Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 08:39 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Why do people care if their car is stolen?

That's why I have insurance.

Is it really necessary to chase someone and start firing off rounds (I'm a gun owner, BTW) on a public street just to "teach them a lesson?"

That's just ridiculous.

"Things" are just that, THINGS. It makes no sense for me to put my life in danger (which is what the brothers did) to try to recover a stolen car or to teach the thieves a lesson.

It's an old TRUCK, morons. It's not like they kidnapped your child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You are obviously the kind of guy who drives a Prius ! If you were a car nut, you would understand. If someone tried to steal one of my cars I would do whatever I could to stop them.

Don
LMAO. If the thieves were burglars, had broken into the brothers' apartment to steal something, and the brothers walked in while the burglary was in progress, the brothers can shoot them because they were inside the brothers' domicile. If the thieves broke into the apartment for whatever reason and the brothers were inside, the brothers can shoot them also. But they can't shoot thieves attempting to drive away the truck they stole from them, unless they make the defense that the escaped thief pulled a gun, which is what at least one news show has said they are telling the cops now. Whether the thief actually pulled a gun on them or not, it's a brilliant claim for them to make to avoid prosecution because it can't be proven otherwise. The getaway thief sure isn't going to show his face now. He has nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Any witnesses will probably side with the brothers, or will go with the classic "I didn't see anything" defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I drive a Prius and would do whatever I had to in order to stop someone from stealing it!

Protected by Glock.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:13 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You don't get to make up facts to suit your twisted, childish worldview. The truck was not stolen at gunpoint. The thieves were not threatening the lives of the truck's owner or his brother. Get a clue and grow up.

Last edited by Marka; 02-12-2015 at 03:40 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You don't get to make up facts to suit your twisted, childish worldview. The truck was not stolen at gunpoint. The thieves were not threatening the lives of the truck's owner or his brother. Get a clue and grow up.
Two things.

First, don't make up quotes with my name on them.

Second, the bothers did report that the thief in the suburban pointed a gun at them.

Sheriffs investigate brothers who killed suspected truck thief - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
They chased them for about two miles, while dialing 911, until the brothers said they noticed one of two men in the Suburban pointing a gun toward them.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The pointless sarcasm about Houston being a "big city" and dirt roads is unnecessary. It demonstrates your intent to discredit instead of discuss. And to that discussion, your hypotheticals have nothing to do with the specifics of this particular event.
LOL. You can try to downplay it all you want, FACT is all it takes is one person to be driving by or walking down the street for for these two to be considered putting other lives at risk. It doesn't matter if it's 1am, there's a 24-hour Wal-Mart nearby, a Whataburger nearby, people driving home from a night out, etc.

It's not a hypothetical situation when there were and are people actually commuting through and living by this area.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
LOL. You can try to downplay it all you want, FACT is all it takes is one person to be driving by or walking down the street for for these two to be considered putting other lives at risk. It doesn't matter if it's 1am, there's a 24-hour Wal-Mart nearby, a Whataburger nearby, people driving home from a night out, etc.

It's not a hypothetical situation when there were and are people actually commuting through and living by this area.
Should we also not allow police to shoot at suspects who aim a gun at them if it occurs in a public place?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Just to clarify something, they were never on the freeway. It's very possible the area they were in at that point was somewhat desolate.

Don't get me wrong, I think they should not have shot at them, but they were NOT heading down a busy freeway.
OK, the article said the thieves were chased to the area of West Road and a freeway. So it sounds like they were near a freeway entrance, but apparently they didn't get on the freeway. That wasn't entirely clear from the article. Still, anyone could have got caught in the crossfire.

Well, it will be interesting to see how the court case turns out. And now the accomplice has a grudge against them, and he knows where they live. Let's hope he doesn't decide to follow up.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Should we also not allow police to shoot at suspects who aim a gun at them if it occurs in a public place?

Uh, you mean the men and women who are trained and paid to act in such a situation?

Yeah, I'm okay with that.

And to the post that Ruth4Truth quoted, they were not in a desolate area. There is a good number of retail (Wal-Mart, Ross, Whataburger, etc) and residential properties in the area.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 AM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Many more people rely on public transportation to get to work to make a living. Should a commuter be allowed to kill someone who impedes a bus or subway? After all, a momentary disruption is enough to kill someone if it's a truck.

So they didn't do the right thing.

Where does it end? Death for shoplifting? For totaling someone's car in an accident? For being discourteous?

No, they were the thugs who chased after a man and shot him to death. Call me crazy, but in my book murder is worse than grand theft auto.

Then they shouldn't have been driving. If they didn't have insurance then they broke the law every time they drove and put other people's well being at risk since they wouldn't be able to meet their financial burden should they cause an accident.

You run the risk of death every time to get behind the wheel of a car. Should a man who runs you off the road and causes your death be given a free pass because driving is inherently risky?

So an increased insurance bill is good enough to murder someone? Do I get to kill the CEO of the energy company when my bill goes up?
So, your saying that because someone stole my truck, and I file a claim with my insurance company that causes MY rates to go up because someone stole my truck, that if I catch them in the act, I have no right to defend my property ?
It is simple, the truck is mine, if someone tries to steal it, they will be dealt with with the harshest means possible, if they don't wish this, then the answer is easy, DON"T STEAL.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think now days shootings often show that people are changing as to what they see as justification themselves. Its like any other rule of law; more and more we see people justifying their actions by what they personally believe. Its the consequences of not enforcing the rule of law now days. I don't see why anyone is surprised by this ;its just the other side of the same coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events