Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Funny how you left that part out.
Nothing funny about it. You seek to blame the victims for this tragedy when it is the fault of the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Citizens should have the right:
1. To own property.
2. To defend their property.
3. To chase after their stolen property.
4. To defend themselves.

A cop has no more right to shoot at a thief who aims a gun at him than a citizen.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL. Of course you didn't say anything about the criminal while harping endlessly about the actions of the victims. That WAS the point.
Because the criminal involved in the incident is dead. No charges can be filed against him, nor will his case be heard by a grand jury since he's no longer alive. So what would be the point of talking about him?

Is that difficult to understand?

Quote:
Nothing funny about it. You seek to blame the victims for this tragedy when it is the fault of the criminals.
Nice deflection. You know know exactly what that expression means, you just can't argue the point, which is par for the course. You're telling me that if someone steals my wallet, I chase after them, they aim a gun at me, I shoot back at them and the bullet hits and kills an innocent bystander away from where the crime took place, I shouldn't be held responsible?

Just because someone stole something from you does not give you the right to break any and every law you please, especially outside of an immediate action.

And in your warped view, you associate any belief that these two should be held responsible for any and all illegal actions they committed as absolving the (dead) assailant of any responsibility and victim blaming. Only on C-D.

I talked to a friend last night at my gym who's a former Army Ranger, and has done secret service work for some of the most high profile political figures in this country and asked his opinion about this story. He said he more than likely would not have pulled the trigger on the criminals, even if it would've been within an immediate action (depending on the location), because the potential liability would outweigh getting whatever possession back that was stolen.

I hold his opinion a helluva lot higher than yours.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Because the criminal involved in the incident is dead. No charges can be filed against him, nor will his case be heard by a grand jury since he's no longer alive. So what would be the point of talking about him?
Dear Heart. There was more than one thief. LOL. Maybe you should stick to the facts instead of your hypothetical situations. This is nothing more than another distraction. Your personal anecdotes are irrelevant as you mistake me for someone who might be interested in your actions or the opinions of your "friends". I'm not.

This tragic event is the responsibility of the criminals whether dead or alive, not the victims. Fallacy, distractions, stories about army rangers "lol", insults, and hypothetical situations don't change that.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Dear Heart. There was more than one thief. LOL. Maybe you should stick to the facts instead of your hypothetical situations. This is nothing more than another distraction. Your personal anecdotes are irrelevant as you mistake me for someone who might be interested in your actions or the opinions of your "friends". I'm not.

This tragic event is the responsibility of the criminals whether dead or alive, not the victims. Fallacy, distractions, stories about army rangers "lol", insults, and hypothetical situations don't change that.
There were at least three thieves, but they were driving separate vehicles, in which one got away. If and when the others are caught, they will be prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law for their crimes, no one is debating that as much as you like putting words in people's mouth.

Here are some "facts" for you. Straight from the mouth of the Harris County Sheriff's Spokesman:

Quote:
"The sheriff's office never encourages anyone to chase down suspected criminals," he said. "We want people to dial 911 and let us handle it. Things can otherwise go tragically wrong. Innocent bystanders can be killed by stray bullets or crashing vehicles....I don't believe there were any casings or evidence of the weapons used by those in the Suburban or truck being fired," he said."

Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The comments on that article said they were returning fire. The plot thickens.
Yes, because as we all know, reader comments on articles are the place for breaking news.

Quote:
The inability of people to separate the idea of holding criminals responsible for crime and it's consequences to the safety to innocent bystanders, instead of blaming the victims for defending themselves and their property is pretty disturbing.
It's really that simple.
You can't seem to grasp that speeding through city streets while firing guns into traffic is dangerous, irresponsible behavior. If the thieves had done it you would be calling them animals for endangering the lives of others.
It's really that simple.

Quote:
You say the thief deserved to die and that you don't feel bad for him, but now it's a tragedy? Which is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Citizens should have the right:
1. To own property.
2. To defend their property.
3. To chase after their stolen property.
4. To defend themselves.
A cop has no more right to shoot at a thief who aims a gun at him than a citizen.
They didn't defend themselves. They shot and killed the thief who didn't point a gun at them. Why are all of you yokels ignoring this?

Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Can't believe there are people actually standing up for the thieves in this thread. Shows the ever going wussification of society and why crime is getting worse. Gee, I don't see why a good stern talking to is not deterring crime. let me guess, instead of shooting this POS thief, he needed a hug? give me a break. You steal someone's property, you deserve whatever you get.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:50 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Yes, because as we all know, reader comments on articles are the place for breaking news.

You can't seem to grasp that speeding through city streets while firing guns into traffic is dangerous, irresponsible behavior. If the thieves had done it you would be calling them animals for endangering the lives of others.
It's really that simple.

You say the thief deserved to die and that you don't feel bad for him, but now it's a tragedy? Which is it?

They didn't defend themselves. They shot and killed the thief who didn't point a gun at them. Why are all of you yokels ignoring this?
Right, because YOU were there. They'll probably pick you first in jury selection.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:08 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Can't believe there are people actually standing up for the thieves in this thread. Shows the ever going wussification of society and why crime is getting worse. Gee, I don't see why a good stern talking to is not deterring crime. let me guess, instead of shooting this POS thief, he needed a hug? give me a break. You steal someone's property, you deserve whatever you get.
Find me one post in this thread that says the thieves did nothing wrong. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Right, because YOU were there. They'll probably pick you first in jury selection.
I don't need to have been there to read the damn article. The thief in the other car pointed the gun at them, not the thief in the truck.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
You obviously haven't read a single post in this thread if you came to this conclusion.

NO ONE is standing up for the thieves, the concern is for any innocent bystanders/motorists who become victims because of the actions of everyone involved, including the brothers. The other thieves when caught will be prosecuted, that's not up for debate. The discussion is did what these two brothers based on current evidence endanger others around and break several laws, including reckless endangerment and killing someone outside of an immediate area of where the crime was committed.

What in the world is so difficult for people to understand about that?

Quote:
"The sheriff's office never encourages anyone to chase down suspected criminals," he said. "We want people to dial 911 and let us handle it. Things can otherwise go tragically wrong. Innocent bystanders can be killed by stray bullets or crashing vehicles."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events