U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,152,808 times
Reputation: 1706

Advertisements

I'll believe that when homosexuals start to get charged with hate crimes for inciting hatred against Christians (and other religions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
And yet again, LGBT people are not asking for special treatment, they are asking for equal protections under the law, as promised in the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:05 PM
 
920 posts, read 480,689 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Bigot: From Merriam‑Webster

a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group.

You don't think that describes you? lol!

I don't "strongly or unfairly dislike" gays. I don't refuse to accept gays. My son is gay. I do refuse to kowtow to the special treatment that gays expect from everyone else.

I think that describes a lot of gay people when it comes to respecting the religious belief of others, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:07 PM
 
7,548 posts, read 4,508,570 times
Reputation: 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
No one is taking rights away from anyone. Refusing to provide creative services to an event that your faith informs you is a moral abominations does not take the rights of a gay couple from walking across the street and engaging the services of another vendor.

No, they are seeking the special treatment of seeking protection because of their sexual attraction, not because they are being treated differently than another man/woman.
You're mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,725,926 times
Reputation: 8987
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Exactly. If gays really were honest about this being about "being with the one I love," they would not use the force of the state to destroy family businesses over cakes and flowers. And everyone pretty much knows that.
And if [fill-in-the-blank] were honest about [fill-in-the-injustice] they would not use the force of the state to destroy businesses over [fill-in-the-product or service].

And now let's fill in the blanks:

blacks, segregation, lunch counters

Mexicans, exploitation, harvesting

women, voting, everything

women, glass ceilings, promotions


See how easy this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
2,063 posts, read 1,740,875 times
Reputation: 1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Wrong. Religion is included in anti-discrimination laws including the one that 'Kansas just removed sexual orientation from.
So, I can be fired because I am homosexual, but you can't be fired because of your religion. Why should religion have special protections?
Religious tolerance was one of the reason our founding fathers (and mothers ) like the pilgrims came to America . More wars have been fought over religion then for any other reason in history. Being the wrong religion in some countries in past history could get you killed. Many people on this planet have such deeply help religious beliefs they are willing to die to protect them.It's a deeply emotional issue. That is why.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 02-12-2015 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM
 
920 posts, read 480,689 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have never been to a pride parade, because I don't like crowds. If they bother you I suggest you avoid them. People have the right to have parades, and there are thousands of them all over the country. Ever hear of Mardi Gras?
I do avoid them. That was not the point, but since you claim not to have ever attended, you cannot speak with any authority on the issue.

The issue was not the parade in and of itself, but you know that, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM
 
7,548 posts, read 4,508,570 times
Reputation: 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I'll believe that when homosexuals start to get charged with hate crimes for inciting hatred against Christians (and other religions).
Oh, you are still here. Still waiting to hear how hetero divorce does not impact employers, yet homo divorce will surely be the downfall of employers everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:11 PM
 
920 posts, read 480,689 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm guessing in the same place your right to "bump uglies with the opposite sex" is located

Great, then we agree that the issue of sexual attraction is no where in the Constitution, thus does not have any role in governing who we want to get with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 20,216,106 times
Reputation: 22098
The world IS changing and I hope that by the time my son grows up, everyone will be equal under the law and there will be no sanctioned discrimination. It's already becoming less and less acceptable to be prejudiced against gay people - and I hope that the people in my son's generation will have made it practically non-existent. The people that are fighting against gay rights are fighting a losing battle and they know it - so they become more angry and more hate filled. But they are going to lose - just like the people that hated the blacks, the Jews, the Asians, etc. all lost as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:14 PM
 
920 posts, read 480,689 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Treatment on par with blacks, Jews etc. is "special"?

It appears you feel being obliged to extend the same courtesy to the minority as is extended to the majority constitutes "special" treatment. That's - not the case.
Stop pulling out the old canard that sexual attraction is equal to ethnicity or race. It isn't. Your attempt to equate victims of the Holocaust and victims of fire hoses and police dogs is demeaning to both those groups and our intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top