U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 02:56 PM

29,914 posts, read 15,248,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Wrong again. The interracial couple were not trying to redefine marriage based on their sexual preference, they were seeking equal treatment as a man and a woman under the laws that already existed.
They very much tried to redefine marriage as it was considered in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 02:56 PM

21,073 posts, read 15,263,791 times
Quote:
No one forced them to open a family business 40 years ago, but one gay couple (who had been customers for over 9 years) can destroy a legacy because they had to walk across the street to get a cake.

I continue to find this bit of information fascinating. This couple had been customers for over 9 years and yet one day the baker decided to turn them away.

Was their "lifestyle" not abhorrent before?
And if not, why?

Quote:
If you think that endears the gay community and their "fight for equality" to the community at large, you are crazy. It's not about homophobia, it is about the militant attitude that gays require more than tolerance or even acceptance. There is no middle ground with gays, either embrace and celebrate homosexuality willingly or WE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN.

It is not about being treated "equally" it is about being treated specially and by trampling on the rights of others to prove their "equality."

Gays have become the bullies they detest, they just refuse to deal with it.

Was this couple being treated "specially" for the duration of these 9 years?
Did they request something that others did not request?
Were they the only couple to ever ask for a wedding cake?

I would really like to understand just how exactly they were asking to be "treated specially."

Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,144,866 times
Like I said before, it doesn't matter what rationalizations bigots come up with. They are on the wrong side of history and times are changing. It scares them so they become even more hate filled and feel justified in their hatred. But it doesn't matter because they are losing.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 PM

19,428 posts, read 9,761,897 times
Quote:
Wrong again. The interracial couple were not trying to redefine marriage based on their sexual preference, they were seeking equal treatment as a man and a woman under the laws that already existed. Marriage is between one man and one woman. That definition never included the race or ethnicity of either participant, which is why that law was unconstitutional.

You are arguing apples while trying to prove oranges.
Considering the definition, and laws, of some states said that marriage was between a man and a woman of the same race, and in fact the Lovings were taken to jail for getting married in another state, you are wrong. They were trying to change the laws to allow marriage between two different races.

But don't let something like historical facts get in the way of your rant.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:58 PM

920 posts, read 477,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's more than a little specious to compare taste in frozen treats with sexual orientation, but of course you know that. That being said, if the government hands out frozen treats in the first place, why shouldn't it accommodate those whose tastes run different? They obey the laws, pay their taxes, no? What makes it right for the Ice Cream faction to say "Frozen treats for us, but not for you?"

See, you don't understand analogies. You are being obtuse. I was not "comparing" frozen treats to sexual orientation, I was using frozen treats as an example to make the concept easier to understand. But apparently, not easy enough for some.

The analogy I provided clearly shows that the demand for a different item that is offered to everyone else, based solely on the particular tastes of a particular group is by its very nature, special treatment.

Nothing in my analogy indicated that the government was refusing to serve everyone equally, and there is no "ICE CREAM" faction...the free ice cream was offered to everyone equally...it is the free frozen yogurt faction that demands the special rights.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:05 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,161,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeenGreen View Post
With the stroke of a pen, Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback erased protections offered to LGBT state employees facing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

Governor orders end to LGBT protected class

What is more important than LGBT's 'rights', are American children who are brainwashed every school day. Because these children are the real victims! Where are our children's rights?
I don't believe that anyone should be discriminated against based on sexual preference, but nobody will ever convince me that "transgendered" is anything more than a mental illness. As such, I don't see why they should be afforded any more protection than anyone else suffering a mental illness.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:06 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,526,852 times
Quote:
I don't "strongly or unfairly dislike" gays. I don't refuse to accept gays. My son is gay. I do refuse to kowtow to the special treatment that gays expect from everyone else.

I think that describes a lot of gay people when it comes to respecting the religious belief of others, though.
I bet you have quite the relationship with your son

Old 02-12-2015, 03:06 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,144,866 times
Quote:
See, you don't understand analogies. You are being obtuse. I was not "comparing" frozen treats to sexual orientation, I was using frozen treats as an example to make the concept easier to understand. But apparently, not easy enough for some.

The analogy I provided clearly shows that the demand for a different item that is offered to everyone else, based solely on the particular tastes of a particular group is by its very nature, special treatment.

Nothing in my analogy indicated that the government was refusing to serve everyone equally, and there is no "ICE CREAM" faction...the free ice cream was offered to everyone equally...it is the free frozen yogurt faction that demands the special rights.
You analogy simply does not work. It would be like offering ice cream only to some people and not to others. That is exactly why gay marriage is going to soon be legal in the entire country because most people realize this.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,619,230 times
Quote:
I don't "strongly or unfairly dislike" gays. I don't refuse to accept gays. My son is gay.
Bull.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,663,083 times
Quote:
Judge much! LOL I think you do a lot more projecting onto others that disagree with you, than you understand. For someone who keeps spouting the words hate and hate-filled...you may want to pick up a mirror every once in a while.

I'm not the one advocating denying the rights of my neighbors. My calling out bigots may sting them and possibly hurt their feelings. But it doesn't affect the bigots' job prospects, tax liability, end of life decisions, or property rights. Allowing companies to discriminate based on orientation, or denying homosexual couples the same property and power of attorney rights that my wife and I enjoy is what's judgmental.

The constant use of "tradition" is appalling. It was also once traditional for women to know their place and for other ethnicities to accept their second-class status. I'm glad those days are mostly over. I'll be glad when they're gone for good and just a distant memory.

The "war" over homosexual marriage is over. Homosexuals won. We're just tying up the loose ends this decade. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or