U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,939,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
... Why is this guy still even invited to the Grammys? Why is he even there? ...
That's a very easy question to answer with facts and not opinions:

1. He's sold more than 21 million albums and 66 million digital downloads, making him one of the best selling musical artists in the world.
2. He has won a total of 21 Grammy Awards in his career.3. Three of his albums are on Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2012 version).
4. Two of his albums ranked in the Top 100 of sales for 2014.
5. He owns his own successful record label.
6. He is currently working with Paul McCartney.
7. He was on Time magazine's list of 100 Most Influential People in the World.

Personally, I'm not a fan of his music or his wife. And I think he generally behaves like a braying jacka$$. But so did Pablo Picasso, Norman Mailer, and Wolfgang Mozart, for just a few examples of artists behaving badly in public. Kanye West is, in fact, a very relevant and popular artist of our time. Like him or not, if anyone deserves a seat at the Grammy Awards, he does, since it basically honors $ALES of music.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 PM

107 posts, read 95,630 times
When Kanye went up on the stage as a joke it was hilarious and the best moment of the night (grammys are boring especially this year).

When he ranted on it later I didn't fully agree with his comments (Beyonce album was my personal favourite but Beck is just as deserving) however his overall comments about the grammys are absolutely correct. It's just a racially segregated RIAA marketing facade. It deserves all the disrespect it gets.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:50 PM

894 posts, read 799,345 times
If the Grammies are so racist, how did Kanye manage to rack up 21 of them? And doesn't Beyoncé have 19 herself? Yeah total racism.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:59 PM

107 posts, read 95,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
If the Grammies are so racist, how did Kanye manage to rack up 21 of them? And doesn't Beyoncé have 19 herself? Yeah total racism.

They almost always only win in categories "reserved" for black artists.

The "R&B" category really has nothing to do with "R&B" (hence why there is separate category for "traditional R&B"), it's where black pop artists are "allowed" to win awards. It's rare to see anyone who isn't white win any of the other awards (there have been occasional exceptions like Outkast winning album of the year in 2004, or Pharell taking one home this year). Similarly, Latino artists only win in "Latino pop" categories and the like. Other groups have even less representation in the absence of such categories. It's not even that they're actively racist, it's just the winners of the big awards tend to have more to do with a safer image (which includes but is not limited to racial undertones) than they do with actual musical quality, hence how Macklemore beat Kendrick last year despite good kid mad city already being almost like a modern classic in hip-hop, and how Sam Smith won almost everything he was nominated for.

Of course with performances and all that they create an image of inclusiveness of all groups, but the awards themselves show a different trend. It's not just a race thing; the grammys just really does not respect art, as Kanye says, and merely feeds off of public perception to make money. That RIAA run grammy alliance bs was hilarious to watch lol.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,485,438 times
Just a publicity stunt, in my opinion. Kanye's obnoxiousness is part of his persona.

Not that I don't think he's genuinely obnoxious. Even putting on such an act in itself is obnoxious behavior.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 AM

750 posts, read 606,793 times
I cannot believe people let celebrities actions affect their life so much.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 AM

23,957 posts, read 31,176,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
I cannot believe people let celebrities actions affect their life so much.
Making a comment on a forum, regarding the abominable behavior of a celebrity, or anyone else for that matter, certainly does not mean that those actions have "affected one's life".

Old 02-12-2015, 10:03 AM

30,520 posts, read 9,123,268 times
I think it's worth noting that KW, in clarifying his actions and subsequent remarks, had some very nice things to say on Ryan Seacrest's radio show about Beck.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 AM

244 posts, read 181,773 times
Kanye's music? Eh, I've heard it just enough times to know that I couldn't care less if I never hear it again. It would be just lovely, however, if he kept his hard-on for Beyonce in his pants where it belongs.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 AM

46 posts, read 62,333 times
I'm lost, did Ryan Seacrest interview Kanye West or Truman Capote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or