U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 07:27 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,127,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Sure. You're not a liar in the same way Richard Nixon wasn't a crook.
You're so boring. If you're going to keep droning on, at least make it somewhat entertaining.

BTW, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings to the point that you now seem to obsess over me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,155,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I watched this on my local news tonight. A car thief was in the process of stealing a truck with the help of an accomplice in another vehicle. When he started the truck up the alarm went off, the truck's owner and his brother heard the alarm, and came outside. They followed him and shot the car thief, killing him. An accomplice escaped in another vehicle. I'm not sure how I feel about the brothers' actions toward the thief. What are your thoughts?

Brothers chase down car thieves, shoot & kill 1 suspect | News - Home
My thought is that if the thief hadn't degenerated to stealing other people's possessions, he wouldn't have suffered the gunshots that killed him. The brothers did society a great favor by saving the taxpayers a costly trial and incarceration that most likely would never have changed the thief's behavior in the future.

Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for criminals who take a bullet in the course of committing crimes. Society is far better without them, IMHO.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I didn't ask if they have the right. I ask if it is reasonable to do that.
For some people, it might be reasonable.

Let's say you have a man who has gone through some tough financial times. He is truly on the brink of losing his home. Let's say he does work that requires him to have a truck, we'll go with him building residential fences. If someone were to steal his truck, it could literally mean that he and his family will be out on the streets. I could say that it is reasonable for him to shoot a thief to avoid having his truck stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would it ricochet and kill the thief if the thief is inside the car, starting the engine in preparation to abscond with the car?
What is the floor pan of a car made out of? Do you think it has a Kevlar lining or something?

Do you know how people in the movies hide behind car doors in a shootout on tv? Well, you might not know this, but many bullets will pass right through that door. A bullet ricocheting off of the concrete can also pass right through the bottom of the car and into a person, even the driver, on the inside of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're worried about someone getting charged with intentional maiming, but you're not worried about him getting charged with intentional manslaughter?
I'm not worried about either. I'm simply letting you know the law.

In Texas, if you shoot a person in the leg on purpose, even a thief, you can be charged with intentional maiming.

In Texas, if you fire a "warning shot", and it kills the person you are trying to warn, you will most likely be charged with manslaughter at the least.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:36 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,868,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It is this simple. Someone is in the process of stealing your car, you see them doing it. They do not point a weapon at you, they don't physically assault you. Do you feel it is reasonable to kill them?

Stealing a car is violence against whose body?
You are talking about two completely separate issues with laws handling each. This is about defending property. Under the law, it's reasonable to use lethal force.

Note that the law does not require the use of deadly force. A victim of car theft has the opportunity to decide for himself or herself, whether lesser force, or any force is reasonable, given their interpretation of the circumstances, or any reason valid to them, or even no reason at all.

Car thieves, employed in illegal cottage enterprise of stealing property that can be protected with lethal force, are at high risk of getting dead in some states. That is the bottom line. As thieves, they should be aware that their enterprises might essentially be forms of suicide.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:33 AM

20,984 posts, read 10,622,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Great. So they're driving down the freeway firing off rounds out the window, in the general direction of a truck that's weaving down the road at a high rate of speed. What a couple of Einsteins. Yeah, let's give them a big cheer and a pat on the back.

And then when the stolen truck is wrecked, they pull up alongside of it and squeeze off more rounds into the truck, even though the thief was apparently not firing back at them. That's murder.

But see, that's OK. Because the law sometimes doesn't work out the way we want it to, so that makes it alright for those of us who respect the law to ignore it and break it whenever we want to, right? Because we're law-abiding citizens, right? So we get to do that, I guess.

Is that the way the logic here works, or am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing something. In Texas you are allowed to use neccesary force to stop a thief stealing your property. No law was broken. This ain't NY where the brothers would had to have said "Pretty please, can I have my truck back?".

Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
So, death penalty for auto theft without a jury trial? Saudis look more civilized than you.
Should there be a death penalty for rape?

Old 02-13-2015, 12:50 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,284,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Used to be, you stole someone's horse, you got hung. Should be the same for cars. I think we spend too much money feeding and housing scum who aren't going to stop ripping people off......
Do you understand that the reason horse thieves were hung is because horses were lifelines to civilization and if you were stranded out in the wilds without food, water, and shelter and you had no way to get a town or a homestead, the odds were very high that you would die?

By stealing a person's horse, you were quite possibly condemning them to a death sentence.

So, in turn, horse thieves received the same punishment they gave - a death sentence.

Today, there are virtually no circumstances under which stealing a person's car would be tantamount to sentencing them to death.

Thus, the death penalty for auto theft is cruel and unusual punishment and inexcusably unjust.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:52 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,995,834 times
The entire incident is deplorable, but I must begrudgingly agree that private citizens should be afforded the right to protect their safety and in some cases their property with lethal force.

Speaking of this incident in particular....in some cases the loss of a vehicle might deprive someone of their livelihood or ability to support themselves or their family.

All things, considered a car isn't worth someone's life.... but that is a calculation that should be incumbent upon the would-be-thief to make before they attempt to illegally deprive someone of their property.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Do you understand that the reason horse thieves were hung is because horses were lifelines to civilization and if you were stranded out in the wilds without food, water, and shelter and you had no way to get a town or a homestead, the odds were very high that you would die?

By stealing a person's horse, you were quite possibly condemning them to a death sentence.

So, in turn, horse thieves received the same punishment they gave - a death sentence.

Today, there are virtually no circumstances under which stealing a person's car would be tantamount to sentencing them to death.

Thus, the death penalty for auto theft is cruel and unusual punishment and inexcusably unjust.
Is it your contention that horse thieves were only hung when they stole a horse in the middle of nowhere?

If they stole your horse while you were in town, would they have never been hung?

If they stole one of your twelve horses from your ranch, would they have never been hung?

They were hung due to the horse's importance to earn a livelihood for so many.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:57 PM

No one is stating that the state should enact the death penalty for car thieves.

People should, and do, with limited qualifications, in Texas, have the right to do whatever is neccesary to stop a thief from taking their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or