grand Jury decide whether or not they broke the law based on the actual facts and the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,873,349 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It comes right back to the ability to defend yourself.

I don't feel that anybody should only be allowed to defend themselves from a thug pointing a gun at them if they have specialized training.

If you feel that only people who can afford to go through such training should be allowed to defend themselves from someone pointing a gun at them, we'll have to agree to disagree.

You just continue to ignore the point. Unbelievable. It has nothing to do with the brothers not being able to defend themselves, and everything about them (or anyone in a similar situation) putting others at risk by their actions.

You act as if the thief had a gun aimed at the back of their heads. The responsible thing would have been to stop chasing after them and immediately call 911 and let them handle it.

NO ONE is saying you can't defend yourself if your life is in danger, but these guys' lives were NOT in danger AND they were putting innocent bystanders at risk. Two completely different situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
No one was hit.

There have been many times that innocent people have been struck by stray police fire. Should we disarm police to keep it from ever happening again?
You simply cannot grasp the concept that people who are not police officers should be chasing people down, shooting at their vehicle. Police officers don't go speeding down roadways after criminals firing rounds out of their cruiser. This isn't Grand Theft Auto.

Of course innocent lives are effected or taken by stray bullets from police shootouts, but at least those people are trained, equipped and paid to deal with those situations. By letting civilians take justice in their own hands, we'll see more of this and there will actually be innocent victims - will it be okay, then??

A 12 year-old was shot and killed by a stray bullet by some guy chasing after and shooting at a thief because he stole a vehicle from him, but hey, it's all good because the guy got his (totaled) vehicle back??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How much more immediate can be seeing the robbers take your truck?

Sorry, but most likely they will be no-billed due to Texas law.

The only way they will be indicted is if people allow their emotions to overrule the law. It's happened before.
Again. If they had shot and killed the thief WHEN they saw him steal the truck, that's one thing, but they CHASED AFTER him, entered a completely different part of the city with innocent bystanders. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,873,349 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That's about a 4 minute drive at regular speed. At high speed, probably 2 to 3 minutes.

Immediate.
At high speed? So not only were they chasing after someone, blasting off rounds in a public space, but they were speeding. And you're okay with that.

Un. Real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nah.

You are arm chair lawyering now with another hypothetical situation added for good measure. Your proclamation their actions were absolutely illegal has been proven to be absolutely wrong.

Let the Grand Jury decide whether or not they broke the law based on the actual facts and the law.
Next time you decide to quote Texas law, actually quote it correctly in full detail. FYI, below is a definition of what 'immediate' means. You're welcome.

Immediate(ly) - "occurring or done at once; instant." or "happening or done without delay"

You guys are brilliant. Hey, let's create a slippery slope, so something like this happens more often because people don't understand the definition of a word as basic as 'immediate'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top