Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM

21,462 posts, read 10,564,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Beck also said Kanye was a genius. Soooo.... Again I and several others had never heard of Beck before this week. I don't think not knowing who he is means he isn't talented. I can't comment on how he is as an artist but I'm sure he is talented too, his name isn't as main stream IMO. Not a bad thing.
You should listen to some of Beck's old stuff. I don't know what they call it, but it's pretty funky and cool. You might enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
And this is what is wrong with society. Because YOU prefer Beyoncé over Taylor Swift, she should not have won and Kayne had great balls to go onstage and tell it like it is. I say that's nuts. I don't like half the crap that is nominated for these awards, but I would never, ever go onstage or even later on camera and say the Grammy's don't reward artistry when the other people are also artists.

Taste is subjective. You like Beyoncé's music over Taylor Swift and Beck. I feel the opposite. If you don't agree with the voting on the Grammy's, then I suggest you do as I have done for the last 30 years and not watch it.

Don't honor someone who shows no class by going on stage to complain that someone he doesn't like winning an award over someone he does like. I do think it's tacky, and also done to get his name all over the news. It's the Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Kanye West idea that any publicity is good publicity, but it can eventually ruin careers. The public gets tired of it.

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw your other posts and realized you understand all this. I just hate the swag mentality and how people honor others for being rude because its "honest." What it means is it's only honest to him and people who agree with his tastes. It's not honest to others and to openly say that one is not an artist because he doesn't care for his music is not honest, it's stupid.
Yep at the time I didn't think Taylor was talented. It was my opinion, and I agreed with Kanye. I thought that at the time Beyonce was more talented and had been in the industry performing for so long that she had established her name and should have earned an award. Taylor has since established herself in the industry and while I'm not fond of her music I do think she has talent NOW. And I think Beyonce is still talented but I haven't enjoyed her music lately. I'm not a part of the beeHive that worships beyonce. I loved kanye when he first came out and up until his mom died then I'm stopped being a fan of his because his music went downhill. Currently my favorite artists aren't in either genre (R&B or Hip hop), I appreciate good music and those are the artists I will support-good artists. I'm not familiar with Beck, so I don't know his music or why kanye snubbed him. But what I know about Kanye is that he isn't one to keep his opinions to himself and he speaks up and says what's on his mind. Sometimes he's right sometimes his opinions are wrong. He doesn't censor himself and people hate that about him. But it's him. I know people irl like him that are just as nfg as he is and honestly as tacky as they are I appreciate them for saying what they feel and speaking their mind and opinion. As for kanye we all can agree that his personality isn't a winner but this much uproar over a Grammy snub? Yes he's a bully but beck is a grown man that can defend himself and speak up if need be. And if his behavior is so horrible then ban him from these shows and be done with it but this shouldn't be major news.

Last edited by Faith2187; 02-11-2015 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
He still had to heavily sample a dead Ray Charles for his biggest hit. Outkast he is not.

That is the only song I like by him. The rest of his music is garbage, as is most of today's rap!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You should listen to some of Beck's old stuff. I don't know what they call it, but it's pretty funky and cool. You might enjoy it.
I am.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Last year I spent a lot of time driving and therefore listening to my Sirius XM, and I told my 20-something daughter that I was liking that new guy Beck. She rolled her eyes and said, "Mom, Beck's OLD, he's been around since the 90s!" I said, ""Well, EXCUUUUUSE ME, but because of YOU, I spent the 90's listening to Disney and Pixar songs!" So I snickered a bit over the "who is Beck" thing. And people who limit their listening to hip-hop and rap can't be expected to know.

Like others, I know who Kanye is because he likes to get on the cover of supermarket magazines, but I don't listen to hip-hop because it's not my taste.

Agree with those who say this is not a World Peace issue. Just a bunch of inflated self-important egos having their moment in the media. It's what they do. They're all getting press out of this.

I'm not overly impressed with either Taylor Swift or Beyonce. I like some songs of each. Pretty voices, but nothing amazing or special to either one. Beyonce gets more attention because of her ass-wiggling abilities, and I doubt Taylor Swift will ever be able to compete with her in that respect! There's no Grammy category for that, though.

Hmm. Maybe Beck can learn some of Beyonce's moves, and then Kanye will like him more. Cackle.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:31 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Beck needed to tell Kanye:

"Go sit down" and "shut the F up", "ain't nobody wanna hear you."

Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Last year I spent a lot of time driving and therefore listening to my Sirius XM, and I told my 20-something daughter that I was liking that new guy Beck. She rolled her eyes and said, "Mom, Beck's OLD, he's been around since the 90s!" I said, ""Well, EXCUUUUUSE ME, but because of YOU, I spent the 90's listening to Disney and Pixar songs!" So I snickered a bit over the "who is Beck" thing. And people who limit their listening to hip-hop and rap can't be expected to know.

Like others, I know who Kanye is because he likes to get on the cover of supermarket magazines, but I don't listen to hip-hop because it's not my taste.

Agree with those who say this is not a World Peace issue. Just a bunch of inflated self-important egos having their moment in the media. It's what they do. They're all getting press out of this.

I'm not overly impressed with either Taylor Swift or Beyonce. I like some songs of each. Pretty voices, but nothing amazing or special to either one. Beyonce gets more attention because of her ass-wiggling abilities, and I doubt Taylor Swift will ever be able to compete with her in that respect! There's no Grammy category for that, though.

