Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times

Advertisements

A couple of high school teens went around their neighborhood passing out flyers, door to door, announcing that they would remove snow. Someone complained, probably someone who has a snow plow mounted to a jeep, to the Bound Brook NJ police. The town has a 'no door to door soliciting without a permit'. High school kids, looking to make a few bucks are supposed to know this?
A police officer responded to the scene of the crime to reprimand the boys that they were breaking the law. Cost of the permit was not stated but I'll bet it's more than what the kids would have made shoveling snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Link?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
A couple of high school teens went around their neighborhood passing out flyers, door to door, announcing that they would remove snow. Someone complained, probably someone who has a snow plow mounted to a jeep, to the Bound Brook NJ police. The town has a 'no door to door soliciting without a permit'. High school kids, looking to make a few bucks are supposed to know this?
A police officer responded to the scene of the crime to reprimand the boys that they were breaking the law. Cost of the permit was not stated but I'll bet it's more than what the kids would have made shoveling snow.

Isn't that the pits? And I bet you're right about the snow removal companies getting their noses bent out of shape.

The problem is easily solved in neighborhoods, though. The kids don't have to go door-to-door. They can phone their neighbors or catch them outside. That's what kids around here do. Same for raking leaves in the fall.

Plus, you'd be surprised how word gets around.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Sad really. First adults take their part time jobs at minimum wage then this. Can they mow grass still: I wander.No wander they often leave college with no real world job experience.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:48 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sad really. First adults take their part time jobs at minimum wage then this. Can they mow grass still: I wander.No wander they often leave college with no real world job experience.
Immigrant rights groups will get up at arms if kids push too aggressively in to the lawn mowing business.

I wonder if these kids could get around the solicitation laws by putting up signs in their parents' front yards advertising their services? Just don't put them too close to the road so the plows can't bury them in snow.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
No, putting signs up would violate the sign ordinances .

Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter if they "should" know it. It's a law and if it's broken there are consequences.

The city I live in has that same ordinance. The purpose is to keep our streets safe. Every low life out there can't just go door to door, looking for crimes to commit.

Cost of the permit was not stated because there's no proof there was a cost. In our city, you just have to register. There is no cost involved. The kids weren't arrested, they were reprimanded. And informed of the law. They can now go and get the permit, and drum up business.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Immigrant rights groups will get up at arms if kids push too aggressively in to the lawn mowing business.

I wonder if these kids could get around the solicitation laws by putting up signs in their parents' front yards advertising their services? Just don't put them too close to the road so the plows can't bury them in snow.

They can (and do) get around it in the ways I mentioned.

Not only is it easy in multi-home subdivisions, there are all kinds of places to post service flyers--libraries, senior citizen centers, laundromats, garden shops, pet stores. We see (and have, for years) those flyers with the "take one" tabs in many places.

If that's what they need to do, then they should do it.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Bound Brook cops stop teens seeking snow shoveling work

$450 (Good for 180 day) and i'm sure it would take at least a week for them to process the request.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
So kids have to go thru permit application to mow grass now. Sad. Government at work doing what it does best. Create red tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events