U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 PM

172 posts, read 168,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Not true. You're being taxed because you're an American citizen living in another country. If other countries adopted citizen based taxation, they could tax their own citizens living in the US, including dual citizens, but they couldn't tax American citizens living in the US who are not their citizens.
The fact that the United States and Eritrea are the only two countries that tax their citizens regardless of where they live, what does that tell you about the TOTAL absurdity of that system?

Its yet another issue- if a rapidly increasing number of issues- where America is on the fringe, and mocked.

For whatever its worth, this is one area where Republicans have it totally right.
FATCA is definitely responsible for a lot of this but the only people in office right now advocating for the rights of US citizens living abroad are the Republicans. The Democrats are so hysterical about 'sticking it to the rich' that they've created a system where the rich and ordinary Americans alike, who have interests or family overseas, are just leaving the country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:21 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,506,574 times
Default Renouncing will cost you...

What I think is funny is the cost to exit the U.S. citizenship system.

"Fleeing America and renouncing U.S. citizenship is now more expensive. With no warning, the U.S. Consular Services' fee for renouncing citizenship just went from no cost to a whopping $450"

Cost of Renouncing US Citizenship Now More Expensive | FleeAmerica.com | Helping You Develop Your Exit Strategy

That then went up,up,up!

But not everyone can get rid of their U.S. citizenship even if they wanted to. The actual fees required to formally renounce U.S. citizenship increased to $2,350 in September, a 400 percent rise from the previous $450 fee. State Department officials said the increase was due to rising costs associated with processing applications, including a costly interview process.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/69093/2...itizenship.htm

Old 02-15-2015, 08:35 PM

107 posts, read 95,664 times
The rising fees are dumb. I get the whole tax evasion thing but that is not why most people leave the US. That's really not fair to those who are required to renounce their citizenship if their new country does not accept dual citizenship. $2,350 is more than most can afford (and no, not everyone who emigrates is rich).

Still can't believe how insecure some of you are over people leaving lol. There is no 'best' country. There is no 'richest' country. Renouncing citizenship is also not a personal attack towards you or America. lol

Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM

103 posts, read 73,160 times
But did they leave to go to a country that has better welfare? I've heard Ireland is really generous. And I just LOVE gingers.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:10 PM

41,087 posts, read 32,773,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Correction:

It actually increased a little.

Not sure what the process is for renouncing USA citizenship, but I believe that the cost is about $3000. Not sure how much that dissuades people from going through with it. It is, of course, peanuts for the ones who have much to lose by remaining USA citizens. Once people begin to realize how draconian the new snooping powers are, I'm certain this number will skyrocket...
I honestly think I mis typed that but i could be wrong. Either way - the percentage is minute, as is the change.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 AM

9,520 posts, read 14,313,796 times
Costa Rica is a popular destination. No army and no income tax. No hassles either. From those who are leaving, the harassment factor is as big as he economic factor.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:15 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,150,299 times
Well, we only had one Canadian renounce his citizenship last year!

Ted Cruz
United States Senator
Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz is the junior United States Senator from Texas. Elected in 2012, he is the first Latino to hold the office of US Senator from Texas. Cruz is a member of the Republican Party. Wikipedia
Born: December 22, 1970 (age 44), Calgary
Nationality: American
Spouse: Heidi Nelson Cruz (m. 2001)
Office: Senator (R-TX) since 2013
Parents: Rafael Cruz, Eleanor Darragh
Education: Harvard University, Princeton University, Harvard Law

Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,259,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, we only had one Canadian renounce his citizenship last year!

Ted Cruz
United States Senator
Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz is the junior United States Senator from Texas. Elected in 2012, he is the first Latino to hold the office of US Senator from Texas. Cruz is a member of the Republican Party. Wikipedia
Born: December 22, 1970 (age 44), Calgary
Nationality: American
Spouse: Heidi Nelson Cruz (m. 2001)
Office: Senator (R-TX) since 2013
Parents: Rafael Cruz, Eleanor Darragh
Education: Harvard University, Princeton University, Harvard Law

What a riot. More hypocrisy from the right. This was probably his first step to proving he can run for President of the United States. After all, his mother was an American. (as if Obama's mother was what.. Oh, I know. She was from Kansas! LOL (that's somewhere near the U.S. if I recall.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM

7,126 posts, read 2,902,119 times
If your not happy here LEAVE!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:44 AM

20,891 posts, read 22,478,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
If your not happy here LEAVE!
Exactly. Life is too short for anyone to be living in a place where they are not happy. No one should be miserable just because people are going to look down on them just because they are trying to find the place that is right for them. In the end, the only person you have to answer to is you. Certainly not a bunch of judgmental people on the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events