Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:35 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,516,423 times

Advertisements

Last I heard 102+ cases in the USA and 7 in Canada. So far the relationship between the 7 in Canada is unclear, other than 6 being in Toronto and the other being someone who had recently been in Toronto several times. It looks as though governments are going to crack down on people who refuse vaccinations on religious and personal liberty grounds. In the last few days people who have opposed vaccinations claiming they cause serious health problems in some cases have been being stridently attacked. One example is Queen's University (Canada) professor Melody Torcolacci. So what's going on here? Is the outbreak a "natural" event, a bio-terror attack, or a black op? First we have an unprecedented ebola outbreak, then a complete fubar with the flu vaccine, now a rapidly worsening measels outbreak all within the last six months.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:52 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,100,140 times
The short answer: Out of control liberals who reject anything to do with health science and substitute their own.

I full expect polio to mount a comeback

Old 02-06-2015, 11:01 PM

37,074 posts, read 42,043,953 times
Measles spreads, it's just that simple. What do you think is "behind it" besides someone who had the measles spreading it to others? I mean, if it was some sort of plot it's a failure. If anything, it's showing us how well the measles immunizations work because it HASN'T become an epidemic, it's just an expected outcome of an unfortunate situation.

The flu shot is always a "best guess"

Ebola has been around for a lot longer than most people posting here know about. They just never cared because it wasn't in the news on in the USA. It's also an expected outcome, just a matter of time really.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:32 PM

36,992 posts, read 41,017,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Last I heard 102+ cases in the USA and 7 in Canada. So far the relationship between the 7 in Canada is unclear, other than 6 being in Toronto and the other being someone who had recently been in Toronto several times. It looks as though governments are going to crack down on people who refuse vaccinations on religious and personal liberty grounds. In the last few days people who have opposed vaccinations claiming they cause serious health problems in some cases have been being stridently attacked. One example is Queen's University (Canada) professor Melody Torcolacci. So what's going on here? Is the outbreak a "natural" event, a bio-terror attack, or a black op? First we have an unprecedented ebola outbreak, then a complete fubar with the flu vaccine, now a rapidly worsening measels outbreak all within the last six months.
What has happened with the US measles outbreak is that someone who had been out of the country, most likely someone not vaccinated against measles, probably a tourist, visited an area where measles still circulates. That person picked up the virus and visited Disneyland while he was infectious. Measles is infectious for up to four days before symptoms begin, and that person may have gone back home before he got sick. That person has not been identified. The people who were exposed at Disneyland and who have gotten the disease were mostly unvaccinated (if you are susceptible to the virus you have a 90% chance of catching it). So the initial case was imported into the US and from there it has been spread by mostly unvaccinated people. Of those whose vaccination status is known, a few who have been vaccinated have gotten the disease; however, for them the disease is generally milder. Some victims have needed hospitalization.

This is a totally natural event. It is related to more people choosing not to vaccinate following Wakefield's now discredited "study" linking measles and autism.

There is nothing mysterious about the Ebola outbreak, which differs from previous outbreaks in that it was brought into a densely populated area where it was more difficult to contain than previous episodes, which were in isolated communities in the bush. It has been spread in large part by people unwilling to abstain from funeral rites that involve handling the bodies of dead people. Still a totally natural event.

The flu vaccine this year is mismatched. There was no fubar, just the nature of the influenza virus, which makes it extremely difficult to choose the viral strains to use in the vaccine. Ideally, we would have one vaccine that would protect against all strains of influenza, just as we have one vaccine for measles, polio, chickenpox, and others. There is some promising research on that front. Yet another totally natural event.

No bio-terror. No "black ops".

Students have been complaining about Melody Torcolacci for some time. Expect to see her gone, now, I suspect. She apparently teaches that vaccines cause autism. They don't.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 AM

14,686 posts, read 14,826,861 times
^^^ Ceece and SuzyQ's explanations above is the way it is. Sensible and logical explanations of natural events.

