U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:12 AM

13,129 posts, read 9,217,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What this tells me is not that there's anything wrong with ACA. It tells me what I already knew - that companies do not want to pay their employee's health care and they'll do whatever they can to get out of it.
Perhaps, perhaps not.

If you were a business owner with a FIXED personnel budget, you do not have much choice.
Once a business' profit margin is too small, it goes out of business, and terminating all jobs.

The truth is that the REAL culprit in driving up medical costs is the GOVERNMENT.
Since it began meddling in the 19th century, costs have gone up, and scarcity became the norm.

Frankly, COMMON SENSE tells me that the more parasites between you, the patient, and the care giver, the HIGHER the cost will be.

Then:
You => pay => Physician
Now:
You => pay => Physician, Insurance company, stock dividends, intake clerk, physician's assistant, office manager, forms clerk, administrative overhead (paperwork mandated by law), tax accountant, malpractice insurance, legal fees, etc, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 04:09 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,448,100 times
Staples sucks.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 AM

17,329 posts, read 14,859,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What does making 30 hours full time have to do with Obamacare ?
Why is Obamacare tied to hours worked ?

Obamacare is separate from employer sponsored health insurance.
It was created because these people had no employer sponsored health insurance.

Now they work less hours and have premiums to pay and huge out of pocket expenses.

These people were never full time but were working up to 32-35 hours a week. Now they are at 29 or less, making less money to live off of.
The poster said they used to hire people for 32 hours, now they are keeping them to 25...my point is 32 hours was probably still just under the benefits threshold, so I don't think the workers are worse off having 25 hours and ACA versus 32 hours and no health care. These extra 7-10 hours were not enough to purchase health care prior to ACA.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You missed the point. Before ACA Part Timers could get medical insurance. After ACA came in with the changes the Republicans made to it so that each store in Big Box retailers under ACA is now seen as a separate company. Do you understand now? Each store is treated as if they were different companies.

Staples always had less 50 employees in each store, but the key words are ...less than 30 hours....

As to your question of which program I would choose for the US: The Canadian or the Israeli.

I'm Republican, Upper middle class, Self employed and am willing to pay more taxes in order to have national healthcare. Thus I believe there should be no ceiling in payments into Medicare and the additional percentage I pay should be paid by everyone.

Questions and Answers for the Additional Medicare Tax

Thus ACA and Medicare should be one program so one is covered from their birth to their death. Also dental, eye care, basic home care, basic facility care and prescriptions should be covered. There should be a base programs for all citizens of the US, and the loopholes should be closed so that non-citizens don't get free coverage. If one wants more than the basics, then they can pay individually for what is known as Cadillac plans. I pay more and I've been screwed by the changes made by ACA where certain things were covered one way are now covered in another way that is less than before.
I agree with you about Universal care...unfortunately we live in a country where our 2 parties don't talk to each other and try to scare people with "death panel" propaganda fear mongering, so we get what we get which usually is less than ideal.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 AM

27,288 posts, read 11,400,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Perhaps, perhaps not.

If you were a business owner with a FIXED personnel budget, you do not have much choice.
Once a business' profit margin is too small, it goes out of business, and terminating all jobs.

The truth is that the REAL culprit in driving up medical costs is the GOVERNMENT.
Since it began meddling in the 19th century, costs have gone up, and scarcity became the norm.

Frankly, COMMON SENSE tells me that the more parasites between you, the patient, and the care giver, the HIGHER the cost will be.

Then:
You => pay => Physician
Now:
You => pay => Physician, Insurance company, stock dividends, intake clerk, physician's assistant, office manager, forms clerk, administrative overhead (paperwork mandated by law), tax accountant, malpractice insurance, legal fees, etc, and so forth.
The government doesn't require ^ all of that.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 AM

18,958 posts, read 8,900,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Perhaps, perhaps not.

Then:
You => pay => Physician
Now:
I don't agree that this is the primary reason medical costs have increased.

When I grew up in the 1950s, I remember that when someone had a heart attack, they most likely died or became disabled. Now there are all sorts of treatments -- angioplasty, stents, etc. that simply didn't exist before. I myself have a heart condition that 50 years ago would have resulted in having to simply stay home and rest all the time; with modern treatments I can live a fairly normal life.

I had an eye condition that even 30 years ago caused blindness. Now laser surgery totally prevents blindness.

And these medical advances have occurred in many, many fields of medicine. Sorry, but a $10 office call didn't necessarily get one very far 50 years ago in terms of curing various medical conditions.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:33 AM

15,405 posts, read 8,054,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And please tell us exactly how Obama screwed up you and your daughter's ability to get health coverage
I said it screwed up her ability to get health coverage which it has. Her previous policy was much cheaper and had a $1250 deductible and the Obama sux policy has a deductible of over $6k...so all of her life until Obamacare took effect, she had good medical coverage. Now, she won't get medical attention because she can't afford the deductible. Her husband got into a motorcycle crash last night and didn't go to the hospital because of the deductible. Obamacare sux sux sux sux sux!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 AM

27,288 posts, read 11,400,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I said it screwed up her ability to get health coverage which it has. Her previous policy was much cheaper and had a $1250 deductible and the Obama sux policy has a deductible of over $6k...so all of her life until Obamacare took effect, she had good medical coverage. Now, she won't get medical attention because she can't afford the deductible. Her husband got into a motorcycle crash last night and didn't go to the hospital because of the deductible. Obamacare sux sux sux sux sux!!!!!!!!!!
I can guarantee you that her old policy had problems with it because if it didn't, she could have stayed with it when the ACA became law. Most of these policies had annual and lifetime limits, exclusions for pre-existing conditions, or a very small pool of plan physicians and hospitals. The ACA doesn't allow those crap policies, so I understand why people who never read the terms of their old policy feel ripped off. But when you analyze them it's comparing apples with oranges. I would much prefer medicare for all, with the ability to buy extended policies for additional coverage as an option, but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime

Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You don't have to take it, you can still buy a policy on the open market. I have NJ Blue Cross/Blue Shield and pay for it myself. You just can't get subsidized for it.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,937,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The poster said they used to hire people for 32 hours, now they are keeping them to 25...my point is 32 hours was probably still just under the benefits threshold, so I don't think the workers are worse off having 25 hours and ACA versus 32 hours and no health care. These extra 7-10 hours were not enough to purchase health care prior to ACA.
If the IRS didn't make that new ruling about 30 hours they could have had 32 hours and health insurance.

The point of Obamacare was to provide insurance to those that could not afford it.

30 hours being full time never came into the picture until after the law got passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or