U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 AM

282 posts, read 324,457 times

Advertisements

man, sounds like we need a new nonlethal weapon to render an attacker helpless that is just like a gun except not deadly or even harmful. That will take out the attacker allowing you to bind and gag him or her until the cops get there.

A needless death just because the moron wanted to steal a truck. It wasn't worth his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,634,355 times
well I have little sympathy for a theif nor his kind sorry but you did ask how we felt .

Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 AM

13,139 posts, read 7,387,994 times
I heard some conflicting information about this. When we watched the news last night, the newscaster said one of the thieves pointed a gun at the brothers before he took off in the Suburban. If that's the case, then deadly force is acceptable, IMO. However, if the thieves were just stealing the truck, I don't think using deadly force was acceptable. I believe in the right to keep firearms to protect myself and my home. I own a few guns myself. But if the thieves were not threatening the lives of the brothers, killing the thieves seems excessive to me. Sure, the guys shouldn't have stolen the truck, but that's when you're supposed to call the cops.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 AM

38,060 posts, read 15,286,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post

A needless death just because the moron wanted to steal a truck. It wasn't worth his life.
The moron is dead because of choices he made. Don't blame the victim or the weapon he used.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:26 AM

8,989 posts, read 7,076,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Mmm... uhh... no, I didn't miss that. That was quite clear.

What is not clear is what that has to do with anything I said. So I have no idea what point you think you're making.
If you don't see it, there certainly is no use in me trying to explain it.
so, just ignore my post.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:31 AM

3,558 posts, read 4,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I heard some conflicting information about this. When we watched the news last night, the newscaster said one of the thieves pointed a gun at the brothers before he took off in the Suburban. If that's the case, then deadly force is acceptable, IMO. However, if the thieves were just stealing the truck, I don't think using deadly force was acceptable. I believe in the right to keep firearms to protect myself and my home. I own a few guns myself. But if the thieves were not threatening the lives of the brothers, killing the thieves seems excessive to me. Sure, the guys shouldn't have stolen the truck, but that's when you're supposed to call the cops.
This..

If the thieves did indeed endanger is life then by all means, shoot away. However simply stealing is not worth killing over..

Where does it end? Someone steals your daughters bike from your front yard, do you shoot them to?

I'm all for using deadly force when life is at risk, but unless that's the case, then no.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,121,819 times
Well...item number one is "Texas". That gives you a discount on smarts right there.

It feels good...the bad guy got what was coming to him.

But, the senseless nature of driving down a highway blasting away at a moving target? I give you item number one: Texas.

Maybe a more sane solution would have been to follow the vehicle while alerting the police via cell phone to intercept the perpetrator.

At the end of the day "The Brothers" are going to be indicted for murder/manslaughter. Kind of destroys the 'feel good' factor, doesn't it?

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM

8,124 posts, read 5,694,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There are police who are paid to do this on our behalf. We have a district attorney who prosecutes cases on our behalf.
The problem is that in many jurisdictions, the police don't spend much time on property crimes. The attitude is "file a report". So there isn't any realistic in-system resource for rectifying situations like this. Vigilantism a sign that the criminal justice system isn't functioning properly and that people don't trust it.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Hmmm. I can't say that I feel any sympathy for the perps in the sense that they knew that their activities are high risk, where one can end up hurt, in jail, or dead. Having said that, would I have chased them down and shot them? No probably not, since I'd run the risk of endangering others in doing so. The only way I could see doing that is if they kidnapped my wife or kid. On the other hand, break into my home, and there is a good chance I'm going to do what I have to do to eliminate the threat.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM

5,362 posts, read 6,042,713 times
I live in Texas, my late father was a member of the NRA. I own a couple of guns myself and would use them only if I have to. In this particular case, I think those brothers had the right to protect their property, but leave the chasing and shooting off land property to the police. They are not trained to go guns blazing down the street and could put others in danger. For those of you that are supporting this kind of action, how would you feel if your child was shot accidently because some guy was randomly firing at someone stealing his property?

I don't think these brothers are George Zimmerman types with an urge to use a gun. They were just protecting their property and got a little overzealous doing so.

For those of you that are stereotyping Texas, get over yourself. We are not all alpha males with small wieners, big guns and diesel trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or