I know some people are happiest in their own minds believing that it's all some kind of dreaded conspiracy but that kind of conspiranoia is pointless and doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,561,309 times
I agree with everyone, no conspiracy we get Measles outbreaks in America every year, they make good headlines. Even if we acheived a 100% vaccination rate for children here we would still get outbreaks. We have a high rate already of children who are vaccinated but adults are a different story. Most of this hype gets centered around parents who don't vax their kids, but that really isn't the problem, that's a very small part of the population who is subject to Measles. Adults haven't gotten boosters and travel to other countries and bring it back. Adults come here with Measles and bring it in, just like they did with Ebola. We don't require adults vax's for Measles when traveling or maybe the outbreaks would be smaller.

I get real sick of hearing these parents and these kids who don't vax are the cause of outbreaks. They are only involved, we would still have small outbreaks yearly if all kids were vaccinated. Babies would still get it because they are to young for their vax. It takes a herd, and the real problem is the adults in our herd who aren't immune, not the kids. Adults are mostly responsible for traveling abroad and bringing back illness, not 6, 7 and 8 year old.

In 2000 America was stated to be eliminated from our country. It's other countries where it is not eliminated that is the problem. Why people waste time and hatred on blaming the very few parents that don't vax here I have no idea. It's a waste of time, and just causes conflict. It's no mystery in America why we get outbreaks yearly, totally expected. We follow them yearly. Even if every child had a vaccine we would still get these outbreaks.
Measles outbreaks will stop when we have eliminated it from all other countries.

Measles | Frequently Asked Questions about Measles in U.S. | CDC

Old 02-07-2015, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,904,897 times
It's my opinion that the measles outbreak was a good thing even though some got real sick. I didn't know until this week that people who were born in 1957 or before are at risk because they were only given one vaccine (norm at the time) instead of the (now) required two.

I also didn't know that it is possible that older peoples once thought solid immunity could be an issue now and that said immunity can be checked with a simple blood test with a booster given if needed.

I'm going to get mine checked next time I get my blood run, better safe then sorry.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:14 AM

10,194 posts, read 6,257,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I agree with everyone, no conspiracy we get Measles outbreaks in America every year, they make good headlines. Even if we acheived a 100% vaccination rate for children here we would still get outbreaks. We have a high rate already of children who are vaccinated but adults are a different story. Most of this hype gets centered around parents who don't vax their kids, but that really isn't the problem, that's a very small part of the population who is subject to Measles. Adults haven't gotten boosters and travel to other countries and bring it back. Adults come here with Measles and bring it in, just like they did with Ebola. We don't require adults vax's for Measles when traveling or maybe the outbreaks would be smaller.

I get real sick of hearing these parents and these kids who don't vax are the cause of outbreaks. They are only involved, we would still have small outbreaks yearly if all kids were vaccinated. Babies would still get it because they are to young for their vax. It takes a herd, and the real problem is the adults in our herd who aren't immune, not the kids. Adults are mostly responsible for traveling abroad and bringing back illness, not 6, 7 and 8 year old.

In 2000 America was stated to be eliminated from our country. It's other countries where it is not eliminated that is the problem. Why people waste time and hatred on blaming the very few parents that don't vax here I have no idea. It's a waste of time, and just causes conflict. It's no mystery in America why we get outbreaks yearly, totally expected. We follow them yearly. Even if every child had a vaccine we would still get these outbreaks.
Measles outbreaks will stop when we have eliminated it from all other countries.

Measles | Frequently Asked Questions about Measles in U.S. | CDC
Very well put. I have been saying the same. The percentage of unvaccinated children is very small. The percentage of unvaccinated/undervaccinated adults is very high. Easier to identify, and enforce on, unvaccinated little children. How with adults?

Noninfluenza Vaccination Coverage Among Adults — United States, 2012
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6334a1.htm

Last edited by Jo48; 02-07-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 07:24 AM

35,421 posts, read 20,805,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The short answer: Out of control liberals who reject anything to do with health science and substitute their own.

I full expect polio to mount a comeback
its not the liberals its the conservative anti govt control folks- totally off

Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 AM

458 posts, read 614,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
its not the liberals its the conservative anti govt control folks- totally off
Mississippi, a very conservative state, has one of the nation's highest vaccination rates. Berkeley, a very liberal city, has a very high rate of unvaccinated children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events