Hmm. Maybe Beck can learn some of Beyonce's moves, and then Kanye will like him more. Cackle.
I listen to more than hip hop-arguably I listen less to hip hop and R&B than alternative and pop. Overall with the exception of country I love all types of music. But I still have no clue who Beck is. I'm not limited to hip hop but I also don't listen to the radio often or watch music videos. Still this doesn't mean anything negative regarding Beck or undermine his talent. But yes a lot of people were scratching their heads wondering who Beck was. Perhaps they are limited and just listen to hip hop or perhaps they just never heard of him, especially if they are younger and didn't hear Becks music in the nineties. But again this doesn't suggest anything bad about Beck. I agree with you about t swift and beyonce. I used to love bey because she had a good voice when she actually sang and yes she's a Great Dancer and performer and consistently puts out an album. She went across platforms combining R&B and pop and changing the game for up coming artists. R&B wasn't so pop and upbeat and was a bit more confined to a certain sound. She did that. But she was never the best vocally and she wasn't no whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, etc etc. nowadays I don't find her as impressive. As for taylor swift she writes her music, always has an album out too and tries to be a good performer. Her songs are catchy but sort of generic and not special. She sounds just like the other pop singers these days-like Cyrus, kate perry, etc. I mean she hasn't innovated anything. But I think as an artist she has her place now. At the time when kanye snubbed her I didn't believe she was talented or as much of an innovator as Bey, so I didnt think she should have won but I thought kanye was wrong for snubbing her the way he did. She was a young little girl new to the industry and he needed to pick on someone his own size.

But this uproar over him throwing shade at beck-who handled it his own way and is a grown man himself-is amusing. And undermining Kanye's talent purely as a hip hop artist based on hatred of his personality is pretty funny. When he first came out, lyrically and in terms of sound-sampling, style, sound and Chorus innovation within hiphop, music video and what he chose to rap about subject wise are all how he earned his fame. It was clear that he was rapping similar to 2pac as a way to rap for change, not to glorify drugs, killing etc. He was a welcome distraction from the garbage that had made its way on the radio.

He is a good artist-there is a reason beck acknowledged that Kanye was a genius. But he's mean and honest and offensive but why is this news? The outrage is really silly to me.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Beck needed to tell Kanye:

"Go sit down" and "shut the F up", "ain't nobody wanna hear you."

Lol. This and the other poster's "Hannibal Lecter gurney" sound like solutions to me.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I listen to more than hip hop-arguably I listen less to hip hop and R&B than alternative and pop. Overall with the exception of country I love all types of music. But I still have no clue who Beck is. I'm not limited to hip hop but I also don't listen to the radio often or watch music videos. Still this doesn't mean anything negative regarding Beck or undermine his talent. But yes a lot of people were scratching their heads wondering who Beck was. Perhaps they are limited and just listen to hip hop or perhaps they just never heard of him, especially if they are younger and didn't hear Becks music in the nineties. But again this doesn't suggest anything bad about Beck. I agree with you about t swift and beyonce. I used to love bey because she had a good voice when she actually sang and yes she's a Great Dancer and performer and consistently puts out an album. She went across platforms combining R&B and pop and changing the game for up coming artists. R&B wasn't so pop and upbeat and was a bit more confined to a certain sound. She did that. But she was never the best vocally and she wasn't no whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, etc etc. nowadays I don't find her as impressive. As for taylor swift she writes her music, always has an album out too and tries to be a good performer. Her songs are catchy but sort of generic and not special. She sounds just like the other pop singers these days-like Cyrus, kate perry, etc. I mean she hasn't innovated anything. But I think as an artist she has her place now. At the time when kanye snubbed her I didn't believe she was talented or as much of an innovator as Bey, so I didnt think she should have won but I thought kanye was wrong for snubbing her the way he did. She was a young little girl new to the industry and he needed to pick on someone his own size.

But this uproar over him throwing shade at beck-who handled it his own way and is a grown man himself-is amusing. And undermining Kanye's talent purely as a hip hop artist based on hatred of his personality is pretty funny. When he first came out, lyrically and in terms of sound-sampling, style, sound and Chorus innovation within hiphop, music video and what he chose to rap about subject wise are all how he earned his fame. It was clear that he was rapping similar to 2pac as a way to rap for change, not to glorify drugs, killing etc. He was a welcome distraction from the garbage that had made its way on the radio.

He is a good artist-there is a reason beck acknowledged that Kanye was a genius. But he's mean and honest and offensive but why is this news? The outrage is really silly to me.
Aretha! Now THERE's a female vocalist! And I loved Whitney, too. What voices.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Beyonce. She's an entertainer, and she entertains, and I appreciate that she and her husband and child are not on the front of magazines every month putting all their trash out for everyone to see. She has a nice voice, but so does Susan Boyle, and if Beyonce looked like Susan Boyle, she'd get as much attention as Susan Boyle.

I always thought Taylor Swift had a nice voice but was a little too treacly for my taste--a good singer for the teeny-bopper set, but then a few months ago I went to a benefit for a local singer who has cancer, and she sang this song "Shake It Off" that I really liked. The next day I Googled the song, and I was surprised to find out it was a Taylor Swift song, so yes, I agree that she has grown in her music.

And hey, just to show that this almost-old-lady has an open mind, I was playing with the channels on my XM while driving down to Virginia last year, and I landed on a rap channel. Something had just started, and I thought, "this sounds pretty good" and listened to it through. Looked it up later. It was 2pac's "All Eyez On Me".

Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,496 times
I love Kanye.
He's right about this topic.
I mean... Beck? did anyone even know he had an album out until this incident?
Beck and the people running the Grammys probably paid him to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events