U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:43 PM

5,141 posts, read 2,950,766 times

Advertisements

Where did they go that they think is better? How wealthy are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:12 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,936,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
A whole 3,400 people out of 320,000,000?
Well it's a start.

Only 319,996,600 left to go.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 AM

20,296 posts, read 16,471,247 times
They aren't doing it out of moral outrage, they are doing it to get out of paying their fair share of taxes.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM

7,436 posts, read 7,984,410 times
Don't let the Door Knob hit you in the A$$ on the way out the door

Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 AM

10,953 posts, read 4,813,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They aren't doing it out of moral outrage, they are doing it to get out of paying their fair share of taxes.
If they're living, working and operating complete completely outside the US, they shouldn't have to pay US taxes, imho. That's just straight up pimping.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:08 AM

20,296 posts, read 16,471,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If they're living, working and operating complete completely outside the US, they shouldn't have to pay US taxes, imho. That's just straight up pimping.
I would agree with that. The surge in this happened after the tax code was changed in 2010 to make it harder for Americans to use foreign banks. My point was to OP, who is attributing the exodus to irrelevant issues like religion, "destruction of our moral values", etc. no one is doing this because of the war on Christmas or anything other than finances.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:38 AM

107 posts, read 101,776 times
I think it's weird how offended by the idea of people changing their nationality.

People immigrate all the time (including 8 million plus Americans living abroad). A Canadian becoming a naturalised Swede or something isn't a bad thing so an American becoming a naturalised German or something isn't something to raise eyebrows at either. Living somewhere else does not always (I'd guess not even a majority of the time) indicate that you are disillusioned with America or whatever. People leave for economic reasons, personal reasons, etc.

If I became a citizen of another country personally I'd want to remain a dual-citizen. There are several reasons why someone would renounce their citizenship though:

1. They simply don't need it. Especially if they are living in another country that has the same or better protections for its citizens and a passport that can get them into all of the same places.
2. Their new country doesn't allow dual-citizenship or only allows it for certain countries.
3. America is the only country to tax its citizens living abroad. If they don't have the money to pay outrageous taxes they'll end up renouncing their citizenship. Some countries have tax agreements with the US but still.

Some are politically motivated (I remember specifically a story about someone in the army who left, renounced his citizenship, and is working towards Dutch citizenship on a 'political asylum' visa), but I'm not convinced it's a majority.

Edit: actually read the thread now.

I see a bunch of you already discussed this. As for some of you I can't believe you think changing your nationality via living somewhere else is like this traitorous act lol.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:49 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,981,323 times
If they want to do it, go for it. Though for their sake I hope they don't have strong ties to this country or plan to return later. Depending on what country they become a citizen of, a tourist visa can be a real pain. And in that case having more ties to the US then their current country will actually hurt their chances!

Old 02-13-2015, 04:28 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,502,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkonkomanative View Post
good for them. I hope they find success and happiness. I think the united states cares enough to let them go. Are you planning to join them?
:d :d :d :d :d

Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 AM

685 posts, read 561,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeenGreen View Post
A record-setting number of Americans renounced their citizenship in 2014, up from 2,999 in 2013 to 3,415, Treasury Department statistics showed.

U.S. mass exodus: Record number of Americans renounced citizenship in 2014 - Washington Times

Another example how little the US government cares about their citizens. The greed and stupidity is endless. Massive taxes, massive violations of our Constitution especially the 4th and 1st Amendment. The destruction of our moral values, the destruction of our religion. What else?
It never ceases to amaze me how many attention-getting words and phrases there are that hook you in, write a rather ridiculous article, and have people believing them implicitly or certainly what appears to be at face-value. If the W.Times had mentioned the number in the headline, I would've skipped reading it.

The number (as posters pointed out) are extremely low. It's hogwash and a space user. When I saw the link with the Washington Times listed, I immediately wondered how hokey the article would be and I wasn't disappointed.

But yes, the "greed and stupidity" <I'm adding> from corporate-run America is endless. I agree.
1. A destruction of our moral values? This is a discussion in and off itself because people from different religions and groups would have to define them.
2. There isn't one religion as denoted in your statement, "...the destruction of our religion." I disagree with that. There are many and that makes it more conducive for non-citizens to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events