Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:47 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

It's not about them working, it's about them going door to door soliciting. This ordinance would also keep the Girl Scouts from selling cookies door to door, too.

If the kids want work, there should be a neighborhood bulletin board somewhere they can post a notice. And, since they are kids, they probably aren't going to be working more than in a several block area so word will get around.

They could mail a flyer to each house, that will cost a bit in postage, but not that much. Would it be illegal to put a flyer in everyone's mailbox? Is that still door to door soliciting? Or illegal use of mailboxes or anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 03:24 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
You should get all the facts before posting. The kids were out at night, when there was a state of emergency. No one was supposed to be outside. A neighbor called and reported a "suspicious" person walking across their yard, so that was the reason the cops showed up in the first place. They asked the kids why they were out, and after they told them, the cops informed them that solicitations of that nature were against the local ordinance unless they obtained a permit. This ordinance was put in place to prevent those door-to-door scams on the elderly. The residents there are quite in favor of it. That said, the cops told the kids to come back during the daytime, the next day. And the boys did, and they got 5 shoveling jobs. End of story.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:09 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
'Kids were out at night during a state of emergency' Marshall law declared in Bound Brook NJ. Movement of residents restricted until 'we' the government say it's permissible for you to leave your house.
And when it's permissible and kids knock on your door asking if you want your sidewalk/driveway shoveled, make sure you first ask if they have the $450 government permit in hand to knock on your door.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Good. Damn kids always on my lawn. They keep coming around here with overpriced chocolate bars and cookies for their fund raising too. We need an ordinance to stop that to.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:36 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
With how lawyered up today's society is the only thing I would tell these teens to do is get off my lawn.

The last thing I need is to get sued because some out of shape teen pulled a muscle starting a lawn mower.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
With how lawyered up today's society is the only thing I would tell these teens to do is get off my lawn.

The last thing I need is to get sued because some out of shape teen pulled a muscle starting a lawn mower.

So it's the active kids that are most likely out of shape.The things you learn on these boards.

Nothing like criticizing the poor kids who are actually doing something rather than sitting on their duffs all day.

Not that the liability issue isn't a valid one, but note that this thread is about shoveling snow, not firing up the lawnmower. Neighborhood kids have been doing that without incident for as long as I can remember.

Quit being a grumpy old man and get off their backs.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
If it keeps the other PITA solicitors away, then I am cool with the kids having to deal with it.

Door-to-door anything should just effin' be illegal.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
There's so many old laws on the books, some of which could stem from the 1800's, and before and after the Civil War, to deter unemployed free blacks from taking jobs away from the whites, a whole array of laws were passed to deter them from soliciting work. Largely, this took place in the North/New England areas, and being this is New Jersey, that law was probably due to that!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:44 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It's not about them working, it's about them going door to door soliciting. This ordinance would also keep the Girl Scouts from selling cookies door to door, too.

If the kids want work, there should be a neighborhood bulletin board somewhere they can post a notice. And, since they are kids, they probably aren't going to be working more than in a several block area so word will get around.

They could mail a flyer to each house, that will cost a bit in postage, but not that much. Would it be illegal to put a flyer in everyone's mailbox? Is that still door to door soliciting? Or illegal use of mailboxes or anything?
I don't think most Girl Scouts sell cookies door to door anymore, mostly due to safety issues.

Cookie selling has also gone digital:

What Girl Scouts can learn from online cookie sales - CNN.com

Old 02-12-2015, 05:41 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
So it's the active kids that are most likely out of shape.The things you learn on these boards.

Nothing like criticizing the poor kids who are actually doing something rather than sitting on their duffs all day.

Not that the liability issue isn't a valid one, but note that this thread is about shoveling snow, not firing up the lawnmower. Neighborhood kids have been doing that without incident for as long as I can remember.

Quit being a grumpy old man and get off their backs.
You could still hurt yourself shoveling snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events