U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,869 posts, read 13,717,959 times
Reputation: 8987

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
The people that are fighting against gay rights are fighting a losing battle and they know it - so they become more angry and more hate filled. But they are going to lose - just like the people that hated the blacks, the Jews, the Asians, etc. all lost as well.

Exactly -- people see their secure little hate-filled bubble collapsing. And they hate that just as much as they hate gays/immigrants/science/atheism/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,463 posts, read 9,832,079 times
Reputation: 7551
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
No one is taking rights away from anyone. Refusing to provide creative services to an event that your faith informs you is a moral abominations does not take the rights of a gay couple from walking across the street and engaging the services of another vendor.

No, they are seeking the special treatment of seeking protection because of their sexual attraction, not because they are being treated differently than another man/woman.
Then do not offer that service if it is offensive to your religion. You don't see Jewish delis selling pork because it is against their religion. Don't sell wedding cakes if it is going to violate your religion.

We are being treated differently if a man and woman can walk into the same bakery and buy the same cake that we were refused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:20 PM
 
920 posts, read 480,610 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And if [fill-in-the-blank] were honest about [fill-in-the-injustice] they would not use the force of the state to destroy businesses over [fill-in-the-product or service].

And now let's fill in the blanks:

blacks, segregation, lunch counters

Mexicans, exploitation, harvesting

women, voting, everything

women, glass ceilings, promotions


See how easy this is?

Blacks were not seeking to be treated differently because of who they were sexually attracted to. A black man wanted to be treated like any other man.

I don't even know what you mean about Mexicans being exploited and harvesting...

Women were seeking equal say in the election of office holders who would have a direct effect on their lives. They were asking for the same right to cast a single vote, just like men. They were not seeking a special privilege to vote twice because they are women. Gay men and straight men are both free to marry the opposite sex. Gay men want the special privilege to marry the same sex because that is who they are attracted to. SPECIAL TREATMENT.

Women lost the ERA if you recall...why, cause it was stupid and sought special treatment based on genitalia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,463 posts, read 9,832,079 times
Reputation: 7551
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Exactly. If gays really were honest about this being about "being with the one I love," they would not use the force of the state to destroy family businesses over cakes and flowers. And everyone pretty much knows that.
The law was in effect BEFORE same sex marriage was even legal in Oregon. The cake was not even for a wedding, but a commitment ceremony. The bakery opened AFTER the laws were in place.

How difficult is it to understand that there are laws for operating businesses, and ALL BUSINESSES have to follow the same laws? Your religious beliefs do not grant you special dispensation to break the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 20,208,183 times
Reputation: 22098
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Stop pulling out the old canard that sexual attraction is equal to ethnicity or race. It isn't. Your attempt to equate victims of the Holocaust and victims of fire hoses and police dogs is demeaning to both those groups and our intelligence.
They are all victims of prejudice. Prejudice will always exist because there will always be people that need someone to hate to make them feel better about themselves - but gradually these things become less and less acceptable. It's scary for those that hate because they want to feel that it is okay - even right- for them to hate - but it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,463 posts, read 9,832,079 times
Reputation: 7551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I'll believe that when homosexuals start to get charged with hate crimes for inciting hatred against Christians (and other religions).
Because there are hordes of gays out beating and killing Christians, and refusing Christians equal rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,463 posts, read 9,832,079 times
Reputation: 7551
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I don't "strongly or unfairly dislike" gays. I don't refuse to accept gays. My son is gay. I do refuse to kowtow to the special treatment that gays expect from everyone else.

I think that describes a lot of gay people when it comes to respecting the religious belief of others, though.
What "special treatment" are gays getting?

No one is stopping you from having any religious belief you want. BUT your religious beliefs do not give you a get out of jail free card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,463 posts, read 9,832,079 times
Reputation: 7551
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Religious tolerance was one of the reason our founding fathers (and mothers ) like the pilgrims came to America . More wars have been fought over religion then for any other reason in history. Being the wrong religion in some countries in the past history could get you killed. Many people on this planet have such deeply help religious beliefs they are willing to die to protect them.It's a very deeply emotional issue. That is why.
Which has nothing to do with why a purely 100% chosen behavior is given special protections in employment, and public accommodations.

Do you think that being fired for who I am married to is not a deeply emotional issue?
Do you think that being refused service because of who I am married to is not a deeply emotional issue?
Do you think that being denied the same rights as my neighbors because of who I am married to is not a deeply emotional issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:28 PM
 
30,057 posts, read 15,377,701 times
Reputation: 15744
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Stop pulling out the old canard that sexual attraction is equal to ethnicity or race. It isn't.
A deeply ingrained characteristic that is beyond the individual's ability to change? I'd say it's fairly precise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2015, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
19,463 posts, read 9,832,079 times
Reputation: 7551
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I do avoid them. That was not the point, but since you claim not to have ever attended, you cannot speak with any authority on the issue.

The issue was not the parade in and of itself, but you know that, right?
I have been to Mardi Gras, and can tell you all about the heterosexuals doing disgusting things on the streets. I have been to spring break in Daytona, and can tell you all about the disgusting things that heterosexuals do on the beach in broad day light.

Why don't you clean up your own house before looking under the rugs in others houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top