U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 AM
 
48,972 posts, read 39,438,561 times
Reputation: 30628

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
The inability of people to separate the idea of a civilian being able to defend oneself with a gun and to defend oneself with a gun in a public space where they could be endangering innocent bystanders is pretty disturbing.

No one isn't saying you don't have a right to protect your property, but have some freakin' discretion before you start firing off rounds in retail and residential areas.

It's really that simple.
Quick question, when did the event occur? (Sometime after 1AM)

How many rounds were fired? (Don't know)

What distance? (Don't know)

What type of gun/bullet which is really important in terms of how far a stray round could travel and what it could go through like the wall of a house etc? (Don't know)

Frankly, without knowing all of this it's hard to come to an informed conclusion imo.

If they fired 2 rounds from a shotgun at close range to hit the tire and then the driver then that's A LOT different than spraying out 20+ rounds from an AR-15 from a block away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,875,367 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Quick question, when did the event occur? (Sometime after 1AM)

How many rounds were fired? (Don't know)

What distance? (Don't know)

What type of gun/bullet which is really important in terms of how far a stray round could travel and what it could go through like the wall of a house etc? (Don't know)

Frankly, without knowing all of this it's hard to come to an informed conclusion imo.

If they fired 2 rounds from a shotgun at close range to hit the tire and then the driver then that's A LOT different than spraying out 20+ rounds from an AR-15 from a block away.
The time doesn't matter - like I've said before, the area they were in was a dense retail corridor with establishments that stay open past 1AM including Wal-Mart and Whataburger.

And it doesn't just have to be an innocent bystander being shot, they could've been hit by one of the vehicles, especially if it's hit by bullets going at a high rate of speed.

It's just setting a dangerous precedent that will result in innocent lives lost in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM
 
48,972 posts, read 39,438,561 times
Reputation: 30628
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
The time doesn't matter - like I've said before, the area they were in was a dense retail corridor with establishments that stay open past 1AM including Wal-Mart and Whataburger.

And it doesn't just have to be an innocent bystander being shot, they could've been hit by one of the vehicles, especially if it's hit by bullets going at a high rate of speed.

It's just setting a dangerous precedent that will result in innocent lives lost in the future.
So, ixnay on getting more facts? I'm gonna have to differ on that approach.

I looked at the map someone put up and it looked like they were approaching a dense retail corridor.

However, holy cow, that stretch of road where it went down is desolate in the section where it appears to have gone down.

Have you google mapped it or do you know that road really well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Reputation: 17698
The comments on that article said they were returning fire. The plot thickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:31 AM
 
38,309 posts, read 15,359,817 times
Reputation: 16892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
The inability of people to separate the idea of a civilian being able to defend oneself with a gun and to defend oneself with a gun in a public space where they could be endangering innocent bystanders is pretty disturbing.

It's really that simple.
The inability of people to separate the idea of holding criminals responsible for crime and it's consequences to the safety to innocent bystanders, instead of blaming the victims for defending themselves and their property is pretty disturbing.

It's really that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 AM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,875,367 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, ixnay on getting more facts? I'm gonna have to differ on that approach.

I looked at the map someone put up and it looked like they were approaching a dense retail corridor.
Not at all, just have to be careful with what kind of precedent this could set. That's all.


And yeah, I posted that map. My brokerage team has an industrial listing up the road in that area, so I'm familiar with the surroundings. There's a Wal-Mart, couple gas stations, McDonald's and other retail places in that area. Could've been a pretty dangerous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 AM
 
38,309 posts, read 15,359,817 times
Reputation: 16892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
.... Could've been a pretty dangerous situation.
It became a dangerous situation when the criminal made the choice to steal that truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,875,367 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The inability of people to separate the idea of holding criminals responsible for crime instead of blaming the victims for defending themselves and their property is pretty disturbing.

It's really that simple.
Yeah.

Go find where I said the criminals aren't responsible for their actions or aren't just as at fault for what happened or could've happened that night. I dare you.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

You seem to not be able to understand (shocker) that sometimes the risk (endangering yourself, endangering others not associated with the crime) isn't worth the reward (retrieving a piece of property that ended up smashed up anyways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 AM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,875,367 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It became a dangerous situation when the criminal made the choice to steal that truck.
Exasperated by the assailant possibly shooting at the brothers and then the brothers returning gunfire while operating vehicles at a higher rate of speed from a residential area to a dense retail area.

Funny how you left that part out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 AM
 
38,309 posts, read 15,359,817 times
Reputation: 16892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Go find where I said the criminals aren't responsible for their actions or aren't just as at fault for what happened or could've happened that night. I dare you.
LOL. Of course you didn't say anything about the criminal while harping endlessly about the actions of the victims. That WAS the